The Student Room Group

Snow

Scroll to see replies

How do I make a snowman? :frown:
Original post by ChrisBan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

A lot of Europe has been struggling with it. Geneva airport closed for 36 hours this week because of snow.

At the end of the day it comes down to money. The main issue with UK weather patterns is that we can go reasonably long spells with no severe winter weather. Next year or the following year we'll probably have very little snow in comparison to the last couple of years. Not a consistent enough weather pattern to justify vast expenditure.

In fact, winter 2011/12 is expected to be worser than 2010/11 due to a solar luminosity minimum.

The North Atlantic drift has weakened throughout November. This means that Northern Europe no longer has the warm moist air transported by the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean.

There's evidence to prove both these claims. Google solar maximum/minimum and the shutdown of the Gulf Stream.
Original post by Student#254
In fact, winter 2011/12 is expected to be worser than 2010/11 due to a solar luminosity minimum.

The North Atlantic drift has weakened throughout November. This means that Northern Europe no longer has the warm moist air transported by the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean.

There's evidence to prove both these claims. Google solar maximum/minimum and the shutdown of the Gulf Stream.

Just had a geography lesson today? Shutdown of the gulf stream is one of those doomsday scenarios they feature on Horizon/in movies i.e. Day After Tomorrow. Whilst it is entirely possible global warming could kick start the process, its not one of those processes that happens overnight, i.e. Day after tomorrow. AFAIK its not expected to occur atleast within the next century.

As for solar activity... great. That runs in long cycles too. Like I said, next winter could be just as bad as this winter could. However, it could also be nowhere on the scale in comparison.
Reply 583
It's pretty cold tonight and icy, -2 here in East London.
Now that winter’s here I find it difficult to get out of bed.:frown:
Original post by samanthaaaa
Just had a brief snowfall which lasted about two minutes. Still very minimal compared to further up North, my friend's had an entire week off University in Sheffield!

when people have a week of school they feel over joyed but when you get older and have a week of uni and you have to pay for it you feel over cheated :mad:
Blue sky :woo: I've been off uni the whole week because of the snow, fed up with it and wish it would go away!
Original post by hannahhi
Blue sky :woo: I've been off uni the whole week because of the snow, fed up with it and wish it would go away!

yep I understand what you mean
I was sitting out in the snow last night for about 2 and a half hours. Get back to my mates house, sleep, wake up, and all the snow's gone ¬_¬

If only it had melted last night, I wouldn't have gotten snow in my chocolate then.
Reply 589
Wooooooh snow is melting. No more slipping and bruised bums. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::cool:
This snow is nothing, try walking to college in scandinavia ( 0.5 - 1 meter snow is normal there) not cosidering extreme sub zero temperatures. In my area it could get up to -34 celsius in winter. Fun isn't it xD
Reply 591

We made a snowman of our landlord :ahee:

And then we gave it boobs.
Reply 592
Original post by kaosu_souzousha

Original post by kaosu_souzousha
This snow is nothing, try walking to college in scandinavia ( 0.5 - 1 meter snow is normal there) not cosidering extreme sub zero temperatures. In my area it could get up to -34 celsius in winter. Fun isn't it xD

Your use to it tho! We aren't! (or most of us)
I need advice on how to explain the fact my door no longer closes from the inside due to the fact the door handle is broken off due to some not entirely explicable events involving a late night snowball fight...:ninja:

Heh, my landlord is on holiday and I'm at home for the weekend...so I guess I'll worry about it later...
Does anyone know whether it's going to be snowing for New Years?
It will snow on MONDAY!!! Yeah!
Reply 596
Original post by blueray

Original post by blueray
It will snow on MONDAY!!! Yeah!

Source?
Reply 597
OMG because this topic is stickied on the forums page it says "Stickied snow" and it has a cool face how awesome is that!!!
Don't eat yellow snow kids...
Original post by sc0307
Source?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/8

i meant wed

but I still think it will snow tomorrow! Source my head...:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending