The Student Room Group

LOng term relationship without sex! possible?

hey I was just wondering what were your thoughts on this, if there was this girl who you really liked and she was everything you ever wanted (looks and personality) but you couldn't sleep with her! lets say the girl (me in this situation lol) didn't want to have sex because it was against her culture! would this hold you back from getting into a long term relationship with her! or you wouldn't mind?

btw I've met this guy we both really like each other, it's not official yet I just told him that I wont sleep with him and asked him to think about it before we take this any further! I mean I would sleep with him once I trust and love him and know 98% that I will marry this dude! this might take a good 2 years lol I mean I don't know how long it will take :s-smilie:
keep anon tsr thank you

Scroll to see replies

Don't bother with this one.
Reply 2
Will you do other sexual stuff? :erm:

If I was with somebody and they didn't want to do anything then I don't think I would want to continue with the relationship. On the other hand, if they did 'everything' apart from sex I'd also find it hard to understand why, as there isn't any less trust involved in that than with sex (arguably, oral has more trust involved than sex). I mean... 2 years?? It's a very long time!
(edited 13 years ago)
When you say you wont have sex how much would you do?

If nothing then probably not sorry, it would basically just be a good friendship. If making out was the max then it would get frustrating over time, so again maybe not. If oral/hands were on the cards then yes.
Whats the point?
It won't work with me. Bitchez can't keep their hands off.
Reply 6
Yeah, a long term relationship without sex is called marriage...
No, because she's obviously an idiot.
You're not going to get the kind of reply you're looking for on here.
Reply 9
I would stay. But I'm a girl, so I'm not sure how valuable this answer is.
Reply 10
Ofcourse it's possible.
I'm in a long term relationship and we dont have sex. That shouldn't be the most important thing.
2 years and just kissing, you are harsh :P
I've been going out with my boyfriend for 3 and a half years and he's respected my decision to not have sex.

It is totally possible. It may be hard at certain times (when sex is is all you can think about) and other times your not affected by it at all. The important thing to remember is that it's okay to have that strong urge... you always get that once in a while, so just learn to set some boundaries between the two of you.

Also make sure you have a good foundation for this relationshop to stand on and a good friendhsip, that way sex won't be the focal point of your relationship.
I know this is different, but I went through a rough period with my bf where in the space of a year we had sex about 4 times, and he stayed with me. Obviously different situation because you won't have sex with him full stop, however my bf went from getting it regularly to not at all, which I think is equally as harsh. It just depends on the guy really!
Reply 14
No.
Original post by Anonymous
hey I was just wondering what were your thoughts on this, if there was this girl who you really liked and she was everything you ever wanted (looks and personality) but you couldn't sleep with her! lets say the girl (me in this situation lol) didn't want to have sex because it was against her culture! would this hold you back from getting into a long term relationship with her! or you wouldn't mind?

btw I've met this guy we both really like each other, it's not official yet I just told him that I wont sleep with him and asked him to think about it before we take this any further! I mean I would sleep with him once I trust and love him and know 98% that I will marry this dude! this might take a good 2 years lol I mean I don't know how long it will take :s-smilie:
keep anon tsr thank you

theoretically its possible. however, you must try to divert her beliefs to one side and insert one in with permission. Just slowly and carefully using subtle messages say that culture is bull, sex is more important than tradition.

but personally, she's a moron, forget about her
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

keep anon tsr thank you

I'm a guy. age 19. been in a relationship for over 2.5 years. possible, but difficult. depends how strong you are. depends how horny you are lol and also depends on your upbringing in the first place. if you view sex as something in the distance in the first place, you should be fine. If you're like the typical western teenager who thinks its a shame to be a virgin by the time youv graduated from high school and sees sex as a pre-requisite to affirm the compatibility, then you obviously can't go ahead with this...
Reply 17
I would go into a long term relationship with a girl if there was no sex.

A relationship is more than sex. To be honest, after a while sex gets boring the more you do it so its better to leave it to special occasions that mean something.

I find the company of the person just as good and being able to talk to them about anything :smile:
Reply 18
2 years without sex?

At age 18+ ? Well, personally I think not. But then there are plenty of people who do it and are happy. It depends on the people involved.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Im going to be watching this thread :ninjagirl:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending