The Student Room Group

£70k starting salary!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jacktri
no grammar nazis like yourself can solve world spelling problems but making money without any produce or benefit to society is a far more complex problem

Spelling and Grammar are two different language laws in English.
Reply 101
Original post by JakeF
Spelling and Grammar are two different language laws in English.

Grammar Nazi is the collective term it includes the Spelling Nazis just like the term Nazi some how includes all anti semites :s yet it is a political party......
Reply 102
Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
Yeah, buts thats after working at the firm for two years as part of your training contract where you are not likely to earn more than £40,000

No doubt. However, I think you must concede to the fact that no two firms are the same - they vary in generousity...
Reply 103

Your article is dated: Thursday, 18 May 2000
Reply 104
Original post by Jacktri
Grammar Nazi is the collective term it includes the Spelling Nazis just like the term Nazi some how includes all anti semites :s yet it is a political party......

Im glad you believe the term 'Grammar Nazi' is an acceptable term to use. Ill settle with my £70k pa job at 22, safe in the knowledge i have an attention to detail which some perceive as Nazi-like.
The thing i don't get is how you can go into IB with a History degree (or anything other than maths or economics, for that matter)
My brother is on about 60k first year out of uni, working IB with BNP Parisbas. But would it be possible for someone who's doing IR or some other humanities degree to go into a banking line of work, outside of HR etc?
Reply 107
Original post by JakeF
Im glad you believe the term 'Grammar Nazi' is an acceptable term to use. Ill settle with my £70k pa job at 22, safe in the knowledge i have an attention to detail which some perceive as Nazi-like.

Heil, mein Führer
Original post by DorianGrey123
The thing i don't get is how you can go into IB with a History degree (or anything other than maths or economics, for that matter)
My brother is on about 60k first year out of uni, working IB with BNP Parisbas. But would it be possible for someone who's doing IR or some other humanities degree to go into a banking line of work, outside of HR etc?

Because most roles rely on much more than numeracy.
Reply 109
Original post by ilickbatteries
I think the basic gist of this thread is...

Mahoosive salaries are available to UCL/LSE/Oxbridge graduates

BUT

Be prepared to sign your life and soul away to the job...

you don't need to be from Oxbridge or LSE.
btw: every analyst gets the same base, no matter where he/she is from. I am not from the UK, so i don't really get the hype around oxbridge anyways.
IMO: not particularly dumb guys and girls (I have to say, haven't met a complete idiot from there) studying in their little protected village somewhere in the countryside...

fyi: base salary in the citi is around GBP 45,000 pa. + 5-10k sign-on bonus. Without the annual bonus you won't make anywhere close to 70k. Exceptions may be BlackStone, and such.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by Crocker
you don't need to be from Oxbridge or LSE. [UCL (kidding?)].
btw: every analyst gets the same base, no matter where he/she is from. I am not from the UK, so i don't really get the hype around oxbridge anyways.
IMO: not particularly dumb guys and girls (I have to say, haven't met a complete idiot from there) studying in their little protected village somewhere in the countryside...

fyi: base salary in the citi is around GBP 45,000 pa. + 5-10k sign-on bonus. Without the annual bonus you won't make anywhere close to 70k. Exceptions may be BlackStone, and such.

Is that a dig at UCL?

In a crude comparison, you'd probably find the average salary of a UCL grad in the last 4-5y is not much different from an Oxbridge grad with the same timeframe.
Unlikely.
Reply 112
Original post by JakeF
Is that a dig at UCL?

In a crude comparison, you'd probably find the average salary of a UCL grad in the last 4-5y is not much different from an Oxbridge grad with the same timeframe.

that's prob. right - a degree from oxbridge will not have an effect on the starting salary of an IB. It's the same for everybody within the same bank and division.
Reply 113
Original post by BrainFactory
Unlikely.

And you, as an A Level student, would know better?

Didnt you know that the Oxbridge lifestyle and work ethic pushes many into academia. In fact, its only a small percentage of Oxbridge grads that head into high paying private sector jobs. But of course, your A Levels Career Service wouldnt have told you important things like that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by JakeF
And you, as an A Level student, would know better?

Didnt you know that the Oxbridge lifestyle and work ethic pushes many into academia. In fact, its only a small percentage of Oxbridge grads that head into high paying private sector jobs. But of course, your A Levels Career Service wouldnt have told you important things like that.

Source? Not disputing you (well, not just yet...), I'm interested.
Original post by JW
Source? Not disputing you (well, not just yet...), I'm interested.

Yeah, I'm interested in source as well.

From unistats website regarding Oxford. The course with the lowest number from "employed with grad job" is theology @ 70%. With the average employed stat being around 75%-85%.

Since we're talking about IB, management and economics both have 90% employment rates from Oxford. Leads me to believe the complete opposite than what was said.
Original post by adam0311

From unistats website regarding Oxford. The course with the lowest number from "employed with grad job" is theology @ 70%. With the average employed stat being around 75%-85%.

Since we're talking about IB, management and economics both have 90% employment rates from Oxford. Leads me to believe the complete opposite than what was said.

Are you suggesting being a professor isn't employment?

I certainly second Jake's views, most people here (Ox- or -bridge) don't seem to plan on going into banking. Civil Service, academia, etc... much higher up....
Original post by DerPumuckl

I certainly second Jake's views, most people here (Ox- or -bridge) don't seem to plan on going into banking. Civil Service, academia, etc... much higher up....

Professor with only an undergrad? Unistats' published number is based off of employment with in 6 months. Doubt you could snag a grad degree within 6 months.

Look, I'm not denying that Oxbridge grads go into academia. Higher rates than any other uni. But I think saying that only a small amount of people go into the private industry just isn't 100 percent accurate.
I still can't get my head around why anyone in the City earning £70k at 22/23 (read long hours and obligatory social life) would have the time or inclination to:

- Be on here to affirm their own self-worth;
- To boast about earnings when we all know how highly paid the industry is;
- And finally argue on internet forums.
Reply 119
Original post by adam0311

Im pretty sure that in most cases, figures on graduate employment include 'further academia' within 'employed' instead of unemployed and unknown (unless explicitly stated).

Original post by DerPumuckl

Only a small percentage of graduates from any university (exc. LSE) go on to banking or consultancy, including Oxbridge. Last figures i read in a broadsheet a few months ago were around 6-7% from Oxbridge going into the said employments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending