The Student Room Group

How do Imperial use the BMAT?

I have rung admissions, and they say they look for atleast 50% in each section. Does this mean that no-one who has ever got below 50% in any of the sections has got an interview? And that out of 2 people, one who has amazing academics (AS grades and GCSEs) and the other who doesn't perform so well academically but aces the bmat, the 2nd one gets the interview?

Do they actually consider the rest of your application with BMAT, or do they use it after they use the BMAT? I am absolutely shattered with my results and dismayed by the fact that 0.1 more in one of my sections could have got me an interview...
and instead of letting it go, I am torturing myself on a daily basis, trying to prefigure whether I am going to get an interview or not
Reply 1
If your personal statement is good then i am sure they may overlook 0.1, and if your acedemics are also good. But for Imperial they seem to weigh a lot of their choices on the BMAT, so a high BMAT will get you far, that is you have not applied with like a personal statement on how much you love economics. Anyway but for AS levels they do not really compare them much, i asked about this, they have GCSEs to compare and if you have completed your A levels. They look a lot at predictions, so if you have good GCSE/PS may be they might look past that 0.1 if your other sections are good to :p: Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by geekdiddy
I have rung admissions, and they say they look for atleast 50% in each section. Does this mean that no-one who has ever got below 50% in any of the sections has got an interview? And that out of 2 people, one who has amazing academics (AS grades and GCSEs) and the other who doesn't perform so well academically but aces the bmat, the 2nd one gets the interview?

Do they actually consider the rest of your application with BMAT, or do they use it after they use the BMAT? I am absolutely shattered with my results and dismayed by the fact that 0.1 more in one of my sections could have got me an interview...
and instead of letting it go, I am torturing myself on a daily basis, trying to prefigure whether I am going to get an interview or not

Im assuming they use both 4.5 in S1 and S2 of the BMAT (not sure about S3 as scoring has changed) and predictions of AAAb at A-level as cut off. Therefore an applicant would need both amazing academics and a decent BMAT to get an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending