The Student Room Group

Would you let...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes to both.
Reply 21
Original post by Linweth
1. Yes I would because I feel that 'protecting' them from homosexual content would not change their sexuality.

2. Again yes I would, I find it highly offensive that people will assume that people who play games/read books/ watch movies that have violence in it causes that child to become violent. I have done all of the above and continue to do so and I am not violent nor do I go out and re-enact any of what I have come across in the above types of entertainment. I did all of this when I was much younger too.

Why did this feel like an exam?

Let me get this clear,are you infering that if you could avoid them being homosexual you would do it?
As you said violent movies don't become people violent,does this mean that they are okay? If so, what's the point in rate movies in your opinion?:smile:
Original post by SoulfulBoy
I never said anything about sex. I said homosexual characters. For example, all characters of Disney movies are heterosexual. There is no need of sex to realise that. Let me get this easier for you, instead of a princess, would it be okay for you if two princes fell in love with each other?

not at the age they are, no. It would cause a lot of questions to arise, which would inevitably lead to questions about sex, because they already know that in order to (naturally) have a baby there needs to be a mummy and a daddy.

I'm not ready to go further into the discussion of making babies with them, so I don't want any further complications in their minds right now, they're too young.

If they started seeing homosexual couples in films, the question would be bound to arise "but what if they wanted to have a baby" and I don't wish to discuss adoption for a start with them right now. It's a bit of a scary thing to tell children "oh well sometimes people don't want their kids, so they give them away, and they go and live with two other people". I mean really, that's a bit much for kids that young to process.

When they're older, perhaps yes, but at the age they are, no I'd rather they just stuck to "a couple is a lady and a man, and maybe one day they can have kids when the lady has a baby in her tummy" (because obviously they've seen me pregnant so they know the 'baby in mummy's tummy' part). It's a lot easier.
Reply 23
Original post by digistar_100
1) Absolutely no - homosexuality is prohibited in Islam and I wouldnt want my children to be encouraged by any shows promoting it
2) Depends on their age - violence can also give a negative impression but since its a game, it wouldnt be too serious

Let me get this clear: you censor sexuality but allow violence (even in a game it's still violence amongst human beings. I thought religions were about love each other instead of allowing violence as a passtime (and thus, as acceptable).
Reply 24
Question 1- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies, tales,videogames,etc with a homosexual characters? Yes or not and why?
Question 2- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies,tales,videogames,etc with a medium content of violence (Black Op or San Andreas for videogames, violence descripted war tales, movies including shootings. Yes or not and why?
If you answered No to Question 1 and Yes to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 3.
If you answered Yes to Question 1 and No to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 4.
BEFORE ANSWERING WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE ANSWER YOU ARE REPLYING TO. YOU MUST ANSWER THE THREE QUESTIONS (1,2 AND 3) OR (1,2 AND 4).
Thank you:smile:

A big NO for the first question. I'm strongly against homosexuality and would never bring anything that into my home video game or not. As for the violence, I wouldn't let anyone below 16 play any games involving violence.
Reply 25
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Do you know of any films that a 5, 3 or 1 year old would enjoy watching which have a homosexual couple in them? Because I don't. Childrens films generally don't feature homosexuals.

So, you are basing your opinion in the one of film-makers? The reason of not being any homosexual character in movies is due to their conservative mentality and their wish of keeping the family values wich are disappearing like "whole families" instead of monoparental families. Your argument to support your opinion is the opinion held by conservative film-makers. Just wow.:smile:
Reply 26
Original post by bramz19
I remember watching Hannibal with my brother and dad when it came out on video, I was probably 9 or 10 at the time. Played games like Doom and Quake when I was little (i.e. killing various monsters with carious guns). I've also been reading books with occasional graphic imagery for god knows how long. It's not really a big deal, if anything it's probably beneficial in moderation.

I meant what movies/tales with homosexual characters have you read/watched. I already know that violence is something common and allowed.:smile:
So, you are basing your opinion in the one of film-makers? The reason of not being any homosexual character in movies is due to their conservative mentality and their wish of keeping the family values wich are disappearing like "whole families" instead of monoparental families. Your argument to support your opinion is the opinion held by conservative film-makers. Just wow.:smile:

umm no, this has nothing to do with film makers, did you not read my last post?
I don't really get your numbering system.

1) Yes because there is nothing wrong with homosexuality, and this is a value I would like to pass on to my child (if I had one for some reason).

2) It would depend on how mature the child was and whether I thought they could handle it. I think parents should think carefully about the kind of violence their kids see, but I'm not unilaterally against it. They have to see it sometime in life.
Reply 29
not at the age they are, no. It would cause a lot of questions to arise, which would inevitably lead to questions about sex, because they already know that in order to (naturally) have a baby there needs to be a mummy and a daddy.

I'm not ready to go further into the discussion of making babies with them, so I don't want any further complications in their minds right now, they're too young.

If they started seeing homosexual couples in films, the question would be bound to arise "but what if they wanted to have a baby" and I don't wish to discuss adoption for a start with them right now. It's a bit of a scary thing to tell children "oh well sometimes people don't want their kids, so they give them away, and they go and live with two other people". I mean really, that's a bit much for kids that young to process.

When they're older, perhaps yes, but at the age they are, no I'd rather they just stuck to "a couple is a lady and a man, and maybe one day they can have kids when the lady has a baby in her tummy" (because obviously they've seen me pregnant so they know the 'baby in mummy's tummy' part). It's a lot easier.

In all families arises the matter of having babies, and they don't know that it is neccesary a mum and dad for a baby, they learn it because you tell them. What if the child, or any of his friends, has no dad? Your explanation is by all means short for heterosexuals too. You don't have to tell them the whole story, you can tell just a bit. You fail to see that orphan children can also be adopted. They don't have to having seen you pregnant if they are the only child (pretty common nowadays). Anyway, children use/used to be told that a bird brings babies. You also would have to deal with questions like "How did the baby get in your tummy?" "Where was he/she before being there?" "Why did you put it there?" And heterosexual families with biological children also adopt children and their biological ones aren't scaried or something like that. At the end it's all about your ability to handle the matter. Anyway, you seem to hold some hidden hate towards homosexual couples.:smile:
Reply 30
umm no, this has nothing to do with film makers, did you not read my last post?

You said that children (naturally) would better enjoy a movie with hetero characters than one with homo characters.

Children don't know about "hetero" or "homo" they learn that the first is the "normal" and the second the "one to avoid" by social conditioning (where you play a heavy role), just like they don't know about "boys clothes" and "girls clothes" you teach them what is "right" and what is "wrong". Just like colours dark colours for boys and clearer for girls (PinkMobilePhone? Even without seeing your gender I knew you were female. You seem to think that people are born with this ideas of this is right and this is wrong in their heads.
you're making assumptions about me that don't exist I'm afraid. It's easier for my kids to understand a couple as a male and a female right now. They're young and I'm not going to complicate things for them whilst they are this age.

If you want to suggest that I hold some hidden homophobia, go right ahead. One of my closest friends who I have known since I was 3 years old is a lesbian, but clearly you think you know me better than I know myself.

I've answered your questions, please stop making assumptions about me now. Thanks.
Yes
Depends on how old they are and how violent. Probably wouldn't want them playing video games at all frankly, but I'm sure I'd eventually let them so they didn't get teased for having an old fashioned mother who thinks that they're a waste of time.
Reply 33
Would I let my child watch movies with homosexual characters? Well, I grew up watching Disney films, and I'm still straight.
Reply 34
Original post by EvieMo
1. Yes.
2. It depends on the type of violence and age of child. In some cases, the answer would be no.

The reason why my answers are different is because you have asked about completely different issues.

Violence is bad and illegal. I want to protect my children from witnessing violence at a young age so that they do not see it as an acceptable way to be. As they get older I would be willing to let them witness pretend violence as a talking point, and let them play violent computer games once they are old enough to know that they cannot re-enact it in real life.

I do not have the same concerns about homosexuality. It is neither bad nor illegal. I do not want my children to fear gay people or being gay themselves.

:ditto:
Reply 35
Well if these games/films so on had openly homosexual characters then the topic of adult relatioships/sex must have already been broached and that would all depend on how old the child was anyway, as to wether id let them watch it or not.

I think that when you're young the idea of relationships is hard enough to get your head around as it is, and having to explain homosexuality brings in a whole new level to the generic 'when a mummy and a daddy love each other very much' thing.
I don't see anything wrong with homoselxuality but I would wait longer to introduce it to any child I may have than I would with the generic hetro relationship. I remember the idea being introduced to me when I was about 6, and some kids were talking about an episode of Jerry Springer they watched. The following conversation with my mum was... well, i feel sorry for her that she had to explain that to me at the tender age of 6 :tongue:
Reply 36
1.) Yes
2.) Yes (within reason, obviously there would have to be limits to be the severity of violence, dependent on age)
1. Yes, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuality and the sooner my kids realise that everyone is different and that's okay, the better, I want them to be tolerant right from the beginning and not be all confused once they're older why they saw two men/women kiss.
2. Yes, within reason, because I don't think watching films/playing games with violence will encourage them to be violent people or re-enact what they see, but my only concern would be nightmares if I thought they were too young to handle it, not the fact I think it affects how you act. I base this on the fact me and my brother played Grand Theft Auto etc. from a very young age and ended up fine however once played a zombie game and **** ourselves and ended up having nightmares for a bit.
1- yes, because unlike the daily mail i understand that watching/being near/ knowing/ mentioning/ gay people won't turn a child into some kind of mad sex pervert, nor will it change their sexuality in anyway.

2- depends on the age of the kid, really. over 10 then sure, but noy younger than that.

4- well, homosexuality isn't a choice. you can't be turned gay. it's impossible. and there's nothing wrong with it. however violence is a choice in most cases, so to be on the safe side it's probably best not to give kiddies any ideas. and there is something wrong with it.
Reply 39
Question 1- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies, tales,videogames,etc with a homosexual characters? Yes or not and why?
Question 2- Would you let your child watch/read/play movies,tales,videogames,etc with a medium content of violence (Black Op or San Andreas for videogames, violence descripted war tales, movies including shootings. Yes or not and why?
If you answered No to Question 1 and Yes to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 3.
If you answered Yes to Question 1 and No to Question 2, explain your answer in Question 4.
BEFORE ANSWERING WRITE THE NUMBER OF THE ANSWER YOU ARE REPLYING TO. YOU MUST ANSWER THE THREE QUESTIONS (1,2 AND 3) OR (1,2 AND 4).
Thank you:smile:

1. Yes. Because I feel it will help them accept that everyone is different and there is nothing wrong with being homosexual. It's not something that should be kept taboo.
2. Yes. I started on violent games when I was 5. Never really did me any harm. Still a gamer to this day, and loving it. :smile: As long as it's not OTT violence lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending