The Student Room Group

Would you let...?

Question 1- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies, tales,videogames,etc with a homosexual characters? Yes or not and why?
Question 2- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies,tales,videogames,etc with a medium content of violence (Black Op or San Andreas for videogames, violence descripted war tales, movies including shootings. Yes or not and why?
If you answered No to Question 1 and Yes to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 3.
If you answered Yes to Question 1 and No to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 4.
BEFORE ANSWERING WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE ANSWER YOU ARE REPLYING TO. YOU MUST ANSWER THE THREE QUESTIONS (1,2 AND 3) OR (1,2 AND 4).
Thank you:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) Yes, because I turned out fine.
2) Yes, because I turned out fine.
Reply 2
Depends on how old they are!
Reply 3
Original post by bramz19
1) Yes, because I turned out fine.
2) Yes, because I turned out fine.

Would you mind to tell me, regarding the two questions, wich movies/tales/games you watched as a child?
Reply 4
1) Yes.
2) Depends on their age and how mature they are.

4) Because I think homosexuality is perfectly normal and acceptable so there's no reason to shield children away from it. I don't think violence is acceptable in most cases, so I'd be more wary of exposing them to it. Although to be honest I'd be inclined to not let my kids play violent games until they're older mostly to protect the image of the games industry rather than to protect my kids.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Question 1- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies, tales,videogames,etc with a homosexual characters? Yes or not and why?
Question 2- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies,tales,videogames,etc with a medium content of violence (Black Op or San Andreas for videogames, violence descripted war tales, movies including shootings. Yes or not and why?
If you answered No to Question 1 and Yes to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 3.
If you answered Yes to Question 1 and No to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 4.
BEFORE ANSWERING WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE ANSWER YOU ARE REPLYING TO. YOU MUST ANSWER THE THREE QUESTIONS (1,2 AND 3) OR (1,2 AND 4).

1. Yes. Why not? Homosexuality isn't something that is taboo or unusual.
2. Yes. Violence is a fact of life; there is no point in trying to hide it away.
3. N/A.
4. N/A.
Reply 6
1. Yes.
2. It depends on the type of violence and age of child. In some cases, the answer would be no.

The reason why my answers are different is because you have asked about completely different issues.

Violence is bad and illegal. I want to protect my children from witnessing violence at a young age so that they do not see it as an acceptable way to be. As they get older I would be willing to let them witness pretend violence as a talking point, and let them play violent computer games once they are old enough to know that they cannot re-enact it in real life.

I do not have the same concerns about homosexuality. It is neither bad nor illegal. I do not want my children to fear gay people or being gay themselves.
Reply 7
YES! ( But not too much)
Question 1- no - I don't want my children to know anything to do with sex, be it hetero OR homo, right now. They're 5, 3, and 1. There should be no references to anything even remotely sexual in the things they view.

Question 2- Again, no. It's inappropriate for young children to see violence.

I answered no to both, so I cannot answer questions 3 or 4
Reply 9
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Question 1- no - I don't want my children to know anything to do with sex, be it hetero OR homo, right now. They're 5, 3, and 1. There should be no references to anything even remotely sexual in the things they view.

Does that mean you're not going to let them watch anything with any relationships in at all? Like something featuring a married couple? If that's ok, would you let them watch something that features a gay couple? Obviously not watching them do or talk about anything sexual, just the same sort of behaviour you'd see from straight couples in a family friendly film, like holding hands or a peck on the lips.
Reply 10
1. Yes I would because I feel that 'protecting' them from homosexual content would not change their sexuality.

2. Again yes I would, I find it highly offensive that people will assume that people who play games/read books/ watch movies that have violence in it causes that child to become violent. I have done all of the above and continue to do so and I am not violent nor do I go out and re-enact any of what I have come across in the above types of entertainment. I did all of this when I was much younger too.

Why did this feel like an exam?
1) Absolutely no - homosexuality is prohibited in Islam and I wouldnt want my children to be encouraged by any shows promoting it
2) Depends on their age - violence can also give a negative impression but since its a game, it wouldnt be too serious
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes and yes. I've been playing Grand Theft Auto since I was 9 and i'm a very nice person.
Original post by Psyk
Does that mean you're not going to let them watch anything with any relationships in at all? Like something featuring a married couple? If that's ok, would you let them watch something that features a gay couple? Obviously not watching them do or talk about anything sexual, just the same sort of behaviour you'd see from straight couples in a family friendly film, like holding hands or a peck on the lips.

Do you know of any films that a 5, 3 or 1 year old would enjoy watching which have a homosexual couple in them? Because I don't. Childrens films generally don't feature homosexuals.
1) Yes
2) Depends on how old they are.

1) Why not?
2) My 3-year old wouldn't get to play COD. Older, they can decide for themselves on games and films (if they can get the cinema tickets I won't stop them), for TV I'd make it clear I didn't want them watching too scary stuff, if I knew it would give them nightmares.
Reply 15
Would you mind to tell me, regarding the two questions, wich movies/tales/games you watched as a child?

I remember watching Hannibal with my brother and dad when it came out on video, I was probably 9 or 10 at the time. Played games like Doom and Quake when I was little (i.e. killing various monsters with carious guns). I've also been reading books with occasional graphic imagery for god knows how long. It's not really a big deal, if anything it's probably beneficial in moderation.
Reply 16
Original post by Psyk
1) Yes.
2) Depends on their age and how mature they are.

4) Because I think homosexuality is perfectly normal and acceptable so there's no reason to shield children away from it. I don't think violence is acceptable in most cases, so I'd be more wary of exposing them to it. Although to be honest I'd be inclined to not let my kids play violent games until they're older mostly to protect the image of the games industry rather than to protect my kids.

Interesting response. :smile: One question, are you psychocustard?
Reply 17
Original post by Miss.
YES! ( But not too much)

You have to read the rules of this thread. :wink:
Reply 18

1) Yes..I don't see a problem with it.
2) I guess it depends on the child but I turned out fine. When I was about 8 or something, I used to play Doom on the pc. In Doom you have to complete levels by shooting monsters and collecting things like keys to get to the exit. Sure it was sometimes scary but it was meant to be and I knew it wasn't real :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Question 2- Again, no. It's inappropriate for young children to see violence.

I answered no to both, so I cannot answer questions 3 or 4

I never said anything about sex. I said homosexual characters. For example, all characters of Disney movies are heterosexual. There is no need of sex to realise that. Let me get this easier for you, instead of a princess, would it be okay for you if two princes fell in love with each other?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending