The Student Room Group

Boyfriend of 6 months keeps asking if I'll marry him

Basically the title says it all really. We've been going out about 6 months and he's asked me about 5 or 6 times, the first time about 2 weeks after we started going out, if i'll marry him. He's even gone as far as asking if he should get me an engagement ring for my birthday :s-smilie:
Its kind of getting on my nerves, I don't really want to marry him yet, as I tell him every time he asks me! (We're only 18!)

Anyone out there in similar situation?

Its just really annoying, I know he's in love with me and I am with him, but it really is too early to be asking these kind of questions!

Any advice??

Scroll to see replies

And he's definitely not joking?
If you don't want to marry him, then don't marry him.

Have you explained to him WHY you don't want to marry him?
Reply 3
if you've told him firmly and hes not getting the message then try something like 'next time you ask me that i'll dump you' :smile:
Just look him straight in the eyes and say "I can't let you do that, Starfox".

He'll know what you're talking about.
I had this with an ex, just be honest and tell him to stop asking you because the way he is going, he will drive you away.
Reply 6
Have you asked him WHY it's so important to him to get married & why he keeps asking?
Tell him if he keeps asking you, you'll never marry him ever.

That'll shut him up about it.
Reply 8
Original post by m45
if you've told him firmly and hes not getting the message then try something like 'next time you ask me that i'll dump you' :smile:

Excellent. This could solve your problem, OP? You might have to go through with it though.
Have you asked him why he keeps asking you when you've already said no? I mean maybe he's just insecure and needs reassurance. If it carries on though you need to make it clear he has to stop!
eek. Next time you're on the subject of marriage, just say something like 'oh 18's too young...' or some other crappy excuse.

That should shut him up! If you don't put him straight, it will drive you mad.
Reply 11
I've got a good method if you like a gamble.

Tell him you will but only if he will abstain from sex for 12 months to show how serious he is.

Odds are that he won't agree to it. On the off chance that he does, can I come to the wedding? :biggrin:
my boyfriend used to make subtle references to our 'future marriage' and our wedding night. all very casually put into the conversation. and once i was just wearing a ring.. he took it off admiring it.. then slowly put it on to my wedding finger. we had only been going out for about 3 months at the time.... i think he's just a bit of a romantic daydreamer..... i'm 19 (only just) so i kinda know what youre going through. Just let him know, you guys are way too young if you don't like it.
Reply 13
Has he said he'd like to marry you or actually asked, "Will you marry me?" :lolwut:
Reply 14
Original post by 69Crazyfists
And he's definitely not joking?

no he's not!

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Have you explained to him WHY you don't want to marry him?

yes, i keep saying that i don't want to YET, but i think he thinks that when i say not yet i mean i will in a few months, when its actually more like a few years

Original post by ritchie888
Just look him straight in the eyes and say 'I can't let you do that, Starfox.'

He'll know what you're talking about.

....:confused: ok, i'll try that....
Oh dear :no:

This song was made for girls like you
Original post by kacyiscool
....:confused: ok, i'll try that....

BOOM!
Original post by kacyiscool
yes, i keep saying that i don't want to YET, but i think he thinks that when i say not yet i mean i will in a few months, when its actually more like a few years

Don't say "yet"

Say "I don't want to get married until I'm 21" (or something with a definite age)
Dump him.

Anyone who asks someone to marry them after only two weeks of going out is cleaerly emotionally dependent, insecure and unstable.
Reply 19
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Don't say "yet"

Say "I don't want to get married until I'm 21" (or something with a definite age)

yeh, yeh i'll try that, thankyou :smile:

the thing is, now i've talked about it on here and got loads of good answers and advice to try, i bet he won't ask me again! XD not that that would be a bad thing!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending