The Student Room Group

What kind of school asks you to be attractive to get in

My friend was offered a place at Charterhouse and when she read the good school guide for Chaterhouse it said it helps if your daughter is attractive/clever and from a well heeled family.
It feels to me as if the school wants to get girls in for sixth form just to fulfill the boys sexual desires , but i honestly dont think that is right at all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's actually more likely down to the image than anything else. Attractive people imply success, thus the school wants to boost its image and reputation. If they actually say that, somehow I'm not convinced, especially given your amateur interpretation.
Original post by Hylean
It's actually more likely down to the image than anything else. Attractive people imply success, thus the school wants to boost its image and reputation. If they actually say that, somehow I'm not convinced, especially given your amateur interpretation.

Must be why everyone thinks I'm so successful.
They care more about your height now
Reply 4
A school not worth going to.
Original post by Hylean

Lots of computer-nerds are unattractive and those are the most successful people e.g. Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates etc. Success doesn't have anything to do with beng attractive. (Ignore if you were being sarcastic or something) :tongue:
Modelling school.
Reply 7
Original post by darkxangel
Lots of computer-nerds are unattractive and those are the most successful people e.g. Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates etc. Success doesn't have anything to do with beng attractive. (Ignore if you were being sarcastic or something) :tongue:

Where did I say anything about attractive people being successful? I said they imply success.
Fashion School?
:rofl: Thank **** my parents couldn't afford to have sent me there; sounds like the Chinese Communist Party. There will always be such attitudes amongst society's [self-defined] elite, however.

EDIT: But, to be fair, the Good School Guide may well be much more pretentious and elitist than the school itself: that's my experience of such publications. So you shouldn't necessarily take its word as gospel.

Original post by Hylean
Where did I say anything about attractive people being successful? I said they imply success.
Alas, he's right. See [what psychologists term] the halo effect on Wikipedia.
(edited 13 years ago)
Attractive people are more likely to get into anything that involves an interview, school, job, etc, because that's just how the human brain works. At least that place actually admits it lol, or was this what someone else wrote about it? In that case they probably saw that all the students were attractive and made an inference.
Reply 11
My type of school
Original post by Blueflare
Attractive people are more likely to get into anything that involves an interview, school, job, etc, because that's just how the human brain works. At least that place actually admits it lol, or was this what someone else wrote about it? In that case they probably saw that all the students were attractive and made an inference.

Yeah it was a from another book writing about the school

But i just think that it's unfair.
Original post by darkxangel

success is subjective - doesn't necessarily mean rich
Are you sure that's what it meant? Maybe it just meant you had to be smart- not physically attractive.
Attractivity is subjective... perhaps what these "attractive" students are exerting is actually confidence, which in turn makes them look more attractive to the author of the aforementioned book.
Original post by RightSaidJames
Attractivity is subjective... perhaps what these "attractive" students are exerting is actually confidence, which in turn makes them look more attractive to the author of the aforementioned book.

Yeah but if so ,wouldn't the book just have told you to be confident?

Original post by Gemma :)!
Are you sure that's what it meant? Maybe it just meant you had to be smart- not physically attractive.

I'm quite sure it meant physically attractive as it just happens to be all the "un-attractive"people my friend took the test with all didn't get in...
Reply 17
A really sexy school :wink:
To keep the ogresses out
Original post by justrelirandom
Yeah but if so ,wouldn't the book just have told you to be confident?

Depends on what the author is trying to acheive and if he has an axe to grind, I suppose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending