The Student Room Group

Ok, beginning to think I didn't act as predicted...

First of all, this sounds like a troll, and my history on this site isn't going to be helpful. It's not, though.

So, I'm not very good at buying gifts; in order to combat this, I ask people what they want and buy them that - simple!

Been in a new relationship for about a month and I asked what she wanted for her birthday (which was today); she replied, "Oh, nothing really" ... so that's exactly what I got her.

Now, she's slapped me, broken up with me and said I'm a heartless ****. I'm thinking I did something wrong here, but don't really understand what.

Help, someone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Should've just gave her a swift kick to the babymaker.
Reply 2
Original post by Arcanine
Should've just gave her a swift kick to the babymaker.

Why would I do that?
Reply 3
You clearly need to have a look at a Girlspeak - English dictionary:

http://ifaq.wap.org/sex/girlspeak.html

As you can see at the bottom, "nothing" in girlspeak means "everything" in English, and "nothing really" means you're a jerk.
Reply 4
Original post by Vindobona

As you can see at the bottom, "nothing" in girlspeak means "everything" in English.

That's the answer to a completely different question ... and I can't possibly buy her everything.
Reply 5
Original post by Vindobona

As you can see at the bottom, "nothing" in girlspeak means "everything" in English, and "nothing really" means you're a jerk.

Besides, I am a girl. If I'd said nothing, I would have meant nothing.

I think I just need the Me-Everyone translator. :frown:
Reply 6
She meant there's nothing in particular she felt you must buy, and so anything would have sufficed, providing it wasn't stupid. Like speakers.
Reply 7
:rofl: sorry, but I find this a bit funny.

Are you sure there was no other reason for her breaking up with you?
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Besides, I am a girl. If I'd said nothing, I would have meant nothing.

I think I just need the Me-Everyone translator. :frown:

Then you are the only girl in the world to say and mean that. Tell a lie I know one more as well. But that is two only.
Reply 9
Original post by lonely14
:rofl: sorry, but I find this a bit funny.

Are you sure there was no other reason for her breaking up with you?

Why is it funny?

And yeah, I think so. We'd be having a good time, she seemed to see me at the beginning...
Reply 10
You'd have helped matters by being clearer that you're bad at surprises and actually genuinely need a answer (sounds like she took it as a throw away convo, and expected a surprise).

She's over-reacting a little though.
Reply 11
Original post by laut_biru
You'd have helped matters by being clearer that you're bad at surprises and actually genuinely need a answer (sounds like she took it as a throw away convo, and expected a surprise).

She's over-reacting a little though.

But I didn't know I had to make it clear it was an actual - why else would I have asked it? :confused:
Reply 12
X

Meant to say she seemed happy to see me in my last reply.
First of all, this sounds like a troll, and my history on this site isn't going to be helpful. It's not, though.

So, I'm not very good at buying gifts; in order to combat this, I ask people what they want and buy them that - simple!

Been in a new relationship for about a month and I asked what she wanted for her birthday (which was today); she replied, "Oh, nothing really" ... so that's exactly what I got her.

Now, she's slapped me, broken up with me and said I'm a heartless ****. I'm thinking I did something wrong here, but don't really understand what.

Help, someone?

If that is true, you are great. I have to say that I am similar to you. I understand what is said to me, not what is expected of me to make up. Well, good luck in finding a new and most importantly more rational girlfriend.

Females, I am not saying that this is only a problem of yours. Males can be similarly baffling.
Reply 14
Meant to say she seemed happy to see me in my last reply.

Can't you talk her and explain it to her?

I also think she is overreacting, I mean you've only been going out for a month, you can't expect to know her fully. Can you? :holmes:
Reply 15
Can't you talk her and explain it to her?

I also think she is overreacting, I mean you've only been going out for a month, you can't expect to know her fully. Can you? :holmes:

She slapped me, yelled at me in front of her entire party and called me names - not sure I want to explain it to her, it's not like I still want to date her.
Reply 16
Original post by Life_peer
If that is true, you are great. I have to say that I am similar to you. I understand what is said to me, not what is expected of me to make up. Well, good luck in finding a new and most importantly more rational girlfriend.

Females, I am not saying that this is only a problem of yours. Males can be similarly baffling.

Great? :confused:
Reply 17
She slapped me, yelled at me in front of her entire party and called me names - not sure I want to explain it to her, it's not like I still want to date her.

What a nutcase!

If that is what she did I would say "shrug it off" - Good riddance.

Look for someone else.
Original post by aliluvschoc
She meant there's nothing in particular she felt you must buy, and so anything would have sufficed, providing it wasn't stupid. Like speakers.

Haha, nice thread link there :wink:
Great? :confused:

Exactly. Considerably above the normal or average in quality. I support people who actually think and not just follow social conventions even if they disagree with them. It is a very well-known fact that you are expected to buy a gift to your melancholic and cryptic girlfriend for her birthday, but when she says no, she should get nothing according to her wish. It is not rocket science, is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending