The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jb9191
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069867

If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW power output, with L plates (and/or D plates in Wales), on public roads, but you MUST first satisfactorily complete a CBT course if you have not already done so.

And my point was merely that you do that on a provisional licence, hence the L-plates.

My main point was that a moped (that is, less than 50cc, less than 30ish mph) is a FULL category given to you when you pass your car test. Except that since 2001 people passing car tests have needed to do CBT to validate it, but don't need to repeat it every 2 years.

For goodness sake, it even says that on the link you yourself provided!

You're mistaken if you believe that you are riding a 125 on your car licence. You are not, you are riding it by virtue of holding a provisional category A licence. That's why you need L-plates. That's why you need CBT every 2 years. Until you pass a bike test that remains the case.
Reply 21
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
And my point was merely that you do that on a provisional licence, hence the L-plates.

My main point was that a moped (that is, less than 50cc, less than 30ish mph) is a FULL category given to you when you pass your car test. Except that since 2001 people passing car tests have needed to do CBT to validate it, but don't need to repeat it every 2 years.

For goodness sake, it even says that on the link you yourself provided!

You're mistaken if you believe that you are riding a 125 on your car licence. You are not, you are riding it by virtue of holding a provisional category A licence. That's why you need L-plates. That's why you need CBT every 2 years. Until you pass a bike test that remains the case.

No.

I am riding my motorbike with a full driving license and a CBT. I display L plates on it and have had the power restricted on it.

However I did not need to do any other test than my CBT.

Its all legal and have had it checked a number of times by police officers. I think they know more than you.

I also haven't got category A on my license and never had a problem.
Reply 22
Thank you all guys! Really helpful!

Okay so I'm going to get CBT probably during Xmas, and will be getting a 125cc!

I've looked on eBay and there are numbers of mopeds that costs roughly 600 to 800 GBP! But I'm specificity looking for good brands! I never driven a bike before so obviously no experience buying a moped!

So please give some advice on choosing bike!
My budget is flexible, even more than 1K, but prefer to find something cheap as I'm a beginner! Used is preferred, but in good condition!

Thanks,
Original post by jb9191
No.

I am riding my motorbike with a full car driving license and a CBT. I display L plates on it and have had the power restricted on it.

Where have I disputed that?

However I did not need to do any other test than my CBT.

Of course you haven't, because you're a learner as regards motorbikes. CBT isn't really a test, it's basic minimum training to allow you to ride as a learner, with the ultimate aim that you wiill take a test.

Its all legal and have had it checked a number of times by police officers. I think they know more than you.

I also haven't got category A on my license and never had a problem.

Category A is a PROVISIONAL category on your counterpart (paper) licence. You wouldn't have been allowed to do CBT if it wasn't, and the rozzers would have been laughing if they'd pulled you over.

I think you have some trouble understanding some basic concepts. Let me make some suggestions.

1) Look up what categories of licence come with passing a Car driving test.

2) Specifically look up what category p is.

3) Look up what a "moped" is from a legal POV - it has a very specific meaning and does not include 125s, or anything larger than 50cc for that matter.

I know you won't bother, so I'll try and make it simple for you:

Moped, category p, entitlement comes with a full car licence. Although if you passed after February 2001 you need to do CBT to validate it, but the CBT does not need to be repeated if you only wish to ride mopeds. Naturally, as a full category, L-plates are not required.

A "moped" has less than 50cc and cannot do more than 30 mph.

To ride anything larger than a moped, up to 125cc and a certain power, you need to do CBT every 2 years and use L-plates until you pass your motorbike tests.

Really, really simple.
Reply 24
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Where have I disputed that?

Of course you haven't, because you're a learner as regards motorbikes. CBT isn't really a test, it's basic minimum training to allow you to ride as a learner, with the ultimate aim that you wiill take a test.

Category A is a PROVISIONAL category on your counterpart (paper) licence. You wouldn't have been allowed to do CBT if it wasn't, and the rozzers would have been laughing if they'd pulled you over.

I think you have some trouble understanding some basic concepts. Let me make some suggestions.

1) Look up what categories of licence come with passing a Car driving test.

2) Specifically look up what category p is.

3) Look up what a "moped" is from a legal POV - it has a very specific meaning and does not include 125s, or anything larger than 50cc for that matter.

I know you won't bother, so I'll try and make it simple for you:

Moped, category p, entitlement comes with a full car licence. Although if you passed after February 2001 you need to do CBT to validate it, but the CBT does not need to be repeated if you only wish to ride mopeds. Naturally, as a full category, L-plates are not required.

A "moped" has less than 50cc and cannot do more than 30 mph.

To ride anything larger than a moped, up to 125cc and a certain power, you need to do CBT every 2 years and use L-plates until you pass your motorbike tests.

Really, really simple.

I agree with you now.
Reply 25
Thanks guys!

So which bike shall I go for then? 125cc
Original post by farhzshad
Thanks guys!

So which bike shall I go for then? 125cc

CG125,

Can't go wrong with one of them it will last forever. Great little workhorse...
Reply 27
Original post by farhzshad
Thank you all guys! Really helpful!

Okay so I'm going to get CBT probably during Xmas, and will be getting a 125cc!

I've looked on eBay and there are numbers of mopeds that costs roughly 600 to 800 GBP! But I'm specificity looking for good brands! I never driven a bike before so obviously no experience buying a moped!

So please give some advice on choosing bike!
My budget is flexible, even more than 1K, but prefer to find something cheap as I'm a beginner! Used is preferred, but in good condition!

Thanks,

I hope you've got a bit more cash to spare than that.
It's going to cost at least £400 to kit yourself out if you do it propperly and you really don't want to skimp on cheap kit.
Yes, "legally" all you need is a lid and you're good to go, but if you come off and on a moped, you probably will, skin strips to the bone in about 0.3 secconds.

Decent lid, textile top + bottoms, gloves, boots and a decent back protector should be top of the christmas list.
If you're going to spend any money at all, spend it on your lid and your back - you can't replace these if they get damaged.
Reply 28
Hello!
I have a TRACTOR AND SELF-PROPELLED MAchine driving licence (A). (B). Categories, can I ride a motorbike with a 50cc or 125cc, without additional licence?
I need an additional driver's license, if yes, want to know what and where I develop them?
I`m 22 years
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Constantin
Hello!
I have a TRACTOR AND SELF-PROPELLED MAchine driving licence (A). (B). Categories, can I ride a motorbike with a 50cc or 125cc, without additional licence?
I need an additional driver's license, if yes, want to know what and where I develop them?
I`m 22 years

asuming you have a uk licence, you will need to do a CBT.
more info is on the OP of the motorbike soc thread
Reply 30
Original post by Boristhethird
asuming you have a uk licence, you will need to do a CBT.
more info is on the OP of the motorbike soc thread

I've got a driver's license from my country, Latvia , driver license work in ES/

thx
Reply 31
I've got a driver's license from my country, Latvia
Reply 32
For normal 50cc moped you have no need of any specail motorcycle license but if you will go above than 50cc like 125cc scooter or above then you need a motorcycle license.
can you help me.i have a provisional driving licence from 1988 which has cat A on it.can i ride a 50cc moped with a passager,no L plate and no CBT.can the police take my bike saying i shouldnt have a passager.thanks
can you drive a yz125 with a provisional driving licence
can you drive a yz125 with a provisional driving licence

Latest

Trending

Trending