The Student Room Group

Poorer students will now get 2 free years uni. another attack on middle income family

Thousands of university students from poorer backgrounds could have their tuition fees paid for up to two years under new government proposals.

If students arent expected to pay anything back until they are in high earning jobs what difference does their background make? Yet again the rich dont worry - the poorest get free.... and the middle income families struggle and pay the bill.

my parents earn a little more than 'poor' families which doesnt mean their extra income can be used to pay off my student debts! the conservatives are meant to represent middle income families affected by the 'income trap', obviously not.

A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE MISSING THE POINT:

- a student from the WORKING CLASS will have to pay off loads of debt than a student from the POOR CLASS because this policy seems to assume that working class parents can contribute to paying off their son/daughters debt as quickly as a poorer class student by his/her own earnings.

the working class/middle income families are being screwed over by a government who claims to stand against Britains dependency culture and make sure living on benefits is never the best option if there is an opportunity to work.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How exactly will you be 'struggling to pay the bill' when you wont have to pay it back 'until you are in high earning jobs' ?

Hands up if you would live here all of your childhood so that you could get a couple of years free uni tuition?

Being born poor puts children at an educational disadvantage, being born middle class doesnt.
(edited 13 years ago)
1) I doubt the cut off point is £10,000. If it is, then is isnt about low/middle, its about low/very low.
2) Yes, coming from a family with a higher income does put you in a better position to pay off your student debts. You got a headstart. Children from poor families are automatically at a disadvantage to you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6989177.stm
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
The way me and my Mum see it, is that once your 18 you're an adult so therefore you should not have to still be under the influence of your parents when it comes down to means testing. It's not like you have to pay it up front, you pay it when you earn a certain amount (£15,000 for 2011 entry, £21,000 for 2012 entry) and then its not that much. You are having an independent life which you parents income shouldn't make a difference in. My parents aren't going to be giving me money, so I'll get a job when I get to uni and use my little savings to have enough money. Why should your parents income make a difference (unless you are ridiculously rich and your parents will actually pay all of your fees and give you loads of money)

And also, when these people come out of uni they will then go into a well paid job (probably for the majority better paid then mine will be). So I will be paying off my student debt for longer because I come from a middle income family. They would have less to pay back and a better paid job. Where is the fairness in that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by morecambebay
1) I doubt the cut off point is £10,000.
2) Yes, coming from a family with a higher income does put you in a better position to pay off your student debts. You got a headstart. Children from poor families are automatically at a disadvantage to you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6989177.stm

Can I just ask why we would get a headstart? Our parents aren't going to give us money. We will only have what we have earnt and paying it back comes from us when we have a job. Nothing to do with our parents, their income and background.

And that quote is about differences in achievement at primary school and at GCSE's. What has this to do with university and the ability to pay back funds when you have a job? More than likely I will earn less after going to university than some of this which come from a lower income family. So they will then have more money than me because they will be in a better paid job yet still have less to pay back. Where is the fairness in that? I will be paying back for longer than them just because I come from a middle income family.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
The way me and my Mum see it, is that once your 18 you're an adult so therefore you should not have to still be under the influence of your parents when it comes down to means testing. It's not like you have to pay it up front, you pay it when you earn a certain amount (£15,000 for 2011 entry, £21,000 for 2012 entry) and then its not that much. You are having an independent life which you parents income shouldn't make a difference in. My parents aren't going to be giving me money, so I'll get a job when I get to uni and use my little savings to have enough money. Why should your parents income make a difference (unless you are ridiculously rich and your parents will actually pay all of your fees and give you loads of money)

My Parents pay my tuition fees and we are not rich at all - in fact i am eligible for the full maintenance grant - it's not just the rich parents that can afford to pay fees- i am not saying they should, just they could. All about prioritising.
Reply 6
Original post by Summer_Lovin
My Parents pay my tuition fees and we are not rich at all - in fact i am eligible for the full maintenance grant - it's not just the rich parents that can afford to pay fees- i am not saying they should, just they could. All about prioritising.

Yes but there are many other things which are more important than my tuition fees. They have to pay for mortgages and pay off cards and stuff after bringing me up and they still have to pay for everything for my brother. They see it as I'm an adult so then it is my responsibility.
Pathetic.
You are disgusting vermin.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
Can I just ask why we would get a headstart? Our parents aren't going to give us money. We will only have what we have earnt and paying it back comes from us when we have a job. Nothing to do with our parents, their income and background.And that quote is about differences in achievement at primary school and at GCSE's. What has this to do with university and the ability to pay back funds when you have a job? More than likely I will earn less after going to university than some of this which come from a lower income family. So they will then have more money than me because they will be in a better paid job yet still have less to pay back. Where is the fairness in that? I will be paying back for longer than them just because I come from a middle income family.

It has everything to do with your parents, their income and your background. As shown by the article, the gap grows and grows. Because you are not from a poor family your attainment is much higher than it would have been if you were...and the difference increases with education. You are more able to succeed because of your background.

Statistically, (because thats what is used- statistics) you will not be out done by somebody from a poor family.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
Yes but there are many other things which are more important than my tuition fees. They have to pay for mortgages and pay off cards and stuff after bringing me up and they still have to pay for everything for my brother. They see it as I'm an adult so then it is my responsibility.

Mine have those too...
Guess it varies from family to family, just pointing out that you don't have to be well off to afford these things (and not be in debt as a result)
Reply 10
It has everything to do with your parents, their income and your background. As shown by the article, the gap grows and grows. Because you are not from a poor family your attainment is much higher than it would have been if you were...and the difference increases with education. You are more able to succeed because of your background.

Statistically, (because thats what is used- statistics) you will not be out done by somebody from a poor family.

Yes but you are still talking about gaps in education, not money. No where in that article does it link money and university. The ability to pay for your university education once you get a job after the degree has nothing to do with your parents. Maybe your ability at university and education but not the ability to pay it back when you get a job. If the gap is already large before university surely the money would be better off spend stopping this before they get to uni e.g. primary school. Just because they are being paid for two years doesn't mean that they will do better once at uni.
Original post by Tabers
Yes but you are still talking about gaps in education, not money. No where in that article does it link money and university. The ability to pay for your university education once you get a job after the degree has nothing to do with your parents. Maybe your ability at university and education but not the ability to pay it back when you get a job. If the gap is already large before university surely the money would be better off spend stopping this before they get to uni e.g. primary school. Just because they are being paid for two years doesn't mean that they will do better once at uni.

Does the link between money and university really need to be pointed out?

If somebody is disadvantaged educationally, they are going to get a worse degree than they otherwise would have...meaning that yes, their ability to pay it back has got something to do with their parents and their background

The ability to get an education is directly linked to the ability to get a job which is directly linked to the ability to earn money.

Your ability to earn money is much higher than it would have been had you been born poor.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
More than likely I will earn less after going to university than some of this which come from a lower income family. So they will then have more money than me because they will be in a better paid job yet still have less to pay back. Where is the fairness in that?

But I bet those who have more money than you because they are in a better paid job, will end up paying more than you do anyway, because they will be in higher tax bands? Where's the fairness in that? Why should they be punished just for earning more than you do?
Reply 13
The threshold is £25,000 not £10,000 I believe? 30 Years? Is that it? You'll probably retire or die before you pay it all back, and you only pay 9% a year, so what's the big deal?
Reply 14
How the hell is this an attack on "middle income families"? Nothing has changed for you. There is no disadvantage to you here. Unless you consider poor people to be your enemy, of course. Helping someone out is not attacking everyone else.
Reply 15
Does the link between money and university really need to be pointed out?

If somebody is disadvantaged educationally, they are going to get a worse degree than they otherwise would have...meaning that yes, their ability to pay it back has got something to do with their parents and their background

The ability to get an education is directly linked to the ability to get a job which is directly linked to the ability to earn money.

Your ability to earn money is much higher than it would have been had you been born poor.

As I said before, then surely the money would be better off spent before there was this difference in education ability.
Reply 16
Original post by Planto
How the hell is this an attack on "middle income families"? Nothing has changed for you. There is no disadvantage to you here. Unless you consider poor people to be your enemy, of course. Helping someone out is not attacking everyone else.

This is an attack on middle class familes because they will be the worse off out of all of this. What have your parents income got to do with your ability to pay back your loan at the end?
Original post by Tabers
As I said before, then surely the money would be better off spent before there was this difference in education ability.

How? what on? Do you not think that if they knew how to close the gap they would? Do you think it is done with new textbooks/ a few extra staff hanging around? It is a home thing...I suppose they could give poor people big tax breaks and a **** load of benefits to close the gap, but you would complain about that aswell wouldnt you.
Reply 18
Original post by Tabers
This is an attack on middle class familes because they will be the worse off out of all of this.

No, they won't. They will be in exactly the same position as they were before. Life is not a competition. Someone else getting a helping hand does not equate to you being **** on. If you disagree, I would propose that you are extremely selfish, jealous and petty.
Reply 19
How? what on? Do you not think that if they knew how to close the gap they would? Do you think it is done with new textbooks/ a few extra staff hanging around? It is a home thing...I suppose they could give poor people big tax breaks and a **** load of benefits to close the gap, but you would complain about that aswell wouldnt you.

Benefits no as long as they actually attempted to do something. Those that do nothing and are not ill or anything annoy but I understand that poverty is a massive problem with many families in these problems due to no fault of their own.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending