The Student Room Group

Should I tell him I might have chlamydia?

(TL;DR at bottom.)

So, I recently had sex with a guy. Things got a bit heated and he entered me for ten seconds or so without a condom, then we decided to get a condom.

Then, a guy I was seeing a couple of months back told me he has chlamydia. We'd had unprotected sex twice when I was still on the pill, with him saying he was clean (I know, I'm a ****ing idiot). I'm pretty certain he didn't catch it off me, because I'd only slept with one guy before him who'd been tested all-clear before I went on the pill.

I did a chlamydia test yesterday but obviously the results will be a couple of weeks or so (I think).

So in the meantime, I have two choices. Be straight up with the current guy and tell him I might be infected (and obviously could've infected him)? Or leave it until I get my results back (obviously I'd hold out on sex until then), then if by some crazy chance I'm clean, I can just forget about it?

I know I'm a skank, and I'm worried my new guy will see me that way. I don't want a full-on relationship with him, but I really really like him and he seems to really like me too. So I dunno, if the person you're seeing explained this situation to you, what would you do? Would you think they're a dirty skank? And what would you do in my situation? :frown: I hate myself for being so irresponsible, it could ruin something that's going really well :frown:

TL;DR - had unprotected sex with a guy for about ten seconds, then find out my ex has chlamydia (not from me) - do I tell my new guy now, or wait until I get my results?
Reply 1
I'd wait until you got the results, then tell him, otherwise you could run the risk of ruining something for no reason (although chlamydia's really common, apparently like one in ten young people get it so it's not a massive deal).
If they come back positive, obviously tell them then. It's not like you've definitely given it to him anyway :smile:
Reply 2
Wait until you get the results, no need to worry him about nothing.
Yeah wait
Reply 4
Original post by rugbyladosc
Yeah wait

Agreed. I can't remember the chance of catching chlamydia for men, but it's less than 50%. Just like if you get the flu virus on you... you won't necessarily catch it.
Reply 5
Thanks guys, so annoyed with myself for letting this happen :frown:

So if you were him, and I didn't let you know until I'd got my results and knew for sure I was infected, would you be annoyed with me for not telling you when I knew there was a chance?
But if you wait to get the results, how will you explain your sudden abstinence for a couple of weeks? Just a thought...
Original post by Anonymous

babe, dont beat yourself up about it! everyone makes mistakes just learn from this one and remember always wear one! i think you should wait and find out the results, and then let him know because it could just be a false alarm, hold up on the sex front.. but if it turns out to be positive then sit him down and explain it, its treatable so dont worry too much!
if he's decent he'll accept it and move on :smile:
Having sex with two people does not make you a "skank".
Reply 9
Original post by Pink Bullets
Having sex with two people does not make you a "skank".

Two people in a month, commitment-free, without protection... I sure do feel like a skank.

The guy who possibly gave it to me reckons it's pretty certain I have it, I'm hoping by some chance I've evaded it :frown: really don't wanna ruin things with the new guy :frown:
Definitly wait.
If it comes out positive I think you should start treatment before you tell him.
Reply 11
Original post by Jenny_Jazz
Definitly wait.
If it comes out positive I think you should start treatment before you tell him.

Just got my result back this morning, it's positive :frown: why do you think I should start treatment before I tell him?
Just got my result back this morning, it's positive :frown: why do you think I should start treatment before I tell him?

Sorry to hear that.
Well I just think that if you are in the process of at least tackling it with treatment when you tell him you have a silver lining to your cloud.
Like the rest says wait till you know for sure and if you have then yeah tell him.

Hopefully all fully treated now.

You have to be even more careful in the future.
What alot of women (and men!) forget is you can recatch the chlamydia and gonorrhoea. And the more times you catch it the more likely you will become infertile or develop chronic pelvic problems (pain in particular).
Reply 15
Tell him now you know, pretty disgusting imo that you let him touch you unprotected KNOWING FULL WELL that you may well have an STI
Original post by Astra_K
Tell him now you know, pretty disgusting imo that you let him touch you unprotected KNOWING FULL WELL that you may well have an STI

What part of the post did you get that piece of information from? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest