The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There the following possibilities which come to mind..

1) A girl shorter then 5'4" who wants a boyfriend taller then her but doesn't mean if the difference is all that much (though I know two girls, one being 4ft 10 and one being 4ft 11 so...5" is significant..)

2) A girl who is roughly 5'4" and who is looking for a boyfriend of roughly equal height.

3) A girl who likes her boyfriend to be a bit shorter then her (it might not be common, but I highly doubt there aren't a few out there.)
Original post by jr01
This is just not true. Women love to use to the confidence-excuse (or the chemistry or short man syndrome excuse), when in fact she's just lying so that other people won't accuse her of being a shallow heightist.

Erm I've dated short men. The only thing they had in common was confidence and a positive attitude about their height.

That blows your theory out of the water.
Reply 102
I'm 5'4 and my boyfriend is a few inches shorter than me. It doesn't bother me whatsoever, it just means I get to take the piss out of him for it. In a loving way, of course.
Original post by domino0806
Oh, shut up. You're being utterly ridiculous, you can't call someone a racist for not being attracted to a person of a certain race. It's the nature of sexual attraction, it's discriminative.

So you're saying it's natural to be racist then?

Oh and please don't tell me to shut up. Don't act so tough just because you're behind a computer screen.
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
I am appalled by your aggressiveness and general rudeness. Instead of providing counter arguments and focussing on the issue you just went ahead and randomly insulted tinywings for no good reason. I can't believe you gave a rant about discrimination an outward appearances being secondary and then started making offensive assumptions about people you don't even know based on their choice of university. I'd say you were a troll if you didn't have an established account.

I believe her point is valid. You can't force physical attraction on people and you can't deny that physical attraction is a major part of any meaningful relationship. Don't tell me you don't have sexual preferences. Besides if you don't want to jump someone's bones then that doesn't mean you hate their guts. I don't feel like plowing Obama or Oprah Winfrey yet that doesn't mean I don't admire them or that I hate black people subconsciously.

I really don't know what event could have made you so bitter and cynical about people.

I did provide counter arguments but said poster failed to take my views into account. I'm not forcing my opinions on anybody but you cannot deny the fact that judging somebody based on their appearence be it height or skin colour is a discriminatory factor and hence heightism and racism are both one and the same.

This isn't about jumping someone's bones. It's accepting people for who they are. Bitter and cynical? Hardly. I'm putting across my point of view and if you or anybody else can't accept that or don't like it, then by all means avert your eyes or get lost.

I am happy to argue my point. What I am not happy is for my opinions to be blindly ignored and hence what you term as "insults" are simply my means of adding substance to the fact that said individual is ignorant.

Discrimination in ANY form is wrong and it doesn't matter who is doing it. We aren't animals without the brains to comprehend personality. But it would seem a handful of you wish to remain stuck in those ideas.

Thankfully the vast majority of people on this thread disagree with you.
Original post by Lamps08
Hey I know this guy who's 5'4''.....yeh that's right, 2 whole inches taller than you HAHA

Holy crap, you must have a degree in maths or something.
Original post by Krov
Moral values won't help you against biology buddy.

What so every short/disabled/physically handicapped individual is doomed to have less rights than their counterparts?
Reply 107
Original post by Mr.j
My God, another brainless bimbo who is also a heightist and a size-queen.
And people still refuse to believe that women are more shallow than men? Incredible.

Looooooooooooooool!!!! Im sorry I know truth hurts :tongue:
I guess you're short???
I do hope you come back to read this although you're banned!
Original post by Warrior King
I did provide counter arguments but said poster failed to take my views into account. I'm not forcing my opinions on anybody but you cannot deny the fact that judging somebody based on their appearence be it height or skin colour is a discriminatory factor and hence heightism and racism are both one and the same.

This isn't about jumping someone's bones. It's accepting people for who they are. Bitter and cynical? Hardly. I'm putting across my point of view and if you or anybody else can't accept that or don't like it, then by all means avert your eyes or get lost.

I am happy to argue my point. What I am not happy is for my opinions to be blindly ignored and hence what you term as "insults" are simply my means of adding substance to the fact that said individual is ignorant.

Discrimination in ANY form is wrong and it doesn't matter who is doing it. We aren't animals without the brains to comprehend personality. But it would seem a handful of you wish to remain stuck in those ideas.

Look, just try to be courteous even if you disagree with people. Insults never provide substance to anything, they sidetrack debates.

I stand by my initial argument that sexual discrimination is a fact of life we all have to live with, and that attraction cannot be forced, in fact that doing so would be the unfair thing. According to your theory, refusing someone on a date could be a classified as a hate crime. Imagine what kind of society that would create. Like that other guy said, no amount of personal values will stop biology in its tracks. Blaming someone for their preferences is like blaming someone for their height: they can't change it. It's only when a relationship is based on gain and not love that any criticism can be legitimately voiced. Will all due respect, all of this seems obvious to me. Love is unfair, but it's even more unfair to make it fair.

Anyway I don't think any amount of debating will change your opinion, (or mine :biggrin: ) so allow me to provide you with this great one page short story by Kurt Vonnegut as closure:

Harrison Bergeron

regards
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109

Oh and please don't tell me to shut up. Don't act so tough just because you're behind a computer screen.

Well, yes. In all these posts you have proven yourself to be a complete buffoon. When bereft of genuine arguments you resort to petty insults. I mean lambasting someone for their choice of educational institution? Trust me, nothing makes one look more pathetic.

Yes human beings are naturally discriminatory, considering race is the deliberate subjugation and belief that one is superior to another set of individuals. Discrimination and prejudgement are critical part of the human condition that actually assist us with functioning efficiently in day to day life. In the same way many races are attracted solely or mostly to those of similar race. Humans seek comfort in familiarity and hence will seek comfort in those with familiar genetic traits. Height provides for many a sense of "intimidation" and "power", women are attracted to men who appear physically dominating. It provides a sense of protection, protective ability is one of the prime traits women subconsciously look for in a mate.

It is very natural to discriminate as genetic preference itself is discriminatory. Thats just the way the world works, continue living in a liberal bubble. The only one who looks like a tard is you.
Reply 110
What so every short/disabled/physically handicapped individual is doomed to have less rights than their counterparts?

Well it is said that shorter people earn less and disabled and physically handicapped people still dont have access to the same opportunities their able bodied counterparts do.
Original post by black_mamba
Exactly. Good post. :smile:

People are born with certain characteristics that don't change, like height, facial appearance, body shape etc.

There is a way if someone is that bothered about it :
"Become Tall with Height Increasing Surgery
Limb Lengthening Cosmetic Operations is Expensive but Effective"

I'm not even going to argue with you, you're clearly some sort of psychopath. I mean look at your avatar.
Reply 113

You can't force yourself to be attracted to things you dont find attractive... It's like trying to make yourself straight if you are gay, or vice-versa. I myself admit that I find girls from my own race generally far more attractive than girls from most other races.
Original post by Bishamon
Well it is said that shorter people earn less and disabled and physically handicapped people still dont have access to the same opportunities their able bodied counterparts do.

What so that makes it alright and acceptable does it?

Get off your high horse. This isn't about being a liberal it's about giving everybody a fair shot and a fair chance in life.

You're the tard.
Original post by domino0806
I'm not even going to argue with you, you're clearly some sort of psychopath. I mean look at your avatar.

I don't think you even know the meaning of the word psychopath. Also Malcolm X wasn't a psychopath or a racist or whatever you might think. Just look at the countless number of people that admire him and respect him amongst them being Nelson Mandela, Barrack Obama, Michael Jordan I guess they're all psychopaths too?

I'll let you off. You're just some smarmy, snotty nosed little sixth-form brat who think he knows everything about the world. Oh my dear little boy you have an awful lot to learn.....
i'm nearly 5'3, so you'd be about perfect. it's well known most girls would like there guy to be taller, but not essential. and i know for me, i don't like a guy to be too much taller than me :smile: as for what type of girl (bubbly and cute or whatever) just because someone's bubbly and cute doesn't mean they'll necessary like your height, go for a girl you like. if she's worth it she'll like ya back.
Original post by Bishamon
Well, yes. In all these posts you have proven yourself to be a complete buffoon. When bereft of genuine arguments you resort to petty insults. I mean lambasting someone for their choice of educational institution? Trust me, nothing makes one look more pathetic.

Yes human beings are naturally discriminatory, considering race is the deliberate subjugation and belief that one is superior to another set of individuals. Discrimination and prejudgement are critical part of the human condition that actually assist us with functioning efficiently in day to day life. In the same way many races are attracted solely or mostly to those of similar race. Humans seek comfort in familiarity and hence will seek comfort in those with familiar genetic traits. Height provides for many a sense of "intimidation" and "power", women are attracted to men who appear physically dominating. It provides a sense of protection, protective ability is one of the prime traits women subconsciously look for in a mate.

It is very natural to discriminate as genetic preference itself is discriminatory. Thats just the way the world works, continue living in a liberal bubble. The only one who looks like a tard is you.

How sad it is you genuinely believe that. Perhaps in the animal kingdom where animals sole purpose in life is to survive and reproduce in the world this may be the way.

However we as human beings are a bit more complex. We are able to articulate and express ourselve in so many different aways and ultimately it's who we are as people and individuals and our actions that define who we are. Not whether your hair is a certain colour, or how tall or short you are or your race.

And so I'm a tard for saying discrimination is wrong? You must be one of the most pathetic people on the planet if you honestly believe that discrimination against fellow human beings is acceptable.

But what's the point in arguing with a retarded, repulsive and disgusting scumbag like yourself?
Original post by Lovely88
Looooooooooooooool!!!! Im sorry I know truth hurts :tongue:
I guess you're short???
I do hope you come back to read this although you're banned!

As are you, dickhead..hahaha
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
Look, just try to be courteous even if you disagree with people. Insults never provide substance to anything, they sidetrack debates.

I stand by my initial argument that sexual discrimination is a fact of life we all have to live with, and that attraction cannot be forced, in fact that doing so would be the unfair thing. According to your theory, refusing someone on a date could be a classified as a hate crime. Imagine what kind of society that would create. Like that other guy said, no amount of personal values will stop biology in its tracks. Blaming someone for their preferences is like blaming someone for their height: they can't change it. It's only when a relationship is based on gain and not love that any criticism can be legitimately voiced. Will all due respect, all of this seems obvious to me. Love is unfair, but it's even more unfair to make it fair.

Anyway I don't think any amount of debating will change your opinion, (or mine :biggrin: ) so allow me to provide you with this great one page short story by Kurt Vonnegut as closure:

Harrison Bergeron

regards

I am trying the best I can to be courteous but it can only go so far if people will continue to spout ignorant garbage about racism/discrimination being acceptable or inaccurate stereotypes about one of the most influential civil rights/political leaders in American History (possibly world history).

Ladies and Gentlemen;

The vast majority and I judge this by the number of positive reps I have received, totally agree that heightism like other forms of discrimination is totally unacceptable.

Those who disagree well you are just ignorant fools and fail to understand the concept of looking beyond what is in front of you. Frankly I really feel sorry for you people.

To judge someone based on their appearance is no different to judging someone by their race or religion. Discrimination has the same meaning in whatever situation and if it confers an unfair and unecessary disadvantage onto an individual.

I am not going to change my opinion and you won't change yours. However what I will not accept is for people to repeatedly spout ignorant bull**** be it racist, prejudiced etc and get away with it and if you find that rude or offensive then please get lost and do something else with your spare time than read my posts.

Right then people I'd love to continue this debate but there's no point preaching to lost causes and I have a busy night of studying, the Corrie St tram crash and then the big NFL game to watch so I shall bid you all farewell. If you want to discuss any of the issues I have raised here on this thread then send me a private message and I will endeavour to respond and in some cases thrash out the evil and ignorance that festers within your soul.

Other than that, good night.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending