The Student Room Group

This place is a joke..

I've been working at this place for just over 2 months now, i wasn't told when i'd be getting paid, so after a month i asked my boss, who said you'll be paid in 2 months, a week later i got my first wages (cash in hand but had a payslip), it was £68 short, i told my boss it was wrong and when will i be paid my full amount, he just said idk and write down the hours you've worked and i'll sort it.

A month went by, and still nothing, i've just been paid my wages for the second month, and it's £107.01 short, so all together i've been paid £175 short.

Now, i'm getting really sick of this, and i'm going to quit but i need the money i'm owed, but i think my boss is going to really drag his feet with it, so what can i do bascially? What if my boss doesn't pay me, what are my rights with this?

I don't see how they paid me so wrong though, becuase i've clocked in everytime i've worked, i also think it's abit dodgy as none of us pay tax or NI from our wages..
Reply 1
Original post by Stranded-At-The-Drive-In
I've been working at this place for just over 2 months now, i wasn't told when i'd be getting paid, so after a month i asked my boss, who said you'll be paid in 2 months, a week later i got my first wages (cash in hand but had a payslip), it was £68 short, i told my boss it was wrong and when will i be paid my full amount, he just said idk and write down the hours you've worked and i'll sort it.

A month went by, and still nothing, i've just been paid my wages for the second month, and it's £107.01 short, so all together i've been paid £175 short.

Now, i'm getting really sick of this, and i'm going to quit but i need the money i'm owed, but i think my boss is going to really drag his feet with it, so what can i do bascially? What if my boss doesn't pay me, what are my rights with this?

I don't see how they paid me so wrong though, becuase i've clocked in everytime i've worked, i also think it's abit dodgy as none of us pay tax or NI from our wages..

They're taking the piss. Tell them that you are not happy with whats going on and want the money that you're owed else you'll take the to a tribunal (dunno if you can but whatever) if they still don't then start looking for another job and quit.

This is most likely illegal, tell them you'll phone trading standards and have them take a look unless you get your money.
Reply 3
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
This is most likely illegal, tell them you'll phone trading standards and have them take a look unless you get your money.

Talk to him. Yes this is illegal :smile:

How long do you think it'll be until i get the money..i need it, like, now =/
Reply 5
Can I ask, what work is it?
How long do you think it'll be until i get the money..i need it, like, now =/

Tbf, you haven't really lost anything. You're working illegally, so you're not paying taxes - the money you would have paid in taxes, your boss has nicked instead. :cool:

It's a food shop, and it's a relativly large bussniss chain too, not like a small little fish n chip shop or whatever.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Tbf, you haven't really lost anything. You're working illegally, so you're not paying taxes - the money you would have paid in taxes, your boss has nicked instead. :cool:

Well i had no idea at first that you didn't pay taxes, i have on all my other jobs i've had, it was only until someone told me that they don't charge tax n thats when i got thinking there's something wrong with this place..
You could contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau to see who exactly you need to lodge a formal complaint with (I don't think it's trading standards as someone else suggested), though:

a) any official/legal route will likely drag out for months and months even if you are in the right, and you need money now
b) if your boss really is a criminal and you have not been paying taxes, you might not actually not be owed any extra money anyway
c) perhaps you have just misunderstood the situation - being paid in cash does not necessarily mean you haven't been paying tax

Your best bet is to talk with your boss, with "talking" including arguing if necessary. Young, temporary, unskilled staff are very easy to screw over.
Original post by Stranderive-In
i need it, like, now =/

Jus, love your sentence. :tongue:
Original post by James Gregory
You could contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau to see who exactly you need to lodge a formal complaint with (I don't think it's trading standards as someone else suggested), though:

a) any official/legal route will likely drag out for months and months even if you are in the right, and you need money now
b) if your boss really is a criminal and you have not been paying taxes, you might not actually not be owed any extra money anyway
c) perhaps you have just misunderstood the situation - being paid in cash does not necessarily mean you haven't been paying tax

Your best bet is to talk with your boss, with "talking" including arguing if necessary. Young, temporary, unskilled staff are very easy to screw over.

He hasn't been paying taxes because on our wage slip it says 'taxes £0.00 and NI £0.00'.

Well if he doesn't pay me, i'm still going through the legal route just to make his life that little bit harder and to teach him he can't screw with me!
It's also hard to talk to him as he's pure evil, the way he treats his staff is shocking, bascailly calling everyone stupid, and shouting at them in front of everyone, not to mention belittling them on purpose.
He hasn't been paying taxes because on our wage slip it says 'taxes £0.00 and NI £0.00'.

Well if he doesn't pay me, i'm still going through the legal route just to make his life that little bit harder and to teach him he can't screw with me!
It's also hard to talk to him as he's pure evil, the way he treats his staff is shocking, bascailly calling everyone stupid, and shouting at them in front of everyone, not to mention belittling them on purpose.

I just did a quick check and it seems if you earn less than about £100 per week (I can't be bothered to check the exact upto date figures) then it is normal to pay no tax. So don't go getting all excited and thinking your boss is definitely a crook. It remains perfectly likely that there really has just been a misunderstanding, however much of an idiot your boss is.
Original post by James Gregory
I just did a quick check and it seems if you earn less than about £100 per week (I can't be bothered to check the exact upto date figures) then it is normal to pay no tax. So don't go getting all excited and thinking your boss is definitely a crook. It remains perfectly likely that there really has just been a misunderstanding, however much of an idiot your boss is.

Damn =/.

Well can i still take legal action if he doesn't pay me soon, and what if he denies i worked all the hours, and says im lying, how do i get proof i've actually worked the hours i said?
If you really can't get him to pay you then ultimately you can go make official complaints etc, but realistically this will take ages and is highly unlikely to be the most efficient way to get any money owed to you. By far your best bet is just to talk to your boss, being assertive and persistent enough that he doesn't just brush you off, but at the same time don't be so argumentative and ranting that your real point is lost amidst ranting insults. It remains likely that the problem is more due to misundertstanding or incompetence rather than purposeful withholding of pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending