The Student Room Group

iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Panda Vinnie
They're pretty similar spec wise. Samsung has the better screen though. iPhone looks better (imo), more slick and minimalistic (if you like that sort of thing).

I think the iPhone has better build quality and a more solid feel, Galaxy S feels good in the hand but it has the plastic back.

Then it just comes down to OS preference, Android or iOS...try both out and see which one you like to use most. Also have to consider the respective app markets and sync methods (if you're happy to use iTunes).

Mind you if you're unhappy about the long contract (which is becoming standard for smartphones now) then consider the resale values. iPhone generally have the better resale value.

All in all I'd say they're pretty matched it's all down to personal preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ7Li5w2I-k
Better build quality? jking?
Iphone 4's glass supposed to be something like 20 times stronger than normal glass. Apple may look good, but that has nothing to do with build QUALITY.
Ill say it again apple's products popularity is nothing to do with quality, its all about pricing strategies.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Two completely different classes of phones.

The iPhone 4 is superior in both quality of hardware and (in my opinion) operating system. Android is great, and some people may prefer it - but iOS is far more refined, optimised and a lot more functional.

I have an iPhone 3GS, my brother has a Galaxy. The Galaxy feels and looks a lot cheaper, and its multi-touch capabilities are pretty limited. The advantage of the Galaxy is it's probably a lot cheaper for the handset (might even be free), and the antenna may be better than the iPhone 4.
Reply 22
Iphone- then you can get the UCAS track app....
Apple over prices i have a 27 inch mac it cost like 2 grand
and 27 inch touch screen pc is like less than half the price

So therefore more expensive doesn't always mean better...
Original post by blueray
Galaxy S is much better
it is lighter to feel
its thinner
its more reliable
and it looks amazing / all iphones virtually look the same apart from this one has no curves

Thinner?

Wrong
http://galaxys.samsungmobile.com/specification/spec.html?ver=high

More reliable?

What a ridiculous claim.

Honestly is this what being anti-Apple has come to?
Original post by StuAndMma
Thinner?

Wrong

More reliable?

What a ridiculous claim.

Honestly is this what being anti-Apple has come to?

lol hold them in both your hands and see seriously the difference

but you cant deny that the iphone is a rip of compared to the galaxy s

!OR IT CANT BE HACKED WITH A SIMPLE PIN CODE! :tongue:
Reply 26
Stuff.tv has been reviewing technology for years. They obviously know more about phones than any of you. http://stuff.tv/Top10/Smartphones/ You'll notice the iphone 4 is at the top. Why? Simply because it is the best phone money can buy. If you want a galaxy s, which according to people who know more than you about technology, is an inferior phone to the iPhone 4, its your prerogative to have the inferior technology. Me? I went for the best because I feel like I deserve the best so the iPhone 4 was for me. It is expensive though, but absolutely worth the £140 up front and £35 a month contract. The galaxy s is almost certainly cheaper so that it has a market it can sell to.
Reply 27
Original post by blueray

Do you mean the galaxy s stole its design directly from the 3gs? if so then fair point.
Original post by axhdn
Do you mean the galaxy s stole its design directly from the 3gs? if so then fair point.

Can you see properly?
the S does not look like a brick

Reply 29
Original post by blueray
Galaxy S is much better
it is lighter to feel
its thinner
its more reliable
and it looks amazing / all iphones virtually look the same apart from this one has no curves

Would love to hear where you pulled reliable from - nothing beats apple in terms of reliability and customer service - there are no 'genius bars' for phones in samsung stores
Original post by Seble

Original post by Seble
Would love to hear where you pulled reliable from - nothing beats apple in terms of reliability and customer service - there are no 'genius bars' for phones in samsung stores

That's because their phones just work and the people that go to these 'genuis bars' are retards.

Apple customer: I can't get email to work
Genius: What's your email provider
Apple customer: Email
Genius: That'll be £150 incl VAT.
Original post by blueray

Accidentally put same link twice last time.

Dimension

64.2 X 122.4 X 9.9 mm

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Size and weight

Height:
4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
Width:
2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
Depth:
0.37 inch (9.3 mm)

Can't really argue with facts I'm afraid.

Honestly, your incessant defence of the Galaxy is worrying. They're both good phones. Just because you probably bought a Galaxy and are worrying whether it was the right choice doesn't mean the iPhone is bad.
They are both quite expensive!
Reply 33
Original post by yoyo462001
That's because their phones just work and the people that go to these 'genuis bars' are retards.

Apple customer: I can't get email to work
Genius: What's your email provider
Apple customer: Email
Genius: That'll be £150 incl VAT.

going to have to disagree with you there, genius bars are free to book an appointment and free to solve hardware and software problems, your only charged if your device (mac or ipod or phone) is broken and its your fault ( in my case they didn't charge me to replace the keyboard even though it was my fault), if its in warranty they fix it.
Original post by Moonkin
I am upgrading my Sony Ericsson C902 (Amazing Camera) to a new phone.

I think touch screen is the way to go and I can get £25/month (500mins, bla bla bla) an iPhone 4 or a Galaxy S.

Which one should I get?

The downside is even though I've been with them for 3 years they are trying to nab me into a 24 month contract. :frown:

LoL Gotta agree the C902 was a bad arse phone, I had it until it decided to stop charging properly :frown:.

I have the Iphone 4, and it's pretty decent. Although I am not with your ''bog standard'' network provider = Tesco, yep Tesco is who I am with; 12m, 750 mins, unlimited text, 1 GB of internet - but its £35 pr month. I plan after the 12m is over to go onto PAYG, as there are plenty of good deals nowadays that more or less give similar deals to that of contract.
HTC HD2

I have samsung galaxy S. Only gripes I have are the fact that it doesn't possess a flash for the camera... taking pictures is quite a pain in the ass too because you have to tap the screen to take a picture rather than having like a side button. The fascia makes it feel quite cheap too.
Reply 36
Original post by blueray
Can you see properly?
the S does not look like a brick

Im not sure i completely get your point. i can see how the silver rim has been taken directly from the 3gs and put on the s. i can see how the home buttons and generally the whole look of the galaxy s has been copied directly from apple. so if one looks like a brick the other does. though your comparison is a matter of opinion and mine is a fact. anyway i think its cute samsung felt obliged to copy apples design. imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all, and also a sign of perceived inferiority (definitely deserved in this case). Since you gave an opinion ill give one too. Both designs look VERY dated in comparison to the beautiful iphone 4. Look how crap the galaxy s looks next to it!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by StuAndMma

Can't really argue with facts I'm afraid.

Honestly, your incessant defence of the Galaxy is worrying.

i agree, looks like someone has buyers remorse!
The Samsung Galaxy S features a 4-inch, 480x800 pixel super-AMOLED color screen.
It's massive and sharp and the best smartphone screen out there.
Android also offers full multitasking unlike Apple

Also No iphone 4 fan has commented on the pin hack ... have they?...No thought not...
there is not a pin hack for the galaxy s... so thefore the galaxy s is better
Reply 39
Original post by blueray
The Samsung Galaxy S features a 4-inch, 480x800 pixel super-AMOLED color screen.
It's massive and sharp and the best smartphone screen out there.
Android also offers full multitasking unlike Apple

Also No iphone 4 fan has commented on the pin hack ... have they?...No thought not...
there is not a pin hack for the galaxy s... so thefore the galaxy s is better

your wrong about the pin hack they put an update on couple of weeks ago so you can't access peoples contacts through the pin hack.

The galaxy doesn't even have a camera flash!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending