The Student Room Group

Do GCSE retakes affect UCAS application?

1.When entering GCSE grades into UCAS do you put in your original grade as well as the improved grade after retaking or just the final grade?

2. I have a 'B' in Mathematics and a 'B' in Chemistry they are minimums for medicine so is it worth retaking these two GCSEs or will Unis look down on GCSE retakes?

3. If my school won't enter me for GCSE retakes where can I enter myself for cheap/for free in London?

PS: I did Chem and Maths under edexcel should i change the exam board or stick with it if i decide to retake those GCSEs both were high B's so i should be able to get A*/A grades this time

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by cashmoneyorg
1.When entering GCSE grades into UCAS do you put in your original grade as well as the improved grade after retaking or just the final grade?

2. I have a 'B' in Mathematics and a 'B' in Chemistry they are minimums for medicine so is it worth retaking these two GCSEs or will Unis look down on GCSE retakes?

3. If my school won't enter me for GCSE retakes where can I enter myself for cheap/for free in London?

PS: I did Chem and Maths under edexcel should i change the exam board or stick with it if i decide to retake those GCSEs both were high B's so i should be able to get A*/A grades this time

Thanks

hey... im put down GCSE English as pending in my UCAS application... already got a offer not askin for a C in GCSE Maths but askin for Funtional Skills at level 3 in maths and english quiet stupid tbh!
Reply 2
I don't want to knock your confidence, but most universities will want As/A*s at GCSE for medicine. Where had you thought of applying?
Reply 3
Original post by Wookie42
I don't want to knock your confidence, but most universities will want As/A*s at GCSE for medicine. Where had you thought of applying?

No thats the highest, obvi, but some dnt fuss about it as much, if your a-levels are good enough
Reply 4
Original post by oh-sugarrr
No thats the highest, obvi, but some dnt fuss about it as much, if your a-levels are good enough

As I said, it depends on where he wants to apply to, however medicine is incredibly competitive at most universities.
Reply 5
As I said, it depends on where he wants to apply to, however medicine is incredibly competitive at most universities.

Oh, soz didnt really read the ending, but yeah your right :smile:
Reply 6
If you've got the original gcses certificated (which you would have unless you did a modular course) they you do have to put both the original and retake grades on your ucas.. and they can choose to cancel your application if you dont and they find out.

As far as actually taking the retakes, the better unis will look down on retakes compared to originals, but if the grades are significatly better (so B/C to A*) then its probably worth it in my opinion.

Boards - edexcel is usually considered a harder board, but as the syllabus tends to vary slightly, I would think its better to stick with what you have learnt. Otherwise, you'll find yourself having to learn extra bits and if you're planning to do AS exams at the same time as GCSE retakes, you definately want to focus on the AS, as this is by far more important to unis.

Hope this helps x
Reply 7

thats why i want to retake ! but kings on their website say they want minimum C in English and Maths for emdp and minimum B for 5 yr medical but Bristol want 5 A*/A grades including Maths
Reply 8
Original post by saajan_92
If you've got the original gcses certificated (which you would have unless you did a modular course) they you do have to put both the original and retake grades on your ucas.. and they can choose to cancel your application if you dont and they find out.

As far as actually taking the retakes, the better unis will look down on retakes compared to originals, but if the grades are significatly better (so B/C to A*) then its probably worth it in my opinion.

Boards - edexcel is usually considered a harder board, but as the syllabus tends to vary slightly, I would think its better to stick with what you have learnt. Otherwise, you'll find yourself having to learn extra bits and if you're planning to do AS exams at the same time as GCSE retakes, you definately want to focus on the AS, as this is by far more important to unis.

Hope this helps x

thanks best answer you think doing a couple of past papers the weekend before the exam would be enough considering i got a 'C' in C1 (**** i know)

also you say the better unis will look down on retakes , will they disregard my retake and look at my original instead? would it be better not to retake at all
Reply 9
Original post by cashmoneyorg
thanks best answer you think doing a couple of past papers the weekend before the exam would be enough considering i got a 'C' in C1 (**** i know)

also you say the better unis will look down on retakes , will they disregard my retake and look at my original instead? would it be better not to retake at all

Well a retake cant harm, as long as it doesnt affect your y12 studies - the worst that can happen is they wont look at your original. I would think they might look slightly down on a retake, so if you got an A* second time, they might consider it an A, (now Im guessing so dont bank on this)

Do you have specific unis in mind? You might want to ring them and ask their what their policy is. Even if you havent decided on unis yet, calling a few might give u a better idea of their opinion.

x
Reply 10
Original post by saajan_92
Well a retake cant harm, as long as it doesnt affect your y12 studies - the worst that can happen is they wont look at your original. I would think they might look slightly down on a retake, so if you got an A* second time, they might consider it an A, (now Im guessing so dont bank on this)

Do you have specific unis in mind? You might want to ring them and ask their what their policy is. Even if you havent decided on unis yet, calling a few might give u a better idea of their opinion.

x

thanks i will do this tomorrow morning i was thinking Kings,Warwick ,Bristol,UEA Brunel
Reply 11

"most universities" is an understatement. Every medical school is highly competitive, just some more than others.
Reply 12
are there any centres in London where I can retake GCSE Maths for free?
Reply 13

do you think it would be better if i did an IGCSE? so its a separate qualification altogether?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending