The Student Room Group

Engineering without Chemistry?

Fine evening, eh.

I was hoping you folks, in the engineering forum, could help me out here. I would like to know, which fields of engineering I could potentially study at university level if I am not studying Chemistry. Thing is, while I do not mind Chemistry, I don't think I'd like to study it at standard level, let alone, at higher level for the IB.

So, with these subjects, what could branch of engineering could I possibly get into? Will there be many Chemistry "modules"/classes in say, Civil engineering? What about Biomedical? My little internet research says otherwise but I have heard from others that they do include a fair bit of Chemistry.

Mathematics, Physics and ITGS at Higher Level, along with French A2, English A1 and Business & Management at Standard Level.

or

Mathematics, Physics and English A1 at Higher Level, along with French A2, Biology and Business & Management at Standard Level.

My school does not offer ITGS at SL and I wouldn't want to start two new subjects. I have done Biology before, for my GCSEs and I, without much effort, got a B in it.

With Bio at SL, could I even think of Biomedical Engineering?
(edited 13 years ago)
Anything apart from chemical engineering. I don't have any chemistry background whatsoever and I'm doing mechanical. There is a little bit of chemistry in it but it's not assumed that you already know chemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Anything apart from chemical engineering. I don't have any chemistry background whatsoever and I'm doing mechanical. There is a little bit of chemistry in it but it's not assumed that you already know chemistry.

It feels good to be right. :biggrin:

Wait, are you certain of that?

I know I might seem like I'm worrying too much, way too much but hey, I moved to this new school five weeks into the first semester and now I might have to take up a new subject, which is Bio.

Thank you.
Reply 3
I'll rephrase the question, with Physics and Mathematics at the highest possible level (in the case of the IB, at HL), can I get into any kind of engineering besides Chemical engineering? Would Biology be of invaluable help or can I not do it now and do "easier" subjects which would mean that I would be getting a better overall grade?
I think you've got your definition of "invaluable" a bit wrong.

I'm doing mechanical, and the only thing remotely close to chemistry that we've covered is in materials, and it's straightforward.
I haven't done chemistry since GCSE, and I hated it then.

Do biology if you think it will pull your grades up.
Reply 5
just a warning, standard level wouldn't count for jack if your applying to the UK. So if you like IT instead of bio, then go for it.
I am applying for chemical engineering and I have chemistry,maths and biology at HL. In my research, physics and maths at Higher level should set you to do any kind of engineering, however in some big universities they ask for another science at HL i.e. bio or chemistry.
If you have done Biology at IGCSE, SL Bio is almost the same, or even of lower standard. So if you like memorizing stuff then do HL bio
Reply 6
Yo, where are you studying mechanical? I too need to apply soon but can’t because unis say they need chemistry.
Original post by Ronak859
Yo, where are you studying mechanical? I too need to apply soon but can’t because unis say they need chemistry.

Which universities say they need chemistry?

Latest