The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just installed Swype :biggrin:
I don't know why it's been pulled from the market. I'm liking it!
Reply 2621
I've got it on my SGS, doesn't look like it's beta? I really like it, scarily good at working out what word you're trying to. It's a good way to type when you're on the move I've found...
Original post by G8D
I don't think it was ever in the market?

AFAIK it's still in beta and only available to those in the beta programme...

I *think* it may have been there temporarily. It's supposed to be a beta but it's apparently quite polished and seems that way to me so far.
I got a link for the apk file, I'm not sure if it works on every phone though...

It seems handy and yes it seems very accurate so far. I can see it being good when you got cold hands.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2623
Original post by G8D
How do you determine if it looks like beta? :p:

Fair point, it's version 2.4.1.xxxx something or other....it works fine so I kinda assumed it wasn't a beta. Probably is though :biggrin:
Reply 2624
Original post by G8D
Latest official version seems to be 2.15.56.14870
http://beta.swype.com/

Hmmm, I think because I updated to 2.2 myself it most likely won't let me update it through the market or Samsung Apps...it's still a solid piece of software. I seem to have problems using space keys on most of the keyboards for some reason...haven't found a perfect one yet.
Original post by RedGuy
Hey guys, anyone got an Oranage San Fransico? There are so many ROMs I don't know which one to choose. Any recommendations? I just want a speedy and clean stock Android 2.2. Oranage really took 10 points away with all the rubbish they have preinstalled. Pre ordered the white one from play.com

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/17454615/Orange-San-Francisco-Android-Pre-Pay-Pay-As-You-Go-Mobile-Phone-Inc-Free-10-Airtime-White/Product.html

I've currently got the MoDaCo r4 2.1 ROM on my San Francisco, and it's very very reliable. The Froyo builds are still in Alpha, and as my San Fran is a "production" phone, I'm somewhat unwilling to take the plunge yet.
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
Tried that stuff before but didn't work.

I've spent about 2 hours on google and nothing works.

But I've found a solution!! :smile:

I've linked my hotmail with my gmail. Now I receive emails from hotmail on my Gmail app which is push. I can also reply using the hotmail address from the Gmail App. Awesome!!!!

Google ftw! :biggrin:

This is exactly what I've done. :biggrin: There's up to a 15 minute delay (because Microsoft won't allow you to poll their pop3 server any more frequently than every 15 minutes), but this is pretty acceptable, in the main.
Original post by silent ninja
Yeah, something you should do instantly when you get an Android phone. The Gmail app is a gem and I'm glad the iPhone lot don't get it (do they?). I have all my accounts picked up by google and all the labels stuff makes it really easy to use on a mobile device.

I have had issues setting up my uni's Microsoft live@edu account though. It was working fine when we were on squirrel mail and a .ac.uk address but microsoft's stupid outlook web version doesn't wanna play ball. I got it sent up on email forward though but it means I can't reply from my uni address via gmail, like I can with other accounts. If anyone knows a solution, do let me know!

My uni uses live@edu, and my mate at uni managed to figure out how to get the IMAP settings off one of the open access machines; I think what he did was open Outlook (as it was configured to open the live@edu account) and then he just copied all the account settings. I think the settings are specific for each university, though so I doubt mine will work. :frown:
How do you guys take screenshots on your Android handsets? I've got an app, cunningly called "screenshot", and I've given it a go, but it's a little clunky. :erm:
Original post by Mad Vlad
How do you guys take screenshots on your Android handsets? I've got an app, cunningly called "screenshot", and I've given it a go, but it's a little clunky. :erm:

I use ShootMe.
You give your phone a shake (or even shout at it lol) and it takes a shot. Your phone has to be rooted but sometimes it works even if it isnt.
My uni uses live@edu, and my mate at uni managed to figure out how to get the IMAP settings off one of the open access machines; I think what he did was open Outlook (as it was configured to open the live@edu account) and then he just copied all the account settings. I think the settings are specific for each university, though so I doubt mine will work. :frown:

I think those helpful IT people at Warwick uni (note the sarcasm) might help me with that. It's not big issue really, I get to read my mails and my tutor has kinda got used to me sending him mail from Gmail :biggrin:
Original post by G8D
PicMe.

Requires root but essentially it's local network/java based VNC to your phone.

It's pretty neat.

Will get a print screen in a mo.

EDIT:
This is a screen shot of Chrome running the PicMe page on LAN.

Static: requires manual refresh, high quality images.
Live: VNC, adjustable quality and refresh rate (to adjust to network speeds), allows input by mouse and keyboard, pretty ****ing cool.

Damn you ZTE... *grumble* Because for some unknown reason, ZTE made the screen on the San Francisco upside down, in PicMe, the screen also appears upside down as they had to make a kludge to orient the screen the correct way :frown: That's really irritating, as that's a really decent app!
Damn you ZTE... *grumble* Because for some unknown reason, ZTE made the screen on the San Francisco upside down, in PicMe, the screen also appears upside down as they had to make a kludge to orient the screen the correct way :frown: That's really irritating, as that's a really decent app!

Does the same on mine with ShootMe. All screenshots are upside down lol
Anyone know how to backup kernels alone? My DHD seems averse to certain kernels, so when testing I need a way to restore the original kernel. Could nandroid it, but thats long for just a kernel
Reply 2634

Yep, very weird. You can rotate the pics on your phone with Adobe Photoshop Express though. The funny thing is, all these problems the Blade has would add very little to the production cost if they were fixed. I'd be more than happy to spend £20-£50 more for the ZTE Blade with fixes. Hopefully next year we'll see the ZTE Blade HD :daydreaming:
(edited 13 years ago)
:woohoo: I've ordered the Desire HD.

30 @ month (30 upfront)
18 months
300 minutes
300 texts
free t-mobile to t-mobile
unlimited internet

total cost = 560

Extremely happy, can't wait till Tuesday now. :nutcase:
Original post by yoyo462001
:woohoo: I've ordered the Desire HD.

30 @ month (30 upfront)
18 months
300 minutes
300 texts
free t-mobile to t-mobile
unlimited internet

total cost = 560

Extremely happy, can't wait till Tuesday now. :nutcase:

300 mins 300 texts :colonhash: how can you live with that?

300 mins 300 texts :colonhash: how can you live with that?

I barely go over 300 texts and anyways I have one of those flexi boosters that can be changed every month to unlimited texts, unlimited T mobile to T mobile or unlimited landline. My current contract is only 150 mins :ahee:
Original post by yoyo462001
I barely go over 300 texts and anyways I have one of those flexi boosters that can be changed every month to unlimited texts, unlimited T mobile to T mobile or unlimited landline. My current contract is only 150 mins :ahee:

Stingy buggers, should've given you unlimited texts at least (without the need for the booster).
3gb limit will be nice though.
Original post by G8D
He got the HD, though.

I removed the link when I noticed that :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending