The Student Room Group

UCL or LSE for Economics

I have applied for Economics at both LSE and UCL but am unsure about which one enroll into. I have already received an offer from UCL of A*AA.

Even though I do wish to study Economics primarily, I would like to study other courses as minors . Which university would give me more value when I wish to seek emplyment in future? Even though I am not absolutely certain about it, I wish to seek employment in finance if possible. However, I also wish to take into consideration the student life. I have heard from many that LSE, though offering slighlty better education for economics, has a very dull atmosphere that might wear me down. UCL, on the other hand, makes more facilities available to students and enjoys a more lively atmosphere. Is that true?
Original post by zareef92
I have applied for Economics at both LSE and UCL but am unsure about which one enroll into. I have already received an offer from UCL of A*AA.

Even though I do wish to study Economics primarily, I would like to study other courses as minors . Which university would give me more value when I wish to seek emplyment in future? Even though I am not absolutely certain about it, I wish to seek employment in finance if possible. However, I also wish to take into consideration the student life. I have heard from many that LSE, though offering slighlty better education for economics, has a very dull atmosphere that might wear me down. UCL, on the other hand, makes more facilities available to students and enjoys a more lively atmosphere. Is that true?

LSE seems like the better choice, considering you want to do Economics primarily. You do need an exceptionally high level of GCSE's to accompany your A-Level grades, though.
Reply 2
From what I hear, yes it is true!
LSE!
Reply 4
Jumping the gun slightly, seeing as you haven't got an offer from LSE yet, but LSE hands down is what I've heard from the economists I know who applied for Economics at both places. I would have presumed LSE anyway in terms of employment, not sure why though. My brother went to UCL, loves London but hates UCL, again, not sure why, but he takes any opportunity to slag it off.
If you can get in, LSE is better from an employment prospects/ academic point of view
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
LSE seems like the better choice, considering you want to do Economics primarily. You do need an exceptionally high level of GCSE's to accompany your A-Level grades, though.

I had 8As in my O Levels. Thus far, I have an A* in Mathematics and As in AS level Physics, Economics and ACCOunting. I plan on giving Further Mathematics this year.
Eep Accounting A level lol.

Anyway, I would say LSE for employment prospects assuming you will not get bored etc as you have mentioned. Probably UCL in terms of student life though... but really I'm sure if you wanted to have a great student life at LSE you could do it. Maybe see if there's a general LSE/UCL thread somewhere for more information on this. xD
Reply 8

London School of Economics is far superior in terms of job prospects, however socially etc. University College London wins in almost every other aspect.
Reply 9

have you been invited to the ucl open day with your offer?? if so, which date?!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
No....i have only received an offer letter through UCAS
Go for LSE. Not as many fit wimminz as in UCL I'd presume but think about the employment prospects.
Reply 12
Original post by asdfg0987

Go for LSE. Not as many fit wimminz as in UCL I'd presume but think about the employment prospects.

there's plenty at lse!
That's settled then. LSE!~
Reply 14

1. Actually there are quite a few, so given that LSE is smaller we should look at the proportion and in that case I would not be sure that this is true. But I can't compare to UCL, only been there once.

2. Not that that would matter for you if you describe them like that :tongue:
Original post by danny111
1. Actually there are quite a few, so given that LSE is smaller we should look at the proportion and in that case I would not be sure that this is true. But I can't compare to UCL, only been there once.

2. Not that that would matter for you if you describe them like that :tongue:

Haha wasn't really serious when posting that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending