The Student Room Group

AS English Lit. Coursework

Hi

We were just handed our coursework's question, and the question I choose is:

How far would you agree that Wilde is more sympathetic towards women and their lack of agency than Dickens?

We're doing 'A Woman of No Importance' by Oscar Wilde and 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens. Im just abit confused as to how to layout my essay, and to back-up my points, since those 2 are most important to get a good grade.
So if anyone has recently done English Lit. coursework, can you please give me a few pointers?

Thanks

Maheen
Reply 1
Original post by maheen17
Hi

We were just handed our coursework's question, and the question I choose is:

How far would you agree that Wilde is more sympathetic towards women and their lack of agency than Dickens?

We're doing 'A Woman of No Importance' by Oscar Wilde and 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens. Im just abit confused as to how to layout my essay, and to back-up my points, since those 2 are most important to get a good grade.
So if anyone has recently done English Lit. coursework, can you please give me a few pointers?

Thanks

Maheen

The best advice I can give to you is to keep to-and-froing between the texts, constantly comparing and contrasting.

Can I ask, what do you mean by "their lack of agency"?

I would also avoid directly asking a question in your introduction. It is important that you pose a secondary question but if you can phrase it without actually using a question-mark, that is apparently better.
Reply 2
Original post by booksnob
The best advice I can give to you is to keep to-and-froing between the texts, constantly comparing and contrasting.

Can I ask, what do you mean by "their lack of agency"?

I would also avoid directly asking a question in your introduction. It is important that you pose a secondary question but if you can phrase it without actually using a question-mark, that is apparently better.

Okay, thanks.

And "lack of agency" means the limitations that are set on the women in the Victorian Era, and how they were unable to do much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending