The Student Room Group

NSPCC Facebook Campaign: Load of Bull.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
it's honestly a bit of fun, I get to be Dexter for a few days lol
Lighten up, it's just some pictures, and on the NSPCC website they admit they didn't start the campgain, but they welcome it. And actually, although I already knew about the NSPCC and their work, after I changed my picture I went online and donated some money, because it was a reminder. Changing pictures is just a bit of fun; loads of people watch children in need and comic relief without donating anything, I don't see how this is different.
When I changed mine the status didn't have anything to do with Child Abuse. It just said something about the aim is to not see a human profile pic on facebook by the 6th and I just did it for fun.

I do agree with the OP though.
One of my friends said she is going to change her picture to the McDonalds logo to stop world hunger :smile:
Original post by Tommyjw
I know there is another thread, but they all people telling you what cartoon they changed it too and how pretty it looks and how they jumped on the bandwagon of all of their friends and dont care one bit just want a cartoon as their picture.

Raise awareness?
Every person I know without fail knows what the NSPCC is.. this is especially true for all my same-aged friends on facebook.
So, not we get off that they dont need to raise awareness, because maybe 95%+ of people on facebook will already know who they are.

I have a regular donation of £2 a month, not a lot, i am a poor stupid ya know :rolleyes:. But what have you guys done, changed a picture? well done. im proud.

Show some real support and donate money, something that could actually help.

It just annoyed me all these people copying and pasting the same status and changing their picture like doing that makes them all high and mighty because they just helped someone.

Rant over =]

Exactly! Plus, people who put a picture up of Homer Simpson strangling Bart would've been subject to slight controversy.
Oddly enough I wrote a rather controversial post about this yesterday: The Uselessness of Facebook Slacktivism.

I still stand by my argument, but a friend of mine says there's a rumour going around that the NSPCC saw a 20% rise in donations yesterday. I will wait until their quarterly report is published to see if it's in any way true, but if it is then that's fabulous.
Screw that, it's Pokémon profile picture month.
Reply 66
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/facebook-cartoon-profile-picture-week

You know I was in tesco this morning and I was just about to beat the **** out of and then rape a 3 year old because he nearly took the last packet of Polo's. However, I remembered the campaign and all those cute cartoon characters and was able to restrain myself. The campaign is amazing!!
Reply 67
There are 175 news articles on google about this when you search NSPCC. Which is a successful enough online campaign.
If nothing else it shows the power of online media.
That is all.
If you hate it so much.. don't do it! Sorted.
(edited 13 years ago)

Original post by KayK
That's a cool avatar.

Why thank you.

But yeah, I would support it if it actually talked about donating to the charity, rather than trying to moralise a fun trip down memory lane.
Oh stop whinging. The only thing more irritating than people being "sheep" are those who deliberately go against it in an attempt to be different and shout about it as if they're proud.

The point is, whoever started this campaign had good intentions and wanted to bring awareness to a cause and they have succeeded. And everyone is talking about it, even the complainers, so that makes it even more of a success. When a breast cancer campaign circulated around facebook (ladies had to make their status their bra colour) it managed to get press attention.

Sure, pictures wont stop child abuse, but poppies wont stop more soldiers being killed. And I'll still wear a poppy.
Original post by Antonia87

Sure, pictures wont stop child abuse, but poppies wont stop more soldiers being killed. And I'll still wear a poppy.

Well, no. But buying a poppy will help fund charities that support soldiers and vets.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Well, no. But buying a poppy will help fund charities that support soldiers and vets.

Sure, but the more publicity a charity receives, the more donations it will get. Its why every November men are encouraged to grow moustaches to bring attention to prostate cancer - its the most common and deadliest cancer in men, but when do you ever hear people talking about it?
Original post by Antonia87
Sure, but the more publicity a charity receives, the more donations it will get. Its why every November men are encouraged to grow moustaches to bring attention to prostate cancer - its the most common and deadliest cancer in men, but when do you ever hear people talking about it?

I think Movember is just as much bs as this fad to be honest.

'Raising awareness' basically translates to 'appear charitable with no real personal investment', justified on the premise that somebody else will donate instead.

I would wager that, if anything, it's going to do harm as people who take part in this without donating feel that they have 'done their part' and end up less likely to donate/volunteer for said charity.
(edited 13 years ago)
NSPCC A warm welcome to all our cartoon friends! We are incredibly grateful for your support to end cruelty to children in the
UK. Although the NSPCC did not originate the childhood cartoon Facebook
campaign, we welcome the attention it has brought to the work we do. If
you would like to find out more about how you can get i...nvolved,
please visit our website.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nspcc
Reply 75
All these Facebook trends and fads really stretch the word "lame" to its limits. I wish people would stop sending me invites to take part - I really don't care, my profile pic is Advice Dog and my God it's staying that way.

Now, get off my lawn :fuhrer:
I have seen this status going around now which is even stupider than the first one

WARNING** the whole changing your profile picture to a cartoon was actually created by a group of pedophiles because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them. It was on the program internet frauds and will be on tv sometime tonight.. please warn and change your pictures back. pass on
(edited 13 years ago)
It's simply the easiest and cheapest PR campaign out there. Barely cost a thing since it spread by word of mouth, yet has cultivated plenty of attention without having to spend money for newspaper inches. No publicity is bad publicity and for £ spent:£ earnt ratio it doesn't get much better. If it doesn't raise a lot of money, then at least it didn't cost a lot of money, but if a small minority donate money it all adds up to a big sum. Sure, many may ignore the links with the charity but the beauty of the internet is that many 100s of thousands are made aware of the charity so even 0.1% giving a donation is good going.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
I know there is another thread, but they all people telling you what cartoon they changed it too and how pretty it looks and how they jumped on the bandwagon of all of their friends and dont care one bit just want a cartoon as their picture.

Raise awareness?
Every person I know without fail knows what the NSPCC is.. this is especially true for all my same-aged friends on facebook.
So, not we get off that they dont need to raise awareness, because maybe 95%+ of people on facebook will already know who they are.

I have a regular donation of £2 a month, not a lot, i am a poor stupid ya know :rolleyes:. But what have you guys done, changed a picture? well done. im proud.

Show some real support and donate money, something that could actually help.

It just annoyed me all these people copying and pasting the same status and changing their picture like doing that makes them all high and mighty because they just helped someone.

Rant over =]

You can't just assume the whole world knows what goes on Britain.

That statement is inaccurate. As a foreigner, I would say that over 50% of my facebook buddies are non British. I have friends scattered all over the world and most of them probably do not know anything about NSPCC as it's a UK charity. This campaign just doesn't raise awareness in the UK but it spans out internationally. A lot of friends from abroad have been asking about these cartoons and statuses.
Didnt do it because I thought it was helping anyone, just did it because I wanted an excuse to change my profile pic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending