The Student Room Group

Jay Sean not recieving credit due to ignorant British in denial?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i just think its cos he's working on his profile more in the US than here atm and i actually LOVEEE him :smile:
Belle and Sebastian, PJ Harvey, The Coral, Roots Manuva, Tricky not receiving credit due to musically ignorant British believing some manufactured pop act is due more credit just for being Asian?
if he wants to go and join YM and leave the UK of course we're not gonna hear about him
come to west london and there is not one single person who doesn't know jay sean, go westend clubs and u will see ppl going crazy over his songs, 2012, down, ride it..OP i dont think it's anythin to do with his ethnicity, he is not very popluar here coz he is too busy jammin with cash money (young money whatever it is lol):P good for him tho coz he is havin the time of his life, and can i just say I don't like him as much as i did before, his “dance with you” and “got my eyes on you” daysss were so much better than “even if da sky is falling down” :smile: :P
Reply 44
Theres nothing special or original about him anyway, he's just another RnB guy who gets a rapper on his songs..yawn!
Reply 45
Jay Who ??
Nothing to do with his indian heritage!
Plenty of acts don't get the recognition they might deserve.
Reply 47
I've always said and I say this again. Asians will never get accepted in the UK, weather your a doctor, singer or done something for a good cause you will never be recognised. This is the UK after all and the Brits see Asians as "backward" and treat them as 2nd class citizens.
Original post by ajtiesto
I've always said and I say this again. Asians will never get accepted in the UK, weather your a doctor, singer or done something for a good cause you will never be recognised. This is the UK after all and the Brits see Asians as "backward" and treat them as 2nd class citizens.

I think most asians see their culture as backwards, thats why they want to live in white countries.
Original post by sak-y
err JLS anyone? Your reasoning is slightly lacking.

Exactly

As for "most successful male UK import in the USA since Elton john" got anything to back that up?
I've heard a few of his songs from a few years ago but I didn't think they were that good, didn't know he was that popular.
Original post by Colbert
No ethnic minorities have or will ever have #1 records in this country :no:

What? Dizzee Rascal? Beyonce? I'm pretty sure they've had number ones.. and many more.

OP: I think you mean stigma. Astigmatism is an eye condition.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think it has anything to do with his race or ethnicity. They've been PLENTY successful non-White artists in Britain who have achieved number 1 hits. I guess there just isn't much interest in Jay Sean outside the British Asians community in the Uk.
Reply 52
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
What? Dizzee Rascal? Beyonce? I'm pretty sure they've had number ones.. and many more.

OP: I think you mean stigma. Astigmatism is an eye condition.

Beyonce is not from the UK.

Dizzie Rascal has never had a number 1 in the billboards (US Charts).
Reply 53
How can you say that when there have been loads of Black artists who have had success over here? I personally don't like Jay Sean's music, not because he's Indian but because it's really generic and uninspired (and before you assume i'm some "emo" i like ALL types of music including Rnb but i like songs that stick in your mind-for example Beyonce, Lady Gaga-whereas Jay Seans music is just really boring imo.) Like others have said, he spends most of his time in the US and doesn't do much promotion here which is why he's not as popular as other artists. Simple really, stop looking for a problem when there is none.
Original post by Prikstera
Beyonce is not from the UK.

Dizzie Rascal has never had a number 1 in the billboards (US Charts).

I know she's not, but that person (was it you?) said an ethnic minority has never topped the UK charts. Whether she is from here or not isn't the question, plus I think dizzee rascal has been number one here?
Reply 55
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
I know she's not, but that person (was it you?) said an ethnic minority has never topped the UK charts. Whether she is from here or not isn't the question, plus I think dizzee rascal has been number one here?

Wasn't me mate but I saw that ignorant post.

Dizzee Rascal has had a lot of number ones in the UK, but I believe the OP was trying to say that Jay Sean went from the UK and got a number 1 in the USA an impressive feat.

If you think about it Jay Sean got the opportunites from the female artists before like Leona Lewis.

On the other hand he paved the way for Taio Cruz, another artist from UK. He has had as much acclaim as Jay Sean in the UK.

The future in the USA is bright from the UK, Tinie Tempah, Tinchy Strider, N-Dubz a few of those artists will make it.

Jay Sean you could say paved the way and in the future will be recognised for that as UK artists continue to build there.
Original post by Jingers
It's because he's doing stuff over there and not here right now...

Also, why should I care about what another person's doing? If they're doing well, that's great, but I really don't see why I should be proud... they're his achievements. I'm not going to eat off his plate...

Cool somebody else who watches Grindtime. Prefer King of the Dot at the moment seen as GT is releasing complete and utter **** between Grizzlemania battles.
Reply 57
Maybe it's just because of the audience he appeals to?
Elton John has a wider listening base and is supported by a lot of older people.
Jay Sean is a little more niche.
Original post by ajtiesto

I know because the UK had a MASSIVE problem embracing Freddy Mercury, didn't we :rolleyes: It's not like one of the most famous British musical icons ever was of Asian heritage.
Reply 59
Who now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending