The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by john0401
I think you're going to annoy a few people here. Loads of people would be ecstatic to have a Bristol economics offer (it is good & internationally recongised). You've applied, with no intention of going, received an offer and now complaining.

Yes. I know Bristol is a great university. I have done lots of research believe me. In fact if I was a native Brit I would have probably been jumping in joy and throwing a weed party at my place tonight.

But the fact is I am International, have to pay close to 15,000 Pounds each year plus living expenses which are 4 times as high as India. So that is why I want to spend my Dad's money on something really really worthwhile. Dad may probably have to sell a flat to fund my UK under graduation and I do not want it to be spent on anything other than the very best!!
Reply 401
Original post by shubham_ag
Yes. I know Bristol is a great university. I have done lots of research believe me. In fact if I was a native Brit I would have probably been jumping in joy and throwing a weed party at my place tonight.

But the fact is I am International, have to pay close to 15,000 Pounds each year plus living expenses which are 4 times as high as India. So that is why I want to spend my Dad's money on something really really worthwhile. Dad may probably have to sell a flat to fund my UK under graduation and I do not want it to be spent on anything other than the very best!!

Ok, fair point. Warwick is on a par with UCL so that might be worth considering if you get an offer.
Bsc Economics
Essex
Easy offer of just AB

I think that is a decent backup.

Has anyone done the LSE questionnaire yet? I just filled it in but found it really difficult. I was quite reluctant to give out my raw scores on that questionnaire, my school doesn't do cash ins until the end of A2. I was also quite annoyed at the fact that Edinburgh considered me to be an English Domicile when I was born in Scotland and lived there for 12 years. (no exemption from tuition fees :mad:)

Has anyone got offers from Edinburgh yet?
Reply 403
According to paulwhy, the applicant to offer ratio is around 7:1, not quite as scary ey? As SPMS said, alot of people with Bristol offers reject them for Warwick, Oxbridge, LSE etc. It is a common 5th choice for the top applicants, therefore they give out a fair few more offers then the number of places on the course.

Hmm....can you direct me to where paulwhy posted that figure?

Sounds quite suspicious. There are 1121 applicants for 27 places (assume figures for last year, so should be similar for this ucas cycle)

If the applicant to offer ratio is really 7:1, then means they are giving 160 offers assuming applicants remain at around 1121. Thats nearly six times the number of places they actually have :eek: - bear in mind as well that they are liable to be fined if they admit too many students than the government allows them to have.
Reply 404

With your attittude to life its better if you stay home.
Reply 405

This isn't America, you can't just buy your way into university if you're rich.
Reply 406
Original post by W.H.T

Sounds quite suspicious. There are 1121 applicants for 27 places (assume figures for last year, so should be similar for this ucas cycle)

If the applicant to offer ratio is really 7:1, then means they are giving 160 offers assuming applicants remain at around 1121. Thats nearly six times the number of places they actually have :eek: - bear in mind as well that they are liable to be fined if they admit too many students than the government allows them to have.

Did you not read why they have such a ratio?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=658957
Used to be here next to Bristol but they have deleted the document, but even so if you read through this you will understand why they do as they do.
Reply 407
Original post by W.H.T

If you think about it in terms of numbers though. It's quite feesable that there are at least 100 people in the country who have appled to Bristol as their 5th choice, along with Lse, Oxbridge, Warwick etc. These people are almost automatically given offers by Bristol because of perfect grade profiles etc. but then go on to decline once they've recieved an offer from one of the aforementioned. The link you've already been given is the right one, although the relevant data does appear to have dissapeared.
Reply 408
If you think about it in terms of numbers though. It's quite feesable that there are at least 100 people in the country who have appled to Bristol as their 5th choice, along with Lse, Oxbridge, Warwick etc. These people are almost automatically given offers by Bristol because of perfect grade profiles etc. but then go on to decline once they've recieved an offer from one of the aforementioned. The link you've already been given is the right one, although the relevant data does appear to have dissapeared.

don't forget to mention UCL :wink:
Reply 409
Original post by eugeneho
don't forget to mention UCL :wink:

Have you an offer from UCL or gunning on it?
Original post by SPMS
What are your GCSE, AS Level results and predictions?

GCSE: A*A*AAAAAAAA
AS: AABB (Maths, Econ, History F. Maths)
Predicted A2: A*A*A (Maths, Econ, History)

I think my AS grades are going to let my down compared against other candidates, as well as my GCSEs not being straight A*s, but I am literally in love with Bath and will be so disappointed if I don't get in :frown:
Reply 411
Original post by Badrkahandaman
I applied October 11th (iirc) and am also applying to Cambridge, LSE, UCL and Loughborough in that order of preference. I'm fairly surprised Bath replied this early actually - only a few of my friends already have offers and they're from schools not quite as good as Bath.

GCSEs: 11A*s and an A in Eng Lit (not sure Bath pay much attention to that though)

AS: 4 A's, 293/300 in Maths, 199/200 in Geog (listen up kids - want an A? Take AQA geography), 87%ish in Chem and 177/200 in Econ (not quite what I expected)

You applying to any of the same ones I am (instead of Bath, I take it.. :wink:)?

I'm taking AQA geography! and it's pretty much my gcse syllabus just in more detail. oh yes, from now on i won't give a damn when people ask me why on earth i took a geography a level nyehh. :biggrin:
Reply 412
Original post by veronica111
GCSE: A*A*AAAAAAAA
AS: AABB (Maths, Econ, History F. Maths)
Predicted A2: A*A*A (Maths, Econ, History)

I think my AS grades are going to let my down compared against other candidates, as well as my GCSEs not being straight A*s, but I am literally in love with Bath and will be so disappointed if I don't get in :frown:

Your situation isn't as bad as you think, yes you are slightly under average however nothing a strong personal statement couldn't make up for. :smile:
Original post by Jasminge
I'm taking AQA geography! and it's pretty much my gcse syllabus just in more detail. oh yes, from now on i won't give a damn when people ask me why on earth i took a geography a level nyehh. :biggrin:

Indeed. I'm actually finding the A2 spec slightly harder in fairness, so maybe not quite as first thought :rolleyes:
Reply 414
Original post by SPMS
Have you an offer from UCL or gunning on it?

Already firmed my offer I'm a deferred entry applicant from last year.
Reply 415
Original post by Scottishsiv
Bsc Economics
Essex
Easy offer of just AB

I think that is a decent backup.

Has anyone done the LSE questionnaire yet? I just filled it in but found it really difficult. I was quite reluctant to give out my raw scores on that questionnaire, my school doesn't do cash ins until the end of A2. I was also quite annoyed at the fact that Edinburgh considered me to be an English Domicile when I was born in Scotland and lived there for 12 years. (no exemption from tuition fees :mad:)

Has anyone got offers from Edinburgh yet?

Nah I've not heard from Edinburgh yet either. I get the exemption though :wink: :biggrin:
Original post by SPMS
Your situation isn't as bad as you think, yes you are slightly under average however nothing a strong personal statement couldn't make up for. :smile:

fingers crossed!! haven't heard anything yet from Bath or Bristol! But as they say, no news is good news!! (lets hope) :smile:
Reply 417
Original post by veronica111
fingers crossed!! haven't heard anything yet from Bath or Bristol! But as they say, no news is good news!! (lets hope) :smile:

When did you apply?
They may just be waiting for the deadline to pass (15th Jan, I believe).
Reply 418
The University of Nottingham (N84)

Course
Industrial Economics (L1N2)

Offer AAB
Original post by SPMS
When did you apply?
They may just be waiting for the deadline to pass (15th Jan, I believe).

I applied around 20th October? I think... and they may be waiting for the deadline in January, but I've seen a lot of people on here have got offers for the course I'm applying to do at Bath. But anyway, I asked them and they all seem to be predicted straight A*s and achieved straight A*s at GCSEs etc, but we'll see, only time will tell! Where are you applying?