The Student Room Group

Question to girls - How much do looks in guys matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anabolicminds
what build do u like ?

Muscles, not too muscley though and taller than me. Preferably at least 6 foot but anything taller than me is fine. I'm 5 5

like these :wink:
OTHER THAN THE ONE THAT SAYS, "GROSS"
Reply 61
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 62
I don't want a perfect guy. It would just be ridiculous to say that looks don't matter, ofcourse they do. I want a guy taller than me, who isn't too skinny, with nice hair and a friendly face. Also wonky teeth are a big no no for me. And he must dress reasonably fashionably. Other than that, looks dont mattter. This does leave a rather wide variety of boys available. Unfortunately, none of the boys i like look at me because i am fat and have a wonky nose. How can I expect a guy to look beyond this when i cant myself? Well, I can't really. I have gone out with an ugly guy before, but it didnt work cos i cant shag a guy i find ugly.
Original post by xfactorfan
lets put it this way:

whenever a male celebrity who girls deem attractive goes out on the red carpet/goes on x factor/goes for an interview or whatever, you hear hundreds of girls screaming.

the justin bieber interview with graham norton on saturday was the epitome of it. thousands of girls with banners and posters, screaming and getting all excited over a 16 year old boy.

now if someone like Cheryl Cole or another female celebrity was there, you wouldn't hear guys cheering or going crazy over her. if anything, its the girls who will go crazy over them, because they want to be and look like them.

Really - is that the basis for your argument?

First of all I think you'll find very few girls over the age of 16 will be screaming for the likes of Justin Beiber.
Secondly, just because teenage girls go a bit crazy when they see a celebrity, that hardly means that they refuse to date anybody who isn't famous. Are you telling me that all the girls you know who have boyfriends are only with rich, famous supermodels? You really can't know a lot of girls then.
Reply 64
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Right, because they were all penniless before they got married. Somehow I don't think Jennifer Lopez was too worried about money when she was looking for a husband.
Nah but even rich girls would much rather save their money and spend someone elses.
Reply 65
to be honest, 10%
Original post by Bakerzoid
I know the truth, so does everyone else, you aren't fooling anyone anymore lying about how women are less shallow than men, when 75% of guys below the age of 20 can't get a date with a girl.

Whoa there Bessie. Could you please point out at what point you deemed me to be claiming that women are less shallow than men?! I wasn't aware of that. Pretty sure the point that I was trying to make is that it is as ridiculous to say "all women like this and this and this in a man", as it is to say "all men like this and this and this in a woman". Gender doesn't over-ride the human condition; there are shallow men out there, there are shallow women out there, there are non-shallow women out there and there are non-shallow men out there. To claim that 'shallowness' correlates with gender is pretty absurd. :P

Original post by Bakerzoid
You've got to imagine what other women think like then. Listen, just read all of the height threads on TSR, atleast 90% of women won't date a man under 5'10'' under any circumstances. This isn't shallow, even though it eliminates 50% of men in the country because they can't help how they feel.

I would like to show you a thread where a 5'10" guy said he wouldn't date/marry a woman under 5'4" because he didn't want his kids to be short. Guess what he got? A torrent of abuse, women calling him shallow, stupid etc. saying ridiculous things like height isn't genetic and that he can't discriminate in this way because women can't help their height and that the world was coming to an end (because ONE guy said he wouldn't date short girls). Even secure guys started calling women hypocrites.

Well thats absolutely ridiculous; if any female who had a go at the lad in the second example for being 'shallow' happened to be in the supposed 90% of the women who won't date a man under 5'10", need a slap :smile:

Where did you get that 90% figure from though, just wondering?
Reply 67
xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh and re: the whole 'hot girls with ugly guys' thing going on in this thread:

Lembit Opik and Merrily McGivern. WTF?!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1333801/Lembit-Opik-hits-beach-21-year-old-girlfriend-Merily-McGivern.html
Not alot. I need to be attracted to him.. but usually it's the personality that makes the person attractive to me. If that makes sense. I thought my boyfriend was cute when I first saw him and he's grown on me alot. :smile:
Original post by Hooj
Nah but even rich girls would much rather save their money and spend someone elses.

Sauce?
Original post by Luceria
I've never seen that. I always see constant whining about women, generalizations and gender stereotypes all over the place. I've seen very few thread about men, but again. Haven't been here for that long.

Physical attractiveness matters, but it's not everything. A very average guy can be a hundred times more attractive because of his personality.

Been there, done that. "You're such a great guy". Yeah right. That's why I go for the direct approach. Just by telling her how I feel and what my true intentions are. Better results this way.

You're right, they don't make the threads but they make the posts. Any thread containing negative traits about women - 50% of the posts will be about females saying that guys do it too/are worse/bastards/suck etc..
Original post by CharlieBee_90
Really - is that the basis for your argument?

First of all I think you'll find very few girls over the age of 16 will be screaming for the likes of Justin Beiber.
Secondly, just because teenage girls go a bit crazy when they see a celebrity, that hardly means that they refuse to date anybody who isn't famous. Are you telling me that all the girls you know who have boyfriends are only with rich, famous supermodels? You really can't know a lot of girls then.

thats not the basis of my argument, its only part of my argument. i can go into more detail if you like.
Reply 73
Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty
ORLY? How is what I posted any different to the sweeping generalisation (that I quoted) about women all going for status, height, etc?

Because you're a woman and you are not allowed to have your own opinions.

Original post by xfactorfan
thats not the basis of my argument, its only part of my argument. i can go into more detail if you like.

I would like. :smile:
Original post by Alexr115
Because you're a woman and you are not allowed to have your own opinions.

Darn it. Back to the kitchen for me then....:P
Reply 76
Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty
Darn it. Back to the kitchen for me then....:P

Clean out the gutters as well, make me a brew and bring my slippers!!!
They do, but very loosely.
I can literally find anyone attractive.
I have a definite type but at the same time, if i meet someone in the right situation and they fit my various other requirements - ie, they don't have unnervingly small fingers - then i'm just as likely to want to jump on them.
Reply 78
Lemme put it this way: I'd rather be able to laugh with a guy, no matter what he looks like, than stare over at an opinionless oil painting at dinner.
Personality/ intelligence > looks.
Sure, I'll have meaningless crushes on Jude Law types, but I wouldn't wanna marry him!
Women are attracted to a number. The number of your back account.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending