The Student Room Group

Hobbit Casting Agent Fired After Discrimination Allegations (British Pakistani)

Hobbit Casting Agent Fired After Discrimination Allegations

A British woman of Pakistani heritage was told "we're looking for light-skinned people" at an extras casting for The Hobbit, and now, according to reports, "the crew member in question has been dismissed."

Read more: http://jezebel.com/5703188/hobbit-casting-agent-fired-after-discrimination-allegations#ixzz17HNe5tTM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree with the casting agent, seeing a brown person in the movie would just be silly, especially as an extra (maybe if they'd explain where she came from etc, but not someone who's just walking around).

PC is destroying movies these days.
Reply 2
I mean seriously, they wanted light skinned people, she wasn't, get over it.
Reply 3
Political correctness has almost gone as overboard as health and safety tbh.

It's like a white person asking to have a role in a shao lin monk film.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
the hobbit in the ghetto is the alternative for her.
Thats disgusting.

In the UK British law states that you can definitely discriminate in terms of race and sex if their is a geniune authentic reason

i.e. Discriminating for chinese waiters at a Chinese restaurant.

Discriminating for a woman tailor at a ladeis underwear store.

Hiring a white hobbit for a white cultural film written from white English mythology.
Reply 6
They wanted a light-skinned person, she doesn't have light skin. Stupid bitch pulling the race card.

I'm not racist, but who else thinks that a white person would be laughed off the set if this happened in reverse, i.e. pulling the race card because their audition was turned down because the director was looking for a dark-skinned person to play a role?
There was a thread already on this. Couldn't they have powdered her face? The woman should've just dealt with it imo.
Reply 8
Ridiculous. Imagine if a white person had auditioned to play Gandhi or some other South Asian character - they'd be laughed away. The fact is that Hobbits are described as being light skinned and fair haired; there are no 'British Pakistani' Hobbits, idiots.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PlanetEuropa
Thats disgusting.

In the UK British law states that you can definitely discriminate in terms of race and sex if their is a geniune authentic reason

i.e. Discriminating for chinese waiters at a Chinese restaurant.

Discriminating for a woman tailor at a ladeis underwear store.

Hiring a white hobbit for a white cultural film written from white English mythology.

The difference is the first two are seen as the persecuted..
For God's sake, I'm not even going to rant about how ****ing ridiculous this is because I'd be here until Christmas.
Reply 11
Original post by CombineHarvester
There was a thread already on this. Couldn't they have powdered her face? The woman should've just dealt with it imo.

There are more differences than simply skin colour: nose shape and size; eye shape; bone structure; hair colour and texture. I doubt you could make a South Asian look truly Northern European with even the best prosthetics modern technology can buy, and why would you when you can just, y'know, hire a Northern European person instead?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
It's not racist. If they had specified that they wanted light-skin people, why did she go for the audition?
Original post by Einheri
There are more differences than simply skin colour: nose shape and size; eye shape; bone structure; hair colour and texture. I doubt you could make a South Asian look truly Northern European with even the best prosthetics modern technology can buy, and why would you when you can just, y'know, hire a Northern European person instead?

Indeed. Let's not forget we're talking about extras here, of which there are craploads, not actors with major roles!
Reply 14
Original post by I'mNewHere

How are they persecuted?
Original post by I'mNewHere

It has nothing to do with persecution. It is about geniune authenticity, what are you talking about ?
Reply 16
Why can't non white people be in these films. Racist **** deserved what he/she got. What stupid thing to say for a professional.
Stupid stupid woman, I'm caucasian so I wouldn't go to an audition for a zulu!
Original post by ajtiesto
Why can't non white people be in these films. Racist **** deserved what he/she got. What stupid thing to say for a professional.

Because these films are strongly connected to nordic and anglo saxon mythology.
Brown people have no place in them

End of story.
Reply 19
Original post by ajtiesto

Because the hobbits (indeed, most of the characters in LOTR) are white or light skinned. Are you seriously suggesting that the casting director is racist for keeping to the story? Would you say the same if a light skinned person was turned down because the director was looking for a dark-skinned person? Are you mentally deficient?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending