The Student Room Group

Why don't (most) women like sport?

Scroll to see replies

I ****ing love sport, I play a lot of it, and I'm in heaven every time the Olympics come round because it means I can watch so many sports you can't normally see. I don't follow any particular team in any sport (apart from internationals) but I love watching the football and rugby internationals (and I would love to watch the cricket live too only I don't have Sky... :frown:) I've stayed up the past 2 nights in a row to follow the 2nd Test match of the Ashes, and fully intend to do the same tonight. I loved PE at school (football, rounders, volleyball, athletics, basketball...), and sports at uni and now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 61
I like sports :biggrin:

I guess many women find it boring as do a fair amount of men. :dontknow:
Reply 62
Original post by Philosoraptor
Hang on, watching or playing?!

both
Our tits flap about too much.
For those of you who say sport is pointless: Hello? Life itself is pointless. You may as well find something to enjoy in it for the short time whe're here.
Reply 65
It sucks when you're on your period.
We don't like to get sweaty (guys can get away with it).
And since we don't do much sport, we get unfitter and then hate sport more because it's hard.

Those are the reasons I think. For me personally, I'm lazy, have no motivation, have never gotten into a sport and it's difficult to get to the gym if my mum doesn't want to go (can't drive yet).

But I know more girls who do sport and love it than don't :smile:
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
I broke a nail playing basketball once.
I was bedridden for weeks.

lol :biggrin:
For those ladies who are saying sports are pointless.. I'd like to know what recreational activities they partake in which aren't pointless.
Well personally, I'm genuinely bad at all sports; my co-ordination is terrible.

Also, it could have something to do with PE in school. I found it horrific.
There were 3 types of girls: the kind who never turned up, or couldn't be bothered, or were "on their period" every week somehow; the ultra competitive type who played to WIN and if you made the slightest error in a team game they would ostracise you and refuse to include you on their team anymore, or speak to you at all; and the type (like me) who kind of liked sport a bit but had it ruined for them by ****ing PE.
Original post by a_t
both

In my opinion: (i.e. is up for debate)
Playing sports :gthumb:

Watching sports is :yawn::yawn::yawn:

Bar world cup with England in it or something

So I don't blame any girls who don't like watching.
Reply 70
You could argue that it's a cultural thing - guys are almost expected to either play or be interested in sports because it's a stereotypically manly thing, whereas girls aren't really encouraged to (and if it is, it's stuff like netball :rolleyes:)
thats a bit like asking...why dont men like/like to wear makeup?
I don't like watching sports cos it gets boring and i want to play in it.
But i play Ice Hockey, Tennis, Rock Climbing and Swimming.
Thing is, men are more active and more stronger than the ladies.
Also, guys have different body types. Their bodies are built bigger than the ladies.
ladies are viewed as the feminine ones and the caretaker of everything in the house/family.
Reply 73
Original post by Gandalf_is_a_girl
It's hard when you start out especially if you aren't aggressive or determined but it gets progressively easier I think. You stop flinching as much and find out the hard way that patience pays off. If you think a blow is going to hurt, it will kill. If you take it as it is then it's just one of many patdowns. Be prepared to get flipped like a rag-doll by your instructor in the first week though. They like to make examples of you if you're not on point.

On the whole I like it. Hurts a bit sometimes but I kinda like pain. :colone:

:five:

Fine by me, sounds awesome.
Quite expensive to do in Edinburgh i think...it's £20-30 per month but thats 4 classes...sounds worth it though.
Original post by a_t
Why? I always figured its because sport is full of aggression, that sheer competitiveness to strive to be the best or win a few extra yards and pure physical endeavour which just isn't part of many a woman's make up. They're more into nurturing and caring

I realize there are women athletes and fans but they are in such a minority, e.g. at my gym there was one woman there today and about 15 guys, at my boxing club they have 3 girls on their cards, rest are guys, every time I go to old trafford women probably compromise of about 1% of the people sat around me. In America for every one woman who watches sport there are 3 men etc etc

Why is this? Is what I think right?

I wanna hear from some girls (and guys, don't worry your opinion counts too)

Also does this have any implications? e.g. why they're under represented in business etc

Because they are lazy.

Original post by missygeorgia
We're too weak for it. Our ankles might collapse.

Only if you are fat.

Original post by dothestrand
Not all men like sport.
Everyone's different.

That is not a reason, but a failed excuse.

Original post by Bubbles0ox
Does dance count as a sport?

If it is done properly, then yes it definitely does. Can you find a fat dancer or a lazy dancer? Didn't think so :tongue:.

Original post by Luceria
I don't like sport because I'm nerdy. I've never been good at it and I find it boring. That's why. I can be quite aggressive, but I just don't like sports. I know loads of girls who love sport, I'm the odd one out. It has nothing to do with gender stereotypes such as 'caring' and 'nurturing' ... I love competing when it comes to academics , but I just don't like sports.

I find no entertainment in watching people run after a ball. It's more fun playing it though.

No, you don't like it because you are bad at it. Get it right.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75
Because they're pussies (literally).
Original post by AshleyT
Fine by me, sounds awesome.
Quite expensive to do in Edinburgh i think...it's £20-30 per month but thats 4 classes...sounds worth it though.

Where I live it's bloody £50 a month but that's only for official classes for the clueless and midlevels. There is a hall with boxing rings and sparring sets which is free if you're a known regular. Infiltrated that like a pro within two months courtesy of my superior tea-making skillz and dimples.

Let me know how you find it!
Used to play Badminton <3

.. i just prefer dancing :heart:

I think football is quite a masculine sport tbh
... and i dont/wouldnt spend time watching because i dont find it interesting.

And rugby :/ after watching a programme about a guy who got hurt from playing, i dont want anything to do with it.
Reply 78
I just don't think its true that the MAJORITY of women don't like sport. I'd say 70% of my year play voluntary sport.

I'm sorry I got angry.. I just don't like it when men call themselves strong and competitive and they "strive for that extra inch" and then call women "nuturing".

It annoys me very very much.
Reply 79
this room has turned into jokes about girls and sports

lool :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending