The Student Room Group

Multiple tangents

The question asks,

Find all tangents to the curve f(x)=x2+3x+3f( x)=x^2+3x+3 which go through the point (1,2)(1,-2).

This is what I've done so far,

f(x)=2x+3f'( x)=2x+3

Gradient of tangest when x=1x=1 is,

m=2(1)+3m=2(1)+3

m=5m=5

Equation of tangest is therefore,

yy1=m(xx1)y-y_1=m(x-x_1)

y(2)=5(x1)y-(-2)=5(x-1)

y+2=5x5y+2=5x-5

y=5x7y=5x-7

That's the equation for one of the tangents, but I understand that there's another tangent to the curve, as the point (2,1) is 'below' the curve and as a result, there's a sort of a triangular shape which the two tangents create.

How would I go about finding the other tangent?

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
f'(x) is wrong
Original post by volts
f'(x) is wrong

Sorry, that was a typo. I've edited it now.
Reply 3
The point (1,-2) doesn't lie on f(x). I think you assume it does.
Original post by volts
The point (1,-2) doesn't lie on f(x). I think you assume it does.

The point (1,2)(1,-2) lies on the tangents, not on the curve f(x)f( x).

So in other wording, it's two tangents to the curve f(x)f( x) which intersect at the point (1,2)(1,-2)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hollywoodbudgie

So in other wording, it's two tangents to the curve f(x)f( x) which intersect at the point (1,2)(1,-2)

So why have you evaluated f'(1)?
Also, 5x-7 = f(x) has no real solution
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by volts
So why have you evaluated f'(1)?

Because I don't know how to work this out, hence I made this thread to ask for help.
Reply 7

You know that the tangent passes through (1,-2). However, you also know that at the tangent crosses the parabola. So what I would do is find the possible coordinates which lies on the parabola. To do this note that the y coordinate at x1 is x1^+3*x1+3. Now using the formula for the equation of a line with only one point given you get an expression for the possible tangents. You know that the tangents must pass through 1,-2 so substitute these values in for x and y (not x1 and y1). Solve the resulting quadratic equation and you have found the x coordinates which satisfy the conditions given in the question. I'll leave the rest to you
anshul95
note that the y coordinate at x1 is x1^+3*x1+3.

Did that equation come out right, I don't particularly understand what the bolded symbol means, '^'. Would it be possible for you to write that out a little clearer please?

Thanks.
Reply 9
The gradient of the tangent at a point (c,f(c))(c, f(c)) is given by f(c)f'(c). So, the equation of a tangent that goes through the point (a,b)(a,b) and has gradient f(c)f'(c) is yb=f(c)(xa)y-b = f'(c)(x-a). But you also want the point (c,f(c))(c, f(c)) to lie on the line, and so you must have f(c)b=f(c)(ca)f(c)-b = f'(c)(c-a). Solve this for cc to find the xx-values where the tangent of the curve goes through the point. [You have to work out what to use for a,b by the way.]
It's 2 tangents which happen to pass through (1, -2). Doesn't mean they touch the curve at this point. They can pass through (1, -2) yet touch the curve elsewhere.

Tangent: y = mx + c; (1, -2) satisfies this
=> -2 = m + c => c = -2 - m
=> y = mx - (m+2)

Since the tangents touch the curve:
mx - (m+2) = x^2 + 3x + 3
=> x^2 + (3 - m)x + (5 + m) = 0

Tangent => Discrim = 0
=> (3 - m)^2 - 4(m + 5) = 0
=> 9 - 6m + m^2 - 4m - 20 = 0
=> m^2 - 10m - 11 = 0
=> (m + 1)(m - 11) = 0
=> m = 11, m = -1

Sub m = 11, m = - 1 into y = mx - (m+2) to get y = 11x - 13 and y = -x - 1.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
It's 2 tangents which happen to pass through (1, -2). Doesn't mean they touch the curve at this point. They can pass through (1, -2) yet touch the curve elsewhere.

Tangent: y = mx + c; (1, -2) satisfies this
=> -2 = m + c => c = -2 - m
=> y = mx - (m+2)

Since the tangents touch the curve:
mx - (m+2) = x^2 + 3x + 3
=> x^2 + (3 - m)x + (5 + m) = 0

Tangent => Discrim = 0
=> (3 - m)^2 - 4(m + 5) = 0
=> 9 - 6m + m^2 - 4m - 20 = 0
=> m^2 - 10m - 11 = 0
=> (m + 1)(m - 11) = 0
=> m = 11, m = -1

Sub m = 11, m = - 1 into y = mx - (m+2) to get y = 11x - 13 and y = -x - 1.

Thank you
Thank you

No worries. If it's any consolation, I didn't have a clue what some of the other posters were on about either. Not sure why people make Maths harder than it has to be; it's already hard enough by itself. :smile:
Original post by Physics Enemy
No worries. If it's any consolation, I didn't have a clue what some of the other posters were on about either. Not sure why people make Maths harder than it has to be; it's already hard enough by itself. :smile:

This relates to me more than you could possibly imagine. :wink2:
Reply 14
This relates to me more than you could possibly imagine. :wink2:

Sorry if we confused you. Some of us just did it another way.
Original post by anshul95
Sorry if we confused you. Some of us just did it another way.

:hugs: Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest