The Student Room Group

Is it terrible not to like your boyfriend's birthday present?

I'm a really girly girl, im into clothes, jewellery, shoes, make-up etc. so it's so easy to buy for me, just get me some earrings and ill be happy. for my birthday my boyfriend got me some speakers. i dont really listen to music, i never talk to my boyfriend about music, and im not into technology stuff at all. is it awful that i dont appreciate the present at all?

i know this sounds so shallow but i spent £100+ on his birthday present, and he gets me some £15 speakers...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe he's poor? No it's not terrible that you don't like the present but then again it's the thought that counts...yep.
Reply 2
You can't be expected to like every present just because he bought it for you. Though maybe you should hint more next time? (not that he should spend £100 on you, just to get you earrings even if they are 'just' £15).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Just because you are in a relationship doesn't automatically mean you have to enjoy **** presents. I say **** of course in reference to you having no use for this present.
HAHAH shameeeeeee!
yeah fair enough, he's not well-off. but neither am i, im a student and i could only afford his present by doing extra shifts during the weekend. he just got it sooooo wrong...im thinking of passing the present onto my brother or something
Reply 6
Original post by thats_my_poison
yeah fair enough, he's not well-off. but neither am i, im a student and i could only afford his present by doing extra shifts during the weekend. he just got it sooooo wrong...im thinking of passing the present onto my brother or something

There's really no need to do that. At least have them on display or something. There's no telling how long he might have thought about what to get you. Just hint better next time.
Reply 7
Yes, it is terrible you bitch!!

Joke
Reply 8
I wouldn't feel bad for not appreciating it, I'd feel confused and a little bit annoyed at my boyfriend for not knowing me well enough to buy me something I'd like, especially if I was easy to buy for :/

I guess at least they're practical, you can still use them, its not like an ugly jumper as a gift that you'd never put on!
Reply 9
This relationship won't last long.
Only if you said "Ohh I don't want anything" if he asked you what you'd want.

If that didn't happen, then you're entitled to not liking the present.
Reply 11
Ever heard of "it's the thought that counts"? It's not like he got you a bunch of wilted flowers from the petrol station.

It's okay to not like it.
It's not okay to not appreciate it.

There is a difference.
You should be grateful he even bought you anything.
Women moaning? Nah, we grow to accept it.
Reply 14
Original post by Crazy Paving
Women moaning? Nah, we grow to accept it.

Exactly, don't know they're bloody born
Reply 15
Do you know how terrifying the thought of picking clothes or jewellery is for most guys? Especially if you're really girly and into it, because you're more likely to be critical. What he did was choose something practical, which he probably thought couldn't go wrong. Put them on display, hint better next time.
i was joking when i said id give them to my brother! yeah of course ill use it. i guess he did the typical thing of buying a present that he secretly wants himself!
Reply 17
Original post by Cicerao
Ever heard of "it's the thought that counts"? It's not like he got you a bunch of wilted flowers from the petrol station.

It's okay to not like it.
It's not okay to not appreciate it.

There is a difference.

Woah, those words were very deep. Very wise words. Hope you have read this, OP.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Cable
Woah, that is very deep. Very wise words. Hope you read this OP.

I'm blushing. :mmm:
I think it would be ok to be a bit peeved off if your boyfriend bought you a pigeon or a disabled crocodile or something. But your boyfriend might see it as special and if it was meant to be then you would like the gift and like your boyfriend more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending