The Student Room Group

Christmas Eve vs. Christmas Day

Which day do you prefer?

I've always loved Christmas Eve. It's sort of the whole last minute buzz about the day and just immense excitement carried through from childhood. I just think Christmas day suffers from 'Sunday syndrome' a bit too much.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Christmas eve sucks in comparison Christmas day...

For me it's just an ordinary day pretty much...
Well, to be honest, everything after Christmas eve til early Jan is a constant, low level hangover- so I've gotta vote Christmas eve.
Christmas ultimately ends up as one big disappointment.
Reply 4
Original post by Fusion
Which day do you prefer?

I've always loved Christmas Eve. It's sort of the whole last minute buzz about the day and just immense excitement carried through from childhood. I just think Christmas day suffers from 'Sunday syndrome' a bit too much.

Neither. I prefer the start of the Christmas holidays/the last day of studies. It's at that point that you have the WHOLE holiday to look forward to, on top of all the festivities.
Christmas Eve. Only because I'm a Pole.
I love Christmas Eve! Often the anticipation is better than the initial buzz on Christmas morning, and then suddenly it hits about 3pm and it feels like it's all over. And then there's Boxing Day and my entire family sink into a mutual depression.
Reply 7
Both...can't choose. When it gets to about 8 in the evening it gets depressing though.

Going back to work on Boxing Day with ****loads of returns, no Christmas decorations and boring elevator music instead of Christmas songs was horrible.
Reply 8
Eve as a kid was awesome just the build up of the past year and the excitement of Christmas the next day. Now I think about sitting down with a glass of Sherry by the fire watching old movies on TV being all warm and cosy while it snows outside and the kids are playing with their toys amongst the wrapping paper littering the floor.

**** me I must be getting old :nothing:
You don't get presents on Christmas Eve :fyi:
Reply 10
Original post by INTJ
I prefer the start of the Christmas holidays/the last day of studies. It's at that point that you have the WHOLE holiday to look forward to, on top of all the festivities.

I must admit, the last school (half) day in December was always good fun.
Reply 11
Original post by Fusion
I must admit, the last school (half) day in December was always good fun.

They are. Deadlines are usually over, and (if you're at uni) you have plenty of time off to enjoy yourself. Also, if it's snowing, that is always fun! But the snow here is melting :frown:
Christmas Eve, every time :biggrin:
Reply 13
I've always preferred Christmas Day. Christmas Eve was good when we were kids, Santa Claus and all that. The anticipation keeping you awake and always trying to catch Santa but never being able to.

But Christmas Day was something else. Getting up to see all the presents there, sitting in my pyjamas playing with them with my parents sitting happily watching TV. I miss those days. But I still love Christmas Day, it's one of the only days of the year where you're actually on holiday and put all your problems off, watch some good TV, chill with family, I love it.
Christmas Eve is definitely the best in my opinion. I think it kind of stems from childhood when I'd be too excited to sleep. :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Addzter
You don't get presents on Christmas Eve :fyi:

Yeah, but you get to anticipate better presents than you'll actually get! :tongue:
It has to be christmas eve because of the

But then christmas Day, with the food... :sogood:
Reply 17
I know what you mean about the "Sunday syndrome": cold light, massive meals and awful telly. I would say, in my typical sitting-on-the-fence style, that the last half of Eve and the first half of Day is the best bit. Christmas Day tea is the depressing point for me.

I quite like boxing day: it's a chance to see members of the extended family and it has that cathartic quality of waking up before everyone else the morning after a house party and just going outside and wandering the streets in the early morning.
Reply 18
Depends how old you are, I remember when I vastly preferred Christmas day over Christmas eve but now it's the other way round. Christmas eve on the town with the lads is the best night of year.
Christmas Eve! It's like .... the last minute run up to christmas, and they have all the xmas specials on tv, and the presents are under the tree etc. It brings out my inner kid lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending