The Student Room Group

What are the 'Perfect' A Level Choices?

Hey guys,

I'm in Year 11 now, and have a real interest in studying at one of the top Universities for Economics. I've achieved 4 A*s in English, History, French and Music last year, so I have the belief that I can achieve this.

However, I'm in a real dilemma! I'm unclear over what A-Levels I should take in order to have the best opportunity in doing this.

I've come to the understanding that Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History and Physics are best suited?

What combination would you suggest is best? My idea is Maths, FM, Economics and Physics, simply as it leaves more opportunities open.

Thanks a lot!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
English Literature.

It is difficult, but it will open a lot more doors than physics imo. If you are doing Further maths, I don't see the need to do physics, the only thing you lose is the analytical side of physics (which is highly valued!), but again, you gain more analytical ability through English Literature. Plus it's an essay writing subject, and slightly more evaluative than History as well, imo.

Maths, FM, English Lit, Economics. (Just for the record, I am doing Maths, AS Further Maths, Economics, Biology, AS chemistry).
Reply 2
There's no such thing as the perfect options. Any traditional subject is well valued and to be honest as long as you do maths; which is required for economics courses, any other academic options will be fine.
Reply 3
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History I reckon. It won't make too much difference, if you have FM in there and one subject which shows you are good at essays.
Reply 5
Maths, Further Maths and Economics are the only subjects which any university will have a specific desire for. I'd recommend history because some essay writing shows more breadth, and as a humanities subject it's closer to economics and more relevant than something like English.

I wouldn't say doing Physics gives you more options - do that if you're interested in engineering or obviously physics itself, but that combination pretty much closes off doing any arts subjects at all.
Maths, Economics, Physics and/or Further Maths (definitely one if not the other or both), Philosophy in my opinion.

People say Physics because it is a close substitute for Further Maths in Admissions Tutors' eyes. If you do not take FM they will normally expect to see Physics or Chemistry.

Original post by chiggy321
There's no such thing as the perfect options. Any traditional subject is well valued and to be honest as long as you do maths; which is required for economics courses, any other academic options will be fine.

I somewhat disagree. There are clearly options which maximise your chances like Maths/FM/Economics, particularly as unis actually state preferred subjects for Economics (ie Bath prefers Economics students, LSE prefers FM students.) I do think there are "perfect options" in terms of maximising chances as far as subject choice goes for unis like LSE, but that is not to say they guarantee an offer or that your personal statement/work experience etc means any less.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by chiggy321

I disagree. Maybe not perfect, but certain combinations are definitely better than others.
If yo didn't get an A* in maths GCSE, don't be expecting an A or A* at A level, because that subject is way too hard.
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and then you can choose if you want to do Physics or History, or even both if you're really going for it.
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
If yo didn't get an A* in maths GCSE, don't be expecting an A or A* at A level, because that subject is way too hard.

This is not necessarily true. Many people actually get better at Maths as they age a bit more. Additionally, many put more effort into A levels than GCSEs, so it is not correct to simply advise not to expect an A or A* at A levels based on your GCSE result.
Reply 11
Is Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography good? i thought geography is a very good subject to do? is it?
Reply 12
Maths, Further Maths and Economics definitely.

Then choose a fourth which you will enjoy but might gain skills for the course. (ie. English Lit or History). Perhaps at an open day ask what might be best, or ask a teacher.
Original post by Sukhman
Is Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Geography good? i thought geography is a very good subject to do? is it?

Yes.

Subjects like Geography, Physics, Chemistry, History and Philosophy are all good fourth subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by I Crashin I
Hey guys,

I'm in Year 11 now, and have a real interest in studying at one of the top Universities for Economics. I've achieved 4 A*s in English, History, French and Music last year, so I have the belief that I can achieve this.

However, I'm in a real dilemma! I'm unclear over what A-Levels I should take in order to have the best opportunity in doing this.

I've come to the understanding that Maths, Further Maths, Economics, History and Physics are best suited?

What combination would you suggest is best? My idea is Maths, FM, Economics and Physics, simply as it leaves more opportunities open.

Thanks a lot!

What would you consider a top university for economics?
Reply 15
Original post by DonFahad
English Literature.

It is difficult, but it will open a lot more doors than physics imo. If you are doing Further maths, I don't see the need to do physics, the only thing you lose is the analytical side of physics (which is highly valued!), but again, you gain more analytical ability through English Literature. Plus it's an essay writing subject, and slightly more evaluative than History as well, imo.

Maths, FM, English Lit, Economics. (Just for the record, I am doing Maths, AS Further Maths, Economics, Biology, AS chemistry).

Check my blog below.
Then the post "The perfect A level combination" for economics.
Reply 16
Original post by danny111
I disagree. Maybe not perfect, but certain combinations are definitely better than others.

I think the grades are more of an issue. Obviously if you've got a student with AAA in Travel and Tourism, Film Studies and Media and a student with AAA in Physics, Chemistry and English Lit then the latter will be more favourable, however, more emphasis is on the grades and that's what I was the point I was trying to make.

I think I mentioned that traditional subjects are well valued and I acknowledge very much that some subjects are better than others, however, there's a broad range of them and that's why I said there's no perfect combination.
Reply 17
Original post by SPMS
Check my blog below.
Then the post "The perfect A level combination" for economics.

I understand why we have similar views; it is the only logical view. English Literature indicates someone who is talented at expressing their views and evaluation, which is what traditional universities like LSE and Cambridge like. Maths, FM, Economics are all a given (in terms of preferred universities).

Just a question, not to you specifically, but all;

I am doing Bio, Econ, Maths to A level, and Chem, Further Maths to AS level

My friend is doing FM, Econ, English lit to A level.

I am better at Economics, and am generally more interested in the subject. I have better views. We can both articulate ourselves to the same level, though he probably has a slightly better vocabulary. We are both academically identical upto this point (both achieved 8A*s 2As - As in the same subjects as well). Will I be compromised due to his better subject choice, or will my inclination for the subject and more knowledge of current affairs mark me as the better candidate?
Reply 18
Original post by DonFahad
I understand why we have similar views; it is the only logical view. English Literature indicates someone who is talented at expressing their views and evaluation, which is what traditional universities like LSE and Cambridge like. Maths, FM, Economics are all a given (in terms of preferred universities).

Just a question, not to you specifically, but all;

I am doing Bio, Econ, Maths to A level, and Chem, Further Maths to AS level

My friend is doing FM, Econ, English lit to A level.

I am better at Economics, and am generally more interested in the subject. I have better views. We can both articulate ourselves to the same level, though he probably has a slightly better vocabulary. We are both academically identical upto this point (both achieved 8A*s 2As - As in the same subjects as well). Will I be compromised due to his better subject choice, or will my inclination for the subject and more knowledge of current affairs mark me as the better candidate?

Your friend is doing Further Maths to A level without Maths? If this is so you are a better candidate in terms of subjects instantly.

Interesting, I believe if you write a really strong personal statement that shows you do humanitarian activites eg. writing artciles for newspapers etc. then this would level things up depending on i) the quality of humanitarian EC's you have ii) How good your PS is compared to his? Also, some Universities are more bothered over it than others.
Reply 19
I wouldn't say there are 'perfect' choices at A Level, because everybody wants to do different things which require different subjects.

However, the more academic and traditional subjects are better if you are looking to attend a top uni. Oxford and Cambridge for example aren't so fond of A levels like Film Studies, Photography, Media Studies, ICT, Accountancy, Art etc.

My friend takes Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Although Further Maths and Physics have their differences, they are incredibly similar. I wouldn't take Maths, Further Maths and Physics, but a combination of the two so you can have two other options. An English A level is always good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending