The Student Room Group

im at uni and desperate to live in halls! help

im at uni and as it was my insurance choice i didnt have a room on campus. I put my name on the waiting list 3 weeks ago but i havnt yet been called about a room even though i know someone else who did.

anyway i really want to live in halls as i feel im sort of missing out on the full experience. Does anyone know when there is more of a chance when people are likely to drop out of halls for e.g. is december a good month for having more of a chance that people may move out of halls and move back home or is a a really slim chance now?
Reply 1
You're not missing much tbh. The only "experience" is immature children running around screaming at 4 in the morning.
Reply 2
Original post by Cicerao
You're not missing much tbh. The only "experience" is immature children running around screaming at 4 in the morning.

Ignore this .. :facepalm:

Halls is a good experience, yes, especially if your someone who enjoys going out and having a good times. (no, that doesnt mean you HAVE to drink for some sad act people who think that, you can go out at uni and stay out late without drink).

You will have a more sociable life.. at my halls we are the main flat out of our group of mates so frequently have our flat of 6 boys in our lounge area, and our doors always open so have atleast 5-10 other people in here at all times during the day and when were going out we have atleast 15-20 others too , we just chill out.. you won't really experience this at private houses, not unless you plan it a lot more.

Private houses arent a bad thing, usually cheaper, usually get better stuff such as double beds and wifi and whatever other random 'luxuries' some/most student halls wont have. You may have to 'put in' a bit more to have a good social life if your in a private house, but thats not that hard. You'll still have a perfectly good social life it just wont come as naturally to you like in halls , for example where people just walk around to meet people.

As for when people drop out, my experience is a few weeks in.. and just before xmas, this is from my experience and what i've heard/ It is a ahrder choice to drop out the further in the year you get so the chance gets smaller.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Halls are awesome,
Quite often we'd go to a club and take over it (160 in my house) or have movie nights with about 30 people, or ping pong tornements.
I organised paintballing for us too and had 30 go to that.
At dinner with 20-40 people from our each day.

Our house was extremely close though.

December is a good time people will drop out. The problem may be going to halls and people being less friendly as they have their friendship groups etc.

We had a guy join after christmas in our house, we made him welcome and he really enjoyed his time.
Original post by a112
im at uni and as it was my insurance choice i didnt have a room on campus. I put my name on the waiting list 3 weeks ago but i havnt yet been called about a room even though i know someone else who did.

anyway i really want to live in halls as i feel im sort of missing out on the full experience. Does anyone know when there is more of a chance when people are likely to drop out of halls for e.g. is december a good month for having more of a chance that people may move out of halls and move back home or is a a really slim chance now?

I imagine you're going to get people that return home for Christmas, realise they're miserable and drop out ... so yeah, you're probably in a better position now.
Reply 5
Original post by AshleyT
Halls are awesome,
Quite often we'd go to a club and take over it (160 in my house) or have movie nights with about 30 people, or ping pong tornements.
I organised paintballing for us too and had 30 go to that.
At dinner with 20-40 people from our each day.

Our house was extremely close though.

December is a good time people will drop out. The problem may be going to halls and people being less friendly as they have their friendship groups etc.

We had a guy join after christmas in our house, we made him welcome and he really enjoyed his time.

i have heard that december is a good month for drop outs but do you know why people would drop out in december? wouldnt they have dropped out already if they were miserable?
Original post by Tommyjw
Ignore this .. :facepalm:

Halls is a good experience, yes, especially if your someone who enjoys going out and having a good times. (no, that doesnt mean you HAVE to drink for some sad act people who think that, you can go out at uni and stay out late without drink).

You will have a more sociable life.. at my halls we are the main flat out of our group of mates so frequently have our flat of 6 boys in our lounge area, and our doors always open so have atleast 5-10 other people in here at all times during the day and when were going out we have atleast 15-20 others too , we just chill out.. you won't really experience this at private houses, not unless you plan it a lot more.

Private houses arent a bad thing, usually cheaper, usually get better stuff such as double beds and wifi and whatever other random 'luxuries' some/most student halls wont have. You may have to 'put in' a bit more to have a good social life if your in a private house, but thats not that hard. You'll still have a perfectly good social life it just wont come as naturally to you like in halls , for example where people just walk around to meet people.

As for when people drop out, my experience is a few weeks in.. and just before xmas, this is from my experience and what i've heard/ It is a ahrder choice to drop out the further in the year you get so the chance gets smaller.

No no no no. Do not ignore what he quoted. That is exactly what halls is like.

Way overrated. You get no sleep, it's noisy as hell, and yes you do get people running up and down at 4 in the morning. If you want to act like a child then i'd recommend you move into halls. If you value your sleep and sanity, stay where you are!
Original post by a112
i have heard that december is a good month for drop outs but do you know why people would drop out in december? wouldnt they have dropped out already if they were miserable?

A lot of people think, "Oh, I'll give it until Christmas" ... and, come Christmas, they don't think it's getting better and leave. Or they were unsure, but going home makes them miss it all over again. Or they do their first exam and realise they're not cut out for uni.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by CookieDoughLove
No no no no. Do not ignore what he quoted. That is exactly what halls is like.

Way overrated. You get no sleep, it's noisy as hell, and yes you do get people running up and down at 4 in the morning. If you want to act like a child then i'd recommend you move into halls. If you value your sleep and sanity, stay where you are!

And..? my whole flat stays up til one four, so do all the flats around me.. no1 cares.

We know no1 cares because everyone joins us ..
How is staying up and having a laugh, maybe watching some crappy film, having a good banter with people and such a thing a child does?

Its university for god sake, have some fun.

Fair enough if you dont stay up this late but dont call people who do children, i am mature for my age in what i do and so are a lot of people i hang around with and us staying up late on nights out does not make us children.

I thought my post was quite justified, i said if the OP likes going out and staying up late they would like halls.. if they dont, it may not be the BEST option, but its not like its the worst.
Reply 9
Original post by Tommyjw
staying up late on nights out does not make us children.

No, it doesn't, but making a godawful noise and shouting and knocking on doors and playing loud music, totally inconsiderate of anyone else is childish/immature.
You're not guaranteed to have an amazing time living in halls. It can be a great experience, as others here prove, but it can also be abit rubbish. I wouldn't say it's the end of the world if you don't get in, tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by Cicerao
No, it doesn't, but making a godawful noise and shouting and knocking on doors and playing loud music, totally inconsiderate of anyone else is childish/immature.

Sorry, i didnt realise your one experience stood for every single persons at university who live in halls.

:facepalm:

We live in a very lively halls building, never had people run around and knock on our doors. We can never hear anyone playing there music loud, even if we KNOW they are, we cant hear it unless we are at there door or near it in the hallway, which is irrelevant anyway as you wouldnt be there.

So ya know.. dont go telling people halls is for immature and such people when your one experience is not the only one, k?
Reply 12
Original post by Tommyjw
Sorry, i didnt realise your one experience stood for every single persons at university who live in halls.

:facepalm:

We live in a very lively halls building, never had people run around and knock on our doors. We can never hear anyone playing there music loud, even if we KNOW they are, we cant hear it unless we are at there door or near it in the hallway, which is irrelevant anyway as you wouldnt be there.

So ya know.. dont go telling people halls is for immature and such people when your one experience is not the only one, k?

Oh, don't get me wrong, not everyone in halls is immature, just that a large amount of people in halls tend to be immature teenagers who go wild away from mummy and daddy's watchful eye.
Original post by Tommyjw

To be fair here, your post is saying that halls is a good experience. That's true for you, but not for everyone - your experience is also not the only one.
Reply 14
Original post by TheSownRose
To be fair here, your post is saying that halls is a good experience. That's true for you, but not for everyone - your experience is also not the only one.

It does say its good especially if you like all the going out and staying up

Wouldnt you agree that the general average experience at halls is good? some are amazing, some are awful.. but the average normal one is good.
Original post by Tommyjw
It does say its good especially if you like all the going out and staying up

Wouldnt you agree that the general average experience at halls is good? some are amazing, some are awful.. but the average normal one is good.

I daresay that most people find it alright and TSR gets a distorted view of it ... but still, halls are not the idyllic lifestyle that some people (not necessarily you; you did at least acknowledge they suit some people more than others) spout on about.
Original post by Tommyjw
And..? my whole flat stays up til one four, so do all the flats around me.. no1 cares.

We know no1 cares because everyone joins us ..
How is staying up and having a laugh, maybe watching some crappy film, having a good banter with people and such a thing a child does?

Its university for god sake, have some fun.

Fair enough if you dont stay up this late but dont call people who do children, i am mature for my age in what i do and so are a lot of people i hang around with and us staying up late on nights out does not make us children.

I thought my post was quite justified, i said if the OP likes going out and staying up late they would like halls.. if they dont, it may not be the BEST option, but its not like its the worst.

When did I ever claim everyone who stays up late is a child exactly?
Reply 17
Original post by a112

A lot try to hold out till christmas
And also finding accomodation is probably easier in January imo.
Why dont you go to your Brunel SU and ask if they can get accom services to get you a room? It'll be a bit awkward joining halfway through the year, they'll all have already bonded and you'll have to work your way into social groups as the blanket acceptance of freshers week has come and gone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending