The Student Room Group

Social Networking sites

Hi,

I had myspace before it was "cool" as I had facebook before it was "cool". Deleted myspace AGES ago and Haven't had facebook for about 2 years now.

I'm now quite struck by how engraved "Facebook" had become part of popular culture. I quite vividly remember when social networking sites were both perceived and were the refuge of the socially desperate, yet subtley egotistical minority of society. Now I'm concerned that social networking sites are the temple of the socially desperate, yet blaitantly egotistical majority of modern society.

How plain do you have to be to be on Facebook? You're there (regardless of little you are online, regardless of how few times you update your "status") - to promote yourself.

This all a platform once left to the remotely famous, most often - most interesting people on the planet as dictated by the masses (That is still you).

No, instead you feed the corperate mantra, and feed their greed by simply loading facebook with it's sponsored ad's - all whilst whoring your very existence to a cache of google proportions.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Looks like someone doesnt have many facebook friends.

"youre there to promote yourself"
Well.. no not really, what a stupid and misguided statement.
What is it with all your rubbish use of fancy words, trying to act like you know something when ion reality you are putting these words together and the sentences are making no sense.

Original post by Webernets

No, instead you feed the corperate mantra, and feed their greed by simply loading facebook with it's sponsored ad's - all whilst whoring your very existence to a cache of google proportions.

What? By going on facebook we 'feed the corporate mantra? and feed their greed by looking at ads?
What kind of fool do you have to be. For one.. ad's are there to sustain the company, to give equity to the business so they can continue to run the servers, make updates, pay staff etc. It doesnt take a genius to realise that the whole reason a website puts ad's on it is to give it a source of income.. jeez.

I go on facebook to connect to old friends
to share good times with new friends and old
to discuss things with course mates, arrange times to meet up etc
to message my family and catch up with them when i dont have the time or ability to phone them.

You are literally the saddest person i have ever seen on TSR, congratulations..
How AWESOME are you for not having facebook for two years? Well done.. your literally a HERO for going against the mass media and what everyone tells you to do!!!1!1!1

Facebook, and other social networking sites, are all part of the technological advancements in society.
How about i laugh at you for having a phone, because people coped without phones.. they actually had to meet up with eachother, but now you followed the masses and got a mobile phone thus becoming a 'plain' person because of it? Idiot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tommyjw
Looks like someone doesnt have many facebook friends.

"youre there to promote yourself"
Well.. no not really, what a stupid and misguided statement.
What is it with all your rubbish use of fancy words, trying to act like you know something when ion reality you are putting these words together and the sentences are making no sense.

What? By going on facebook we 'feed the corporate mantra? and feed their greed by looking at ads?
What kind of fool do you have to be. For one.. ad's are there to sustain the company, to give equity to the business so they can continue to run the servers, make updates, pay staff etc. It doesnt take a genius to realise that the whole reason a website puts ad's on it is to give it a source of income.. jeez.

I go on facebook to connect to old friends
to share good times with new friends and old
to discuss things with course mates, arrange times to meet up etc
to message my family and catch up with them when i dont have the time or ability to phone them.

You are literally the saddest person i have ever seen on TSR, congratulations..
How AWESOME are you for not having facebook for two years? Well done.. your literally a HERO for going against the mass media and what everyone tells you to do!!!1!1!1

Facebook, and other social networking sites, are all part of the technological advancements in society.
How about i laugh at you for having a phone, because people coped without phones.. they actually had to meet up with eachother, but now you followed the masses and got a mobile phone thus becoming a 'plain' person because of it? Idiot.

I was going to reply...but you summed up my exact response, and much more eloquently than I would have done. Well done to you - big gold star.
Reply 3
Social "networking" is a bit of a misleading term because most people use facebook to keep in touch with their friends, not to meet new people (ie. network). If it were a networking site then your profile would indeed be an advertisement of yourself, but it's not...
I don't have facebook, I did about 3 years ago. I don't really see the problem with it, it's a good way of communicating and very quick for stuff like group invites to events and keeping updated with all the latest news in whatever.

My only concern is the risk of people living their whole lives in a virtual world and spending majority of their time on it. I'm still very much a person who'd rather go out and meet my friends at the cinema and do outdoors-y stuff than spend a few hours having a chat with them on msn/facebook.
Facebook is a tool to keep up with friends and have them all in a single, easily accessible website. Providing you do not waste your life away on farmville then you're not plain if you use it. People who pretend to care less about fads and what society thinks of them are actually the ones who want the most attention and are the most insecure.
Reply 6
Original post by Panda Vinnie
I don't have facebook, I did about 3 years ago. I don't really see the problem with it, it's a good way of communicating and very quick for stuff like group invites to events and keeping updated with all the latest news in whatever.

My only concern is the risk of people living their whole lives in a virtual world and spending majority of their time on it. I'm still very much a person who'd rather go out and meet my friends at the cinema and do outdoors-y stuff than spend a few hours having a chat with them on msn/facebook.

If that ever does become a serious issue, then it will be the x-box online gaming community that will be responsible, not facebook. Facebook is just a fancier version of email. Apparently some people prefer to meet their friends online and pretend to be little soldiers, rather than going and having a kick around in the park/ pint in the pub. Can't see the appeal myself, but there you go.
Reply 7
Hi,

I had myspace before it was "cool" as I had facebook before it was "cool". Deleted myspace AGES ago and Haven't had facebook for about 2 years now.

wowzzzz ur so underground, i bet u listen to bands that don't even exist yet
Reply 8
I don't have Facebook and never have done, but i think you're being a bit judgemental tbh. Most people use it to keep in touch with old friends etc, there are some people who probably do use it to promote themselves (models, musicians etc) but isn't that a good thing that technology can help them advance their careers?
Reply 9
Are you one of those people who will neg me if I say only losers don't have facebook, because you yourself are a loser and don't wish to accept this fact as being true, so instead of accepting it lash out in an animalistic way, stating some half arsed comment which attempts to portray you as being some sort of popular alternative rebel (you know the things I'm talking about; "omg how sad are you thinking its cool to have facebook, you can not have facebook and still be cool")? Because let's face it, objectionably, if you are at university (hence normal uni age), and you don't have facebook, you are hardly going to be mr. popular are you? It's like not having a mobile phone. I'm just stating facts here, not opinions, so please GTFO before you start raping me, as I agree that this social norm is silly, but its one of those if you cant beat em join em things. kthnxbai
Reply 10
Original post by edd360
Are you one of those people who will neg me if I say only losers don't have facebook, because you yourself are a loser and don't wish to accept this fact as being true, so instead of accepting it lash out in an animalistic way, stating some half arsed comment which attempts to portray you as being some sort of popular alternative rebel (you know the things I'm talking about; "omg how sad are you thinking its cool to have facebook, you can not have facebook and still be cool")? Because let's face it, objectionably, if you are at university (hence normal uni age), and you don't have facebook, you are hardly going to be mr. popular are you? It's like not having a mobile phone. I'm just stating facts here, not opinions, so please GTFO before you start raping me, as I agree that this social norm is silly, but its one of those if you cant beat em join em things. kthnxbai

I'm not at university, I'm in full time employment.

Ok, thanks - bye.
Reply 11

Ok, thanks - bye.

Ok, so why are you here on a student forum? Don't try and make me look stupid just because I assumed (with good reason) that people here are of that age (<23). Unless you are of that age, but are in full time employment instead of studying, in which case you are just attempting to be a smart arse...
Reply 12

Ok, thanks - bye.

Fail at you for not being able to reply to an arguement.
Reply 13
Original post by edd360
Ok, so why are you here on a student forum? Don't try and make me look stupid just because I assumed (with good reason) that people here are of that age (<23). Unless you are of that age, but are in full time employment instead of studying, in which case you are just attempting to be a smart arse...

I'm 19, in a line of work (Commuinty Care work) that lines me up in perfect stead as advised by Police recruitment officials during my time as a Police Cadet, for a career as a Police Officer. Degrees, being the consumer items they have become are not the posession of the intellectual, more often the tokens of the air head smart arse you speak of.
Reply 14
I'm 19, in a line of work (Commuinty Care work) that lines me up in perfect stead as advised by Police recruitment officials during my time as a Police Cadet, for a career as a Police Officer. Degrees, being the consumer items they have become are not the posession of the intellectual, more often the tokens of the air head smart arse you speak of.

Well done for thinking police officers earn more than people with degrees will :L
What a stupid view you have, no wonder you didnt do a degree :wink:

Not long now!
Reply 16

Normally I would make the effort to formulate a decent reply, but I think this deserves a:

Reply 17
Original post by Tommyjw
Well done for thinking police officers earn more than people with degrees will :L
What a stupid view you have, no wonder you didnt do a degree :wink:

I don't want to earn more than I could make genuine use of. What makes you think the endgame is a number preceding a "£"? How pathetic do you have to be to live for that, when chances are (Being an inexperienced graduate), your first and long-term port of call will be the dole queue?
Reply 18
Original post by edd360

How is it a fact that people who don't have social networking are losers with no friends? I don't have Facebook, not because i'm trying to be "alternative" or because i have no friends, but because it's not something that has particularly interested me in the past. My friends tell me to join, and i daresay that i will at some point (because it does seem like a good way to keep in touch with people who i don't see on a day to day basis anymore) but i think people are putting a bit too much emphasis on it if Facebook is the indicator of someone's social status/popularity.
Reply 19
I don't want to earn more than I could make genuine use of. What makes you think the endgame is a number preceding a "£"? How pathetic do you have to be to live for that, when chances are (Being an inexperience graduate), your first and long-term port of call will be the dole queue?

Inexperienced?
I will of worked part time for 6 years.
I would of volunteer'd throughout those 6 years, very regularly.
I would of had a year work placement, paid of around 16-25k in a very relevant job.

Your going to call me inexperienced? Idiot.
I will come out of uni with a better paying job than you, a job which i love in an industry which i am passionate about.
So you can say degrees are useless, for whatever reason, but your wrong (:

I mentioned money because there is no other criteria you can say degrees are rubbish.

You call degrees 'consumer items' yet give no reason why? The only reason why is because they may not provide someone with such a high paying job that they used to .. but they do, thus this point is invalid.. and you have no other points.

You fail at arguing. You ignored my first main post because you had no real arguments, and that point stands here too.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending