The Student Room Group

Driving help please..Does my instructor want me to fail?

Hi. Ive had around 33 lessons and my test is on jan 6th.

Im on my third instructor and at first I really trusted him and thought that he will help me as much as he can. However, ever since I booked the test he hasn't been taking me to the test area and I feel like he is wasting my time. He just tells me to drive around which I think by now shouldnt be my priority. I still cant do parallel parking and reverse around the corner, yet he wont teach me them. The first time I done both manouvers, I did them perfectly but since then I have done reverse only one more time(and flopped) and parallel a few more times(and sometimes flop).
I aked if we can spend more time on manouvers but he keeps saying we will do it next lesson. He also says, next week we will do a mock test but he doesnt.
I aked if I can spend a whole lesson on manouvers and he said a whole lesson is a very long time but we will do twenty minutes. We dont.
The last few lessons he has been taking me home ten mins early too. I am starting to think he wants me to fail so I can have more lessons. I really want to pass. I have four weeks.. Do you think if I insist on doing at least twenty minutes each lesson (for five lessons), I will e able to master the manouvers?

And dont you think all instructors just want our money?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably just wants MONEH!
Your instructor sounds like a tool. Tell him if he/she doesn't listen to you, then you'll cancel the test and you won't pay for the lesson either.

Be firm with the prick. My instructor was so nice when it came to things like this.
Reply 3
Original post by Hippysnake
Your instructor sounds like a tool. Tell him if he/she doesn't listen to you, then you'll cancel the test and you won't pay for the lesson either.

Be firm with the prick. My instructor was so nice when it came to things like this.

Im too much of a wimp and cant speak up about things like this. Plus, if I say that I will have to change instructor again and I just REALLY badly wnat to pass. I cant stand paying for any more driving. Ive een broke the last 6 months!

Do you think, as I said, that I will have enough time to learn the two manouvers? With 20 mins each lesson? How long did it take you to learn them? He is a nice guy so I dont understand why he wouldnt try his best. It seems like he stopped making an effort on purpose.
Original post by hellohowareyou
Im too much of a wimp and cant speak up about things like this. Plus, if I say that I will have to change instructor again and I just REALLY badly wnat to pass. I cant stand paying for any more driving. Ive een broke the last 6 months!

Do you think, as I said, that I will have enough time to learn the two manouvers? With 20 mins each lesson? How long did it take you to learn them? He is a nice guy so I dont understand why he wouldnt try his best. It seems like he stopped making an effort on purpose.

It should be enough if you have 5-6 lessons before the exam.

BE FIRM. I can't really say anything else. It's down to you. Give an ultimatum.
You're paying him so you call the shots.
Yeah he's deffo after your monies. My teacher was great! He wanted me to pass first time which meant his pass rate percentage goes up which is fine by me because we did manovers and mock tests over and over until I was confident. If you live in Cheshire somewhere then you can have his number too! Only charges £15 as well. Very decent bloke.
Reply 7
You aren't going to pass if you can't do the manoeuvres perfectly first time, under pressure of exam conditions. Either you be firm with him or you'll be looking at putting your test back.

Im on my third instructor and at first I really trusted him and thought that he will help me as much as he can. However, ever since I booked the test he hasn't been taking me to the test area and I feel like he is wasting my time. He just tells me to drive around which I think by now shouldnt be my priority. I still cant do parallel parking and reverse around the corner, yet he wont teach me them. The first time I done both manouvers, I did them perfectly but since then I have done reverse only one more time(and flopped) and parallel a few more times(and sometimes flop).
I aked if we can spend more time on manouvers but he keeps saying we will do it next lesson. He also says, next week we will do a mock test but he doesnt.
I aked if I can spend a whole lesson on manouvers and he said a whole lesson is a very long time but we will do twenty minutes. We dont.
The last few lessons he has been taking me home ten mins early too. I am starting to think he wants me to fail so I can have more lessons. I really want to pass. I have four weeks.. Do you think if I insist on doing at least twenty minutes each lesson (for five lessons), I will e able to master the manouvers?

Hiya, no we don't ALL just want your money although some do. Having got that bit out of the way :smile: I'll try to help as best I can.

There is obviously some issue between you and your instructor. At the very least there is a communication problem between you. You are telling the instructor what you want but he isn't responding as you wish. He should also be telling you what the situation is but that doesn't seem to be happening either. As a matter of interest did you book your test because you decided to or because he suggested it? It certainly sounds as though he is not expecting you to pass but I suspect, from what you have said, that he is more concerned about other aspects of your driving. Either he isn't communicating that to you or you aren't telling us. :colondollar:

In spite of all the views on the importance of manouevres, more people fail because of other mistakes in their driving rather than the manouevres themselves. After all, you only spend about 3 minutes doing a manoeuvre and 35 minutes driving. However, I understand your concerns and, yes, you need to get more practice.

Also, your post seems to suggest that you are simply concentrating on passing your test rather than learning to drive. I understand that your goal is first and foremost to pass your test but for many driving instructors our overwhelming desire is to teach people to be safe on the roads. Certainly for me that is of paramount importance. I am very aware that I am in part responsible for the quality of drivers I unleash on the roads and I try to teach them the best practices and methods. The test is a mere formality at the end to prove that I have taught them well. Having said that none of my pupils have ever taken more than the average number of lessons (DSA figures) to pass their test so I don't rip people off in any way.

It may be that your instructor is picking up what I am and it is conflicting with his philosophy. I'm not saying that he is handling it correctly but that may be the situation.

You need to ask your instructor what he thinks. What does he think you need? At least you are then giving him the opportunity to open up the communication paths which seem to have broken down. If he thinks your test is coming too soon, at least he will be able to say so. Be open. If you can't agree then your only alternative is to go somewhere else with all the problems that that can cause.

I feel as though I have been a little harsh in my response to you. If so, please accept my apologies. I'm only trying to help - albeit from a distance.

Emma
Reply 9
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Hiya, no we don't ALL just want your money although some do. Having got that bit out of the way :smile: I'll try to help as best I can.

There is obviously some issue between you and your instructor. At the very least there is a communication problem between you. You are telling the instructor what you want but he isn't responding as you wish. He should also be telling you what the situation is but that doesn't seem to be happening either. As a matter of interest did you book your test because you decided to or because he suggested it? It certainly sounds as though he is not expecting you to pass but I suspect, from what you have said, that he is more concerned about other aspects of your driving. Either he isn't communicating that to you or you aren't telling us. :colondollar:

In spite of all the views on the importance of manouevres, more people fail because of other mistakes in their driving rather than the manouevres themselves. After all, you only spend about 3 minutes doing a manoeuvre and 35 minutes driving. However, I understand your concerns and, yes, you need to get more practice.

Also, your post seems to suggest that you are simply concentrating on passing your test rather than learning to drive. I understand that your goal is first and foremost to pass your test but for many driving instructors our overwhelming desire is to teach people to be safe on the roads. Certainly for me that is of paramount importance. I am very aware that I am in part responsible for the quality of drivers I unleash on the roads and I try to teach them the best practices and methods. The test is a mere formality at the end to prove that I have taught them well. Having said that none of my pupils have ever taken more than the average number of lessons (DSA figures) to pass their test so I don't rip people off in any way.

It may be that your instructor is picking up what I am and it is conflicting with his philosophy. I'm not saying that he is handling it correctly but that may be the situation.

You need to ask your instructor what he thinks. What does he think you need? At least you are then giving him the opportunity to open up the communication paths which seem to have broken down. If he thinks your test is coming too soon, at least he will be able to say so. Be open. If you can't agree then your only alternative is to go somewhere else with all the problems that that can cause.

I feel as though I have been a little harsh in my response to you. If so, please accept my apologies. I'm only trying to help - albeit from a distance.

Emma

Hi. Thanks for the response. He suggested I book the test. in fact, he told me to try and get one for dec. Also, aboiut the driving thing...I drive around with hi, alot(obviously since Im moaning aboutn not getting manouver time), and the only times he has to remind me of things is mainly because of speed. I only recently started driving fast because he is pissing me off. I honestly tried to think aout what must be wrong with my general driving if thats all he wants me to do, but I cant think of anything really. I check my mirrors all the time, change gears quickly, anticipate hazards etc. tbh, i do just want to pass my test now. I had a different attitude before and i ddidnt care how many lessons i take as long as I am a good, safe driver- but its got to the point where i believe i am a good safed driver. i've changed my test details three times. am i allowed to cancel my test without losing my money?
anywya,hope this answers ur questions. could u tell me tho as an instructor whether u believe 20 mins each lesson(for five lessons) is enough to learn the two manouvers- for the average driver?
thanks again :smile:
Hi. Thanks for the response. He suggested I book the test. in fact, he told me to try and get one for dec. Also, aboiut the driving thing...I drive around with hi, alot(obviously since Im moaning aboutn not getting manouver time), and the only times he has to remind me of things is mainly because of speed. I only recently started driving fast because he is pissing me off. I honestly tried to think aout what must be wrong with my general driving if thats all he wants me to do, but I cant think of anything really. I check my mirrors all the time, change gears quickly, anticipate hazards etc. tbh, i do just want to pass my test now. I had a different attitude before and i ddidnt care how many lessons i take as long as I am a good, safe driver- but its got to the point where i believe i am a good safed driver. i've changed my test details three times. am i allowed to cancel my test without losing my money?
anywya,hope this answers ur questions. could u tell me tho as an instructor whether u believe 20 mins each lesson(for five lessons) is enough to learn the two manouvers- for the average driver?
thanks again :smile:

Hiya, Well you've certainly answered all my questions and clarified the situation beautifully. I can't fathom what your instructor's problem is - it seems most odd. By what you have said you are doing everything that you should be doing. There is nothing wrong with practising your manoeuvres for 20 minutes each lesson - it's something that most instructors would do prior to test, a general drive including one or two manoeuvres. The difficulty is if you have a problem and it needs intensive, repetitive practice. In that case, 20 minutes simply isn't enough - it only allows 2 or at best 3 attempts and once you've tried it once then any future attempts at that location are less beneficial. The only way to make it work is to change locations each time which for the left reverse is difficult because suitable corners are not easy to find. It then eats up time going to a new location. You really need to concentrate on one manoeuvre for a lesson and do it in 3 different locations. That will take 20 minutes split into 3 or 4 chunks and should be enough. Doing it like that should be enough to get you through your test. Don't forget the other manoeuvres because you know that the one you haven't practiced will be the one you have to do on test. :wink:

I hope that helps.

Emma
p.s. Sorry for the quick answer - off out to do lessons. If I haven't explained something properly, please let me know and I will explain further...

A whole lesson manouvers doesnt sound like too much to ask. If he wont do it then he sounds totally unreasonable. At least with a whole lesson on manouvers you will get plenty of practice and know where you still need more practice. And he shouldnt be taking you home early either.
Id cancell your test for now (you can still get yur money back) and tell him this and say that if he doesnt get his ass into gear then you will go with someone else.
Hiya, Well you've certainly answered all my questions and clarified the situation beautifully. I can't fathom what your instructor's problem is - it seems most odd. By what you have said you are doing everything that you should be doing. There is nothing wrong with practising your manoeuvres for 20 minutes each lesson - it's something that most instructors would do prior to test, a general drive including one or two manoeuvres. The difficulty is if you have a problem and it needs intensive, repetitive practice. In that case, 20 minutes simply isn't enough - it only allows 2 or at best 3 attempts and once you've tried it once then any future attempts at that location are less beneficial. The only way to make it work is to change locations each time which for the left reverse is difficult because suitable corners are not easy to find. It then eats up time going to a new location. You really need to concentrate on one manoeuvre for a lesson and do it in 3 different locations. That will take 20 minutes split into 3 or 4 chunks and should be enough. Doing it like that should be enough to get you through your test. Don't forget the other manoeuvres because you know that the one you haven't practiced will be the one you have to do on test. :wink:

I hope that helps.

Emma
p.s. Sorry for the quick answer - off out to do lessons. If I haven't explained something properly, please let me know and I will explain further...

Thanks for the answer again. I had a lesson today and texted him yesterday saying I wat to conecntrate on manouves. We done left reverse around 4/5 times and parallel three times. When he guided me through it, I done them perfectly but when I done them by myself, I couldnt. But I done the parallel park on my own perfectly one time a\nd badly the second time. However, I definitely see an improvement in just one lesson and he said he will do manouvers with me next lesson(still took me home early tho!) Also, I know you havent seen me drive but do you think I should have two lessons a week instead of one? I dont want to waste money and I feel like the last four lessons Ive had have been a waste besides today which has been the only productive lesson I have had in ages. Is 5 more lessons before the test too little for someone who can do the maouvers with guidance and justt needs to learn to do them on their own?
And also, if you dont mind, can I ask weherabouts do you teach?
Thanks for the answer again. I had a lesson today and texted him yesterday saying I wat to conecntrate on manouves. We done left reverse around 4/5 times and parallel three times. When he guided me through it, I done them perfectly but when I done them by myself, I couldnt. But I done the parallel park on my own perfectly one time a\nd badly the second time. However, I definitely see an improvement in just one lesson and he said he will do manouvers with me next lesson(still took me home early tho!) Also, I know you havent seen me drive but do you think I should have two lessons a week instead of one? I dont want to waste money and I feel like the last four lessons Ive had have been a waste besides today which has been the only productive lesson I have had in ages. Is 5 more lessons before the test too little for someone who can do the maouvers with guidance and justt needs to learn to do them on their own?
And also, if you dont mind, can I ask weherabouts do you teach?

Hiya,

At least he is responding to your request so well done for pushing the issue with him. So you can do the manoeuvres when prompted but not independently? If I may be so bold, that shows poor instructional technique, not bad driving by you :wink:

Can I ask? When you do the parallel park, do you have a specific technique with reference points or is it just hope? Likewise, for the left reverse although the reference points may not be so well defined as for the parallel park?

The problem with having more lessons (apart from the cost) is that bad habits may start to creep in to your general driving. If you can keep the focus on manoeuvres, then by all means have more lessons until you can do them properly 9 times out of 10. It should only really take one lesson to achieve a manoeuvre without guidance but that seems to be beyond your instructor. I don't understand why. 4 manoeuvres = 4 lessons so you should be fine. However, you don't want to fail because a manoeuvre goes wrong so more practice gives you a better chance.

If you don't manage to master the manoeuvres so you can do them perfectly every time, don't worry. You will only get one on your test day. I've had people who can do them perfectly who screw them up on test and I've had others who can't parallel park to save their lives, get one on test and pass first time.

Follow your instincts. If it feels wrong, it probably is. Take all your manoeuvres really slowly so that if it starts to go wrong, you can correct it.

Okay, that's it - must run - Harry Potter awaits. Yes, even driving instructors have the occasional evening off!

BTW, I'm based in Rochester in Kent but teach up as far as Sidcup if the situation requires it.

Emma

He also shouldn't be taking you home early!
Hiya,

At least he is responding to your request so well done for pushing the issue with him. So you can do the manoeuvres when prompted but not independently? If I may be so bold, that shows poor instructional technique, not bad driving by you :wink:

Can I ask? When you do the parallel park, do you have a specific technique with reference points or is it just hope? Likewise, for the left reverse although the reference points may not be so well defined as for the parallel park?

The problem with having more lessons (apart from the cost) is that bad habits may start to creep in to your general driving. If you can keep the focus on manoeuvres, then by all means have more lessons until you can do them properly 9 times out of 10. It should only really take one lesson to achieve a manoeuvre without guidance but that seems to be beyond your instructor. I don't understand why. 4 manoeuvres = 4 lessons so you should be fine. However, you don't want to fail because a manoeuvre goes wrong so more practice gives you a better chance.

If you don't manage to master the manoeuvres so you can do them perfectly every time, don't worry. You will only get one on your test day. I've had people who can do them perfectly who screw them up on test and I've had others who can't parallel park to save their lives, get one on test and pass first time.

Follow your instincts. If it feels wrong, it probably is. Take all your manoeuvres really slowly so that if it starts to go wrong, you can correct it.

Okay, that's it - must run - Harry Potter awaits. Yes, even driving instructors have the occasional evening off!

BTW, I'm based in Rochester in Kent but teach up as far as Sidcup if the situation requires it.

Emma

He also shouldn't be taking you home early!

Thanks so much for all your help! umm, i have specific reference points for parallel park. It is when the middle of the left passenger window(he put a sticker there) touches the ack of the car im parking behind; i turn the wheel one to the left, so 360 degrees. then i reverse the care and when the door handle is in line with the back- right light(of the car im parking behind), i turn the wheel two times to the right, so two 360degree turns. and then when the car is nearly straight...and then straighten the car by turning to the left again. lool hope that helps, i know its a poor explanation. Is there any tips you can give me for rrc or pp? and yh, ill take that on board and do them verrry slowly-makes sense!
How was harry potter?
You definitely have enough time to learn the 2 now. When you get in the car insist on doing them that lesson - don't accept "next lesson". You're paying him, so you can do whatever you like! As for him dropping you off early, that is definitely not fair. If he does it again then point it out. It doesn't sound like he wants you to fail, just that he's being incredibly lazy.
Thanks so much for all your help! umm, i have specific reference points for parallel park. It is when the middle of the left passenger window(he put a sticker there) touches the ack of the car im parking behind; i turn the wheel one to the left, so 360 degrees. then i reverse the care and when the door handle is in line with the back- right light(of the car im parking behind), i turn the wheel two times to the right, so two 360degree turns. and then when the car is nearly straight...and then straighten the car by turning to the left again. lool hope that helps, i know its a poor explanation. Is there any tips you can give me for rrc or pp? and yh, ill take that on board and do them verrry slowly-makes sense!
How was harry potter?

Reference points for the parallel park sound perfect - almost as though I had taught you :biggrin: (I call it 1-2-1) The left reverse is more difficult because it a judgement thing and every car and every person is different. If you can see the left hand kerb in the door mirror (without adjusting it for the manoeuvre which you're not allowed to do!) then just keep it in sight all the way. Take the corner slowly so that you can adjust if you need to. Follow your instincts!

Best of luck. Do let me know how you get on.

Emma
Reference points for the parallel park sound perfect - almost as though I had taught you :biggrin: (I call it 1-2-1) The left reverse is more difficult because it a judgement thing and every car and every person is different. If you can see the left hand kerb in the door mirror (without adjusting it for the manoeuvre which you're not allowed to do!) then just keep it in sight all the way. Take the corner slowly so that you can adjust if you need to. Follow your instincts!

Best of luck. Do let me know how you get on.

Emma

yay! at least i got gud refernce points! 121 reaaally helps me remember. i always forget how much to turn but thanks for that!
anyway for rrc,, r we definitely not allowed to adjust the door mirror? i cant see da cur through the window and always have to move the mirror down. i literally cant see the curb. i knw u sed da reference points are hard...but for a tight corner, does this sound okay: full lock wilst observing and going very slowly...den wen the car is nearly straight, straighten it up so if the ack is facing towards the left and i want it to go right...i turn right? i just find it so hard knowing when to turn and wen not to. u knw whats weird? the first time i ever done rrc...i done it properly and i didnt use his reference poitns...i just done it, so basically followed instincts and found it much easier than turn in the road. i dont knw what happened ut i just cant do it anymore next lesson i will definitely try following my instincts agen!
Hi, hellohowareyou. Be careful about taking advice to do the manoeuvres very slowly. Take a look at this video, created by a Driving Examiner. It shows the problems that can be caused by performing abnormally slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alL5K4p5fPc

(If the link doesn't work, copy and paste the URL into your browser address box.)

Check out more of these videos on the test by going to YouTube. Put lacontrabasse in the search box.

All the best.

Victor
Reply 19

my instructor was the same, totally sh* but a nie lady.

the national average if you have no car for practice is 66 hours. i had 4 hours a week since jan with about 3 month break in the middle. i am only now doing my test end of dec. if you have a car, 40 hrs recommended. any more means you are being ripped or very stupid. go with BSM. they are a bit more per hour but give you a timeframe. they said to me, it doesnt matter if you have a car we can pass you with in 4 months froom 0 knowlledge. they also can tell you waht they will do each week and where you should be. tell your instructor you arent happy, and why, then if it doesnt change, leave.

Quick Reply

Latest