The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm at the end of my tether with life, uni, everything...

I don't know what I expect by posting this thread, I already know where my problems lie I just...feel..meh.

Tldr; I've had a difficult start to my second year, was feeling better but with unexpected problems, assignment deadlines looming, feeling like friends don't have time for me and a general sense of being ****ing incapable of doing my degree, I'm really dreading the idea of these last few weeks before xmas...

Ever since I got back to uni for my second year, I've felt unsettled, even depressed at points. It's like now the novelty's worn off, all the issues I've been avoiding for the past however many years have started coming to light.
I've started seeing a counsellor and, after she advised me to, I went to see the uni doctor and he gave me one of those questionnaires and derived from that I had mild depression but there wasn't a lot to be done.
After I had a rough few days, I felt a lot better the next fortnight. I was getting on with assignments, had things to look forward to etc. But the last few days have been very stressful with problems with my car leading to me not getting any work done, plus I've had no energy this week - probably a combination of the extreme cold, PMS (yeah, I always get tired but not usually this tired) and stress/feeling low.

As the deadlines have got closer I've felt less together because I really need to pull 'the cat out of the bag' with these essays and make them really good but I feel like, no matter how hard I try, I can't quite get there and it's making it hard to even keep trying.
I came home this weekend for a break and because I'd already planned to but now, thinking of going back tomorrow - after being disappointed by friends over the weekend and facing the dreary prospect of going back and having to really work my ass off before christmas, I literally am dreading it. I just am having real difficulty summoning up that 'gusto' I usually make use of just to get myself working hard and in the right mindset.

I'm well aware this is an essay without real purpose, thanks if you did read it, I guess I just needed a rant really...
Reply 1
Oh well.
I was really depressed at university. Mainly because my home life was crap. I thought uni would help me escape problems at home, but no I just took them with me.

Have you tried getting a job at university? That's one thing I wish I'd done.
Reply 3
Watch programmes on Channel 4od to help your mind relax :smile:

Or do what I do and remember that at the end of the day you're going through all this **** to get a decent degree. This uni stuff is only temporary. You're half way there already, might as well work your face off to make this whole experience worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I was really depressed at university. Mainly because my home life was crap. I thought uni would help me escape problems at home, but no I just took them with me.

Have you tried getting a job at university? That's one thing I wish I'd done.

I was gonna try and get one this year/this christmas but my efforts didn't get very far because I don't have much experience and I just lost the willpower to try...I am trying to sort out some volunteering for next semester though.

Original post by popdrops

Or do what I do and remember that at the end of the day you're going through all this **** to get a decent degree. This uni stuff is only temporary. You're half way there already, might as well work your face off to make this whole experience worth it.

Yeah, I do that but I find it's a delicate balance between giving myself half an hour to unwind and gorging on hours and hours of tv. I guess part of the problem is I'll be abroad next year which is scary enough, plus after I finish my degree I'm gonna have to do a PGCE to get the job I want so I sometimes find myself wishing I could just quit and go and get the hands on experience instead and screw all these essays...

I don't know what I expect by posting this thread, I already know where my problems lie I just...feel..meh.

Tldr; I've had a difficult start to my second year, was feeling better but with unexpected problems, assignment deadlines looming, feeling like friends don't have time for me and a general sense of being ****ing incapable of doing my degree, I'm really dreading the idea of these last few weeks before xmas...

Ever since I got back to uni for my second year, I've felt unsettled, even depressed at points. It's like now the novelty's worn off, all the issues I've been avoiding for the past however many years have started coming to light.
I've started seeing a counsellor and, after she advised me to, I went to see the uni doctor and he gave me one of those questionnaires and derived from that I had mild depression but there wasn't a lot to be done.
After I had a rough few days, I felt a lot better the next fortnight. I was getting on with assignments, had things to look forward to etc. But the last few days have been very stressful with problems with my car leading to me not getting any work done, plus I've had no energy this week - probably a combination of the extreme cold, PMS (yeah, I always get tired but not usually this tired) and stress/feeling low.

As the deadlines have got closer I've felt less together because I really need to pull 'the cat out of the bag' with these essays and make them really good but I feel like, no matter how hard I try, I can't quite get there and it's making it hard to even keep trying.
I came home this weekend for a break and because I'd already planned to but now, thinking of going back tomorrow - after being disappointed by friends over the weekend and facing the dreary prospect of going back and having to really work my ass off before christmas, I literally am dreading it. I just am having real difficulty summoning up that 'gusto' I usually make use of just to get myself working hard and in the right mindset.

I'm well aware this is an essay without real purpose, thanks if you did read it, I guess I just needed a rant really...

Would you like to purchase my username?

£50 ono, first to see will buy
What have your family said about this? Talk to them! This time of year is quite depressing tbh. Maybe you have SAD?
Original post by popdrops

See, as odd as this sounds, watching shows online is literally the only thing that helps me calm down and relax. With a nice cup of tea of course :wink: But tbh OP I would say your on the right track with seeing a doctor and counsellor, also make sure you have time for yourself to relax, find something that helps take stressed away, like a walk or something. And make sure you do keep on top of uni work, make sure you set a certain time to sit down and get it done, turn off all distractions and get your head down, otherwise you will just panic about deadlines missed and it will make things ten times worse. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending