The Student Room Group

How the fudge do you remember doctor's appointments?!

This is sort of irrelevant, since I've made 3 doctor's appointments in the last 4 years at this surgery and missed them all, so they won't give me another appointment now. As I live in the sticks, they're the only surgery for miles, rendering me doctorless until such time as I move house to a different town. But I'll ask anyway.

How on Earth do you remember to turn up for appointments?

I've tried writing them in a diary (forgot to check the diary), setting an alarm on my phone (when it went off, I had no idea what it was for), writing it on a post-it note on my bedroom door (two days later it fell off and I didn't notice), asking someone to remind me (they refused, which I can't argue with), and now I'm running out of ideas. Same-day appointments are fine. Routine ones made 10 days in advance - no chance. By the time the appointment rolls around, I've forgotten I even made it in the first place.

Right now, like I said, it's irrelevant, and since the problems in question (hacking up a lung after mild exertion and an unrelated lump in my right breast) have been ongoing for 4 years I doubt they're going to kill me! But at some point in my life I presumably am going to have to register with another practice so I can see a doctor. And I'd rather not have to do that every 5 years for the rest of my life because I keep getting barred from surgeries...

Scroll to see replies

Use memory, either your own or in your mobile telephone as a reminder, giving enough time to get there of course.
Reply 2

Were your appointments by any chance to do with getting tested for Alzheimer's?
If they are that important you would remember them. Try taping the piece of paper to your door or blu tacking it.
Fridge magnets, with out them I'd be doomed. :cookie:
Reply 5
Original post by lazy smurf
Use memory, either your own or in your mobile telephone as a reminder, giving enough time to get there of course.

If I could remember the appointments, I wouldn't be in this predicament! Tried setting an alarm on my phone, but like I said, when it went off I had no idea what it was for. I assumed it was just so I didn't sleep in all day.

Original post by IlexBlue

Can't remember.
Who are you, again?
Step 1) Store memory in your brain.

Step 2) Retrieve memory from your brain.

If you're lacking a brain, then it's probably too late to see the doctors anyway.
Original post by IlexBlue

Awesome.

I find writing things on my hand or in a small year diary helps. Failing that set an alarm on your phone. Though, generally when I'm ill, I'm counting down the hours til I get my antidote.

EDIT: When I set an alarm on my phone I do it with my phone calendar ...that way I can set an appointment and write what that appointment is.

OK If you really are that bad, get your MUM to remind you?
(edited 13 years ago)
Big piece of paper with "DOCTOR 3:35PM MONDAY" left lying by your bed or by your alarm clock? Or alternatively, get into the habit of checking your diary every couple of days.
Reply 9
Original post by I<3LAMP
OK If you really are that bad, get your MUM to remind you?

She refused, and I can't blame her - it is my problem, after all, not hers.

My phone doesn't have an option to write what an alarm is for - I'm thinking buying a new bloody phone might be the only way to resolve this. Of course, as I don't carry my phone around with me, I probably won't even hear it when it goes off. *headdesk*

I think this is natural selection in action. If I'm too stupid to remember to turn up to a doctor's appointment, it's a good job I'll die out before I can pass my idiot-genes on.
You honestly can't remember an appointment even if you write it down?

Do you also forget to brush your teeth and wipe your arse? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Write them down on your calendar and get there in good time :/
Reply 12
I say write it out using MS paint and set it as your laptop's wallpaper
:facepalm2:

You just remember. You should make a doctor's appointment to talk about your terrible memory.

Write the time down on your arm in permanent marker.

Also, you're kind of an ass for not going to your appointments. It wastes the doctor's time.
smart phone + google calendar = win
just remember important things, if you really can't then texts, an alarm on the day called doctors(if you can name specific alarms on your phone), post a note on your door, at the computer etc, basically where you will see it. Ask a family member or friend to remind you on the day.
Reply 16
Original post by lazy smurf

This.
Reply 17
Original post by fire2burn
You honestly can't remember an appointment even if you write it down?

Do you also forget to brush your teeth and wipe your arse? :s-smilie:

You do those things every day. In the case of brushing your teeth, you even do them at the exact same time every day.

As you only go to the doctors once every few years, it never occurs to me when I wake up in the morning that today is going to be any different from any other day because I have to go the the surgery at 9:30, or whatever. I just go about doing the same things I do every day.

If I went to the doctor's every morning at 09:10 and every evening at 00:30, like brushing my teeth, I'd be fine.
My mum buys me a calender every Christmas so I rarely miss anything. I thought everyone had calenders haha!
Wow you're a huge fail, it's really not that hard to remember them. :s-smilie:

I have a wall calendar, a diary that's always open on my desk and phone reminders. Tend to remember stuff without these though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending