The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Engineering Interviews

I have an Oxford interview in a few days for Engineering, and I thought I'd start a thread where people could post what to expect from the process/ talk generally about the subject. Anyone who's got an interview, you can post your name and interview date, may see you there!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kroosh
Still waiting to hear any news from St John's at Oxford about Engineering. Apparently they have sent out invitations but I haven't received any invitation/rejection/anything (UK national living overseas). I don't think that many people on these forums have heard back from Oxford Engineering - a few have!

Good luck.

And to you! I have no clue what to expect in the interview, whether it'll be abstract questions or ones relevant to my A levels.
Reply 2
Interview at Pembroke and St Edmund's Hall 14th :biggrin:
Does anybody have any idea on how to prepare???
Reply 3
Original post by lolsann
Interview at Pembroke and St Edmund's Hall 14th :biggrin:
Does anybody have any idea on how to prepare???

I've got an interview at Pembroke on the 14th! And I also have no clue how to prepare.
Reply 4
Original post by 04smitht
I've got an interview at Pembroke on the 14th! And I also have no clue how to prepare.

Good to know I'm not the only one :tongue: Wish I knew what kind of questions they will be asking us!
How long are you staying at the College?
Reply 5
Original post by lolsann
Good to know I'm not the only one :tongue: Wish I knew what kind of questions they will be asking us!
How long are you staying at the College?

I'm staying at Magdalen, Pembroke is my randomly selected choice but I wouldn't mind a bit of Pembroke, it's an equally gorgeous college. I say I have an interview there, but I'm not quite sure how it works, they said that my randomly selected one is Pembroke but I don't know when the interview for it takes place. I'm probably going up the night before my interview and staying overnight in college, but I'm still not sure. I'm looking forward to it despite how terrified I am.
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
x

They have rejected you already following interview this year? I thought they give decisions on the 5th of January. :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
I have an interview on Monday at St Catz and Hertford in Oxford
Reply 8
Original post by 04smitht
I'm staying at Magdalen, Pembroke is my randomly selected choice but I wouldn't mind a bit of Pembroke, it's an equally gorgeous college. I say I have an interview there, but I'm not quite sure how it works, they said that my randomly selected one is Pembroke but I don't know when the interview for it takes place. I'm probably going up the night before my interview and staying overnight in college, but I'm still not sure. I'm looking forward to it despite how terrified I am.

Ahh Magdalen seems great :biggrin: I made an open application because I made up my mind about applying to Oxford the 14th of October so I didn't have time to do any research :colondollar: I'm happy with Pembroke, except that it's kinda far from the science area, but that's something I'll worry about IF I get in!
I have already received my interview schedule, so it's kinda weird you haven't :albertein:
I'm really looking forward to it too :biggrin: Even though I sometimes feel like I'm going crazy with stress (a lot of important tests at school right before Christmas) :frown:
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
They have rejected you already following interview this year? I thought they give decisions on the 5th of January. :confused:

Original post by lolsann
x

I applied last year (2010 entry), I had my interview in November and was rejected mid January.
(edited 13 years ago)
I applied last year (2010 entry), I had my interview in November and was rejected mid January.

Ah I see. Sorry to hear about the rejection (I'm sure you've gotten over it now). Did they give you a reason why you were unsuccessful, that is, if you don't mind sharing?
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Ah I see. Sorry to hear about the rejection (I'm sure you've gotten over it now). Did they give you a reason why you were unsuccessful, that is, if you don't mind sharing?

No, they didn't give me a reason but I think it may have been for almost having an argument in my second interviews (I had two in one day) and during the almost argument I almost called my interview a **** or ****er or something like that, I think he got the jist of what I muttered though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
No, they didn't give me a reason but I think it may have been for almost having an argument in my second interviews (I had two in one day) and during the almost argument I almost called my interview a **** or ****er or something like that, I think he got the jist of what I muttered though.

Wow, that's ... something I haven't heard of before. Didn't realize the tutors could be so ... provocative :tongue: Bad luck!
I kinda think of the tutors as sweet old men, but I may have to reconsider that view :rolleyes:
Original post by lolsann
Wow, that's ... something I haven't heard of before. Didn't realize the tutors could be so ... provocative :tongue: Bad luck!
I kinda think of the tutors as sweet old men, but I may have to reconsider that view :rolleyes:

Yeah he was a dick, if I faltered on a question he would instantly give me the next one, when I tried to go back to a previous question having remembered/thought of a different way to approach it he refused.
Reply 14
Yeah he was a dick, if I faltered on a question he would instantly give me the next one, when I tried to go back to a previous question having remembered/thought of a different way to approach it he refused.

What an arse! :bird: People like that shouldn't be allowed to work as tutors, how is anybody supposed to learn anything that way :tongue:
Let's hope Oxford-tutors are nicer! :bigsmile:
Reply 15
I have interviews at St Catz and Wadham on the 13th :smile:
So will our interviews be mostly maths and physics rather than justifying why we want/deserve to be engineers?
I kinda hope so. The talking part is what's scaring me the most! (Saying that, I'll probably change my mind when I'm in there and faced with some monster of a mechanics question.)
Original post by Babs12123
So will our interviews be mostly maths and physics rather than justifying why we want/deserve to be engineers?

Yes; except not even "mostly". Modify that to "apart from a possible friendly warm-up question of no account..."

:sheep:
Reply 17
In college now, it's the night before. ****ting bricks.
Just got back from my interviews at St Catz and Trinity, they didn't go too well so i'm not really expecting an offer.
Reply 19
:frown:
Original post by mathmagician
Just got back from my interviews at St Catz and Trinity, they didn't go too well so i'm not really expecting an offer.

Hey mine didnt go too well either, but my second one was significantly better than the first i think. not really expecting an offer, were the interviews how you expected it to go? I know I didnt expect it to go the way it did. I think we'll find out on wednesday or thursday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending