The Student Room Group

How to sabotage an ethernet cable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mick-LFC
I say you just go up and give him a good kicking and tell him to shut his mouth! It would be so much easier plus next time he's playing it, he'll swear less because he'll get flashbacks of what happened him.

Trust me, I'm fighting back the urge to, but my granddad's asleep in the next room, and the man could probably still put me on my arse. :|
Go and tell him to shut the **** up?
Original post by Addzter
I'm currently sat downstairs trying to read a marvellous article about Steve Martin the Saturday Review, but my enjoyment of it is being ruined by my brother who's sat upstairs swearing profusely into his Xbox headset playing Black Ops. This annoys me greatly, and, as he uses an ethernet cable to get onto Xbox Live, I was wondering how I could sabotage this without him knowing so that I can read in peace. Does anyone know how I'd be able to do this, and make it look like a normal fault? :holmes:

Bare rep for anyone who gives me a good answer. Merci beaucoup in advance, sirs.

But won't he get even more pissed off and shouty if his internet disconnects?
Reply 23
Why don't you ask him to be quiet? Or just put some music on, speakers or headphones will do the trick. An ethernet cable not working is a bad idea even if you are weird enough to go through with it, because it's the first thing you would assume broken if a wired connection stops working and shows literally no access, and he'll buy a new one for 50p off the internet. Poke holes with the pin through his eyeballs would stop him playing. Although maybe that wouldn't stop the swearing...

(P.S before you gullible members get angry, I'm kidding :smile:)
Reply 24
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Black Ops >>> marvellous article about Steve Martin on the Saturday Review.

Your poor brother :frown:

Hey, I like shooting 12-year-old American kids in the head and swearing at them via the internet as much as the next man, just not at quarter to fucking one in the morning. :angry:
Reply 25
Original post by tface
Why don't you ask him to be quiet? Or just put some music on, speakers or headphones will do the trick. An ethernet cable not working is a bad idea even if you are weird enough to go through with it, because it's the first thing you would assume broken if a wired connection stops working and shows literally no access, and he'll buy a new one for 50p off the internet. Poke holes with the pin through his eyeballs would stop him playing. Although maybe that wouldn't stop the swearing...

(P.S before you gullible members get angry, I'm kidding :smile:)

And I'll break that one, too, if he keeps on annoying me. Or I'll get up early and steal it when the postie arrives. :colone:
Reply 26
Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser, enter your router settings, look up the connected IP's, determine which one is your brother's xbox then block that IP, alternatively block the ports TCP 80 UDP 88 TCP/UDP 53 TCP/UDP 3074. If you don't know how to do this then just pull the damn thing out.
Reply 27
just turn the router off...
Reply 28
Original post by Addzter
I do, but I was under the impression that you can only stop wireless connections, not wired ones.

Assuming your router has QoS functionality, it should be a matter of simply restricting bandwidth to the corresponding physical port. This has the added advantage of being reversible.
Reply 29
Original post by Profesh
Assuming your router has QoS functionality, it should be a matter of simply restricting bandwidth to the corresponding physical port. This has the added advantage of being reversible.

Is there any easy way to go about this?
Reply 30
Original post by AidanLunn
But won't he get even more pissed off and shouty if his internet disconnects?

At first, then he'll probably shut the **** up and go to sleep.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
pull it out for about 10 seconds then put it back in before he realises what's up and comes down.
Reply 32
Original post by Broderss
pull it out for about 10 seconds then put it back in before he realises what's up and comes down.

I've tried that but, as hilarious as it is, it's not permanent.
Haven't you done any of these things yet? :rolleyes:

Also, finding it very heart-warming that TSR stays together to ruin the game a kid they've never met is playing. :love:
Reply 34
Original post by Addzter
I've tried that but, as hilarious as it is, it's not permanent.

run into his room naked with a hard on and shove your penis down his throat
Original post by Addzter

Original post by Addzter
And I'll break that one, too, if he keeps on annoying me. Or I'll get up early and steal it when the postie arrives. :colone:

Put superglue on the pins. It will be near invisible, the cable will still go in the hole but it wont work.

On second thoughts, suppose hell notice if he has no connecting for ages, and if you put it back in without it setting itll be stuck in. But as a fix for tomorrow to fuck him in future, its a good sly one
Original post by Addzter
I do, but I was under the impression that you can only stop wireless connections, not wired ones.

How would I go about doing this? :holmes:

Think this might depend on what router you have but for Belkin routers the settings page is accessed through 192.168.2.1 in your browser.

You can then check all the devices that are connected, each with an unique IP address, then put that IP address onto the "IP Filter" list which restricts network access.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending