The Student Room Group

This sounds terrible but...

I really need advice on whether to go out on Saturday night with some 'friends'...:eek:

Thing is I've already agreed to go but this was before....

1 . I found out who was going. One of the girls going is really two-faced, she acts nice to my face but I know for a fact she b**tched about me and one of the other girls who's going several times last year ... and it wasn't nice what she said. I haven't confronted her about this and probably won't as I hate confrontations but it still annoys me... a lot.

2. Same said 'friend' from above still owes me about £50 from electric bills, taxi fares etc from living with her last year. Even though she has plenty of money and I've reminded her several times it's always a matter of "I'll give it to you next time you see me." I'm still waiting... I'm also pretty sure it was her who stole £15 of stuff from me when we were moving out of the house we shared last year as stuff of mine 'walked' that was set near the front door as she was packing up her car. I can't prove it but.... :mad:

3. They all drink, I don't anymore. One of the girls doesn't know when to stop drinking and drinks far too much; gets really drunk (to the stage of vomiting) which ruins the night out for everyone else.

4. They haven't asked another girl who was in our class at uni, and who they're all supposed to be 'good friends' with, I found this out this morning when she texted me to ask if I wanted to meet up on Sat and I said why are you not going to **** with us etc. First she had heard about it! Now she is offended and now even though it isn't really anything to do with me I'd feel bad if I went :s-smilie:

5. I'm doing a PhD, I'm working 9-5 everyday reading, planning stuff etc and I live away from home during the week. It doesn't sound like much work but at night and the weekends I just want to curl up on the sofa with family or my boyfriend and relax and unwind - not go out and party. (I know this sounds so unsociable but it's true.)

6.It's a 1 1/2 hour drive away although the weather is supposed to improve and I would be staying overnight...

---------------------------------------------------------------

However of the 4 of us who are going, I get on really well with 2 of them (the girl who invited me and one other girl) so really not sure what to do.

Do I avoid the whole situation? Or just grin and bear it as I like the other two?

I should mention I can't pull a sickie as the last time I was to meet up with some friends (including 2 of the ones I'm supposed to be meeting on Sat) I was actually genuinely sick so it would really suspicious if I pulled a sickie this time...
Reply 1
Say you have to do something for your PhD, they hardly sound like they are worth bothering about anyway, just meet the two ones you do like another time?
Reply 2
I should also mention that a guy who is in the same office as me, knows one of my friends so he would know what I'm doing about the PhD :confused:
Reply 3
Just don't go if you think you'd have an awful time/if you have better things to be doing etc.

meet up with the two you like on their own
Reply 4
Original post by x_Robyn_x
I really need advice on whether to go out on Saturday night with some 'friends'...:eek:

1 . I found out who was going. One of the girls going is really two-faced, she acts nice to my face but I know for a fact she b**tched about me and one of the other girls who's going several times last year ... and it wasn't nice what she said. I haven't confronted her about this and probably won't as I hate confrontations but it still annoys me... a lot.

2. Same said 'friend' from above still owes me about £50 from electric bills, taxi fares etc from living with her last year. Even though she has plenty of money and I've reminded her several times it's always a matter of "I'll give it to you next time you see me." I'm still waiting... I'm also pretty sure it was her who stole £15 of stuff from me when we were moving out of the house we shared last year as stuff of mine 'walked' that was set near the front door as she was packing up her car. I can't prove it but.... :mad:

3. They all drink, I don't anymore. One of the girls doesn't know when to stop drinking and drinks far too much; gets really drunk (to the stage of vomiting) which ruins the night out for everyone else.

4. They haven't asked another girl who was in our class at uni, and who they're all supposed to be 'good friends' with, I found this out this morning when she texted me to ask if I wanted to meet up on Sat and I said why are you not going to **** with us etc. First she had heard about it! Now she is offended and now even though it isn't really anything to do with me I'd feel bad if I went :s-smilie:

5. I'm doing a PhD, I'm working 9-5 everyday reading, planning stuff etc and I live away from home during the week. It doesn't sound like much work but at night and the weekends I just want to curl up on the sofa with family or my boyfriend and relax and unwind - not go out and party. (I know this sounds so unsociable but it's true.)

6.It's a 1 1/2 hour drive away although the weather is supposed to improve and I would be staying overnight...

However of the 4 of us who are going, I get on really well with 2 of them (the girl who invited me and one other girl) so really not sure what to do.

Do I avoid the whole situation? Or just grin and bear it as I like the other two?

I should mention I can't pull a sickie as the last time I was to meet up with some friends (including 2 of the ones I'm supposed to be meeting on Sat) I was actually genuinely sick so it would really suspicious if I pulled a sickie this time...

You've basically just listed 6 perfectly plausible reasons not to go out with them-so don't!
Don't! Why waste your time doing something that you won't enjoy with people that you don't like that much. Just say that you're busy but you could catch a coffee with them in the week or something!
Reply 6
Don't go and get some big blokes to collect your debts for you @_@
Reply 7
You need to get a grip.
Reply 8

This sounds exactly like my old group of friends, I'd just avoid it.
Tell the two nice ones you don't get on with the girl who bitched about you and when you agreed it was because you didn't know she was going.
Reply 9

If you do decide to go, text her beforehand about the money so that she can bring it when you meet. If she still turns up without it, then as soon as you go past a cash point insist that she takes the money out for you there and then.

I think you should go. You said you were good friends with 2 of the people going so you know that you'll enjoy it.
Reply 10

**** these friends!

Do what you wanna do

Just tell them to flip off. Seems like a bad company.
Original post by zKlown
**** these friends!

Do what you wanna do

this right here, damn people get so stressy about what others might think about little things. If YOU don't want to, don't do it, not saying being selfish but put yourself first, do what YOU want.
Reply 13
Really sounds like you'd be dreading it all night.

Like you said, if you'd rather unwind with family/boyfriend, do that! Or meet up with your other good friend.
Reply 14
Original post by Rzc
Really sounds like you'd be dreading it all night.

Like you said, if you'd rather unwind with family/boyfriend, do that! Or meet up with your other good friend.

Yeah I'm dreading it already - like a few of you said I'm going do what I want to do and stuff meeting up with them and meet up with my other friend (who doesn't associate with two-faced theives lol)

Thanks guys x :biggrin:
Yeah I'm dreading it already - like a few of you said I'm going do what I want to do and stuff meeting up with them and meet up with my other friend (who doesn't associate with two-faced theives lol)

Thanks guys x :biggrin:

Looks to me like you answered your own question, OP. Don't do what you hate with people you hate. There's nothing wrong with staying home once in a while, why would you care what drunks think anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending