The Student Room Group

Poorer students will now get 2 free years uni. another attack on middle income family

Scroll to see replies

Original post by win5ton
This has got nothing to do with families (and you are making some hideously naive comments to do with middle income families). The coalition have said that you will only start to pay off your debt when you are earning 21,000. So why should anyone have some of their debt paid when they are apparently earning enough to start to pay off their debt?

it might act as a further deterrent in case it doesn't work out, and they don't have the safety net most people from middle class family will have...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by morecambebay
It has everything to do with your parents, their income and your background. As shown by the article, the gap grows and grows. Because you are not from a poor family your attainment is much higher than it would have been if you were...and the difference increases with education. You are more able to succeed because of your background.

Statistically, (because thats what is used- statistics) you will not be out done by somebody from a poor family.

:smile:You are totally right, people from middle income and richer families have a huge head start in terms of life opportunities, including education, also health. For a child from a poverty stricken family to get to the point where they are in a position to even contemplate going to university is a triumph over adversity, making it a bit easier for them fianncially is fair morally and economically.
Reply 182
Why should the help I get be based on how my parents lives have panned out financially?

Why does the SLC & Government assume I will get help from them if they earn so much?

Why isn't everyone given the same amount ? After all we are a country fighting for equality so we should all have the same help

Why is parents income even taken into consideration at the age of 18+ ? Surely you are an adult and therefore are an independent.

Why is money being wasted elsewhere instead of it being used to educate the future of Britain? I.e. Vodafone let off £6bn tax bill, Topman let off tax bill, £8bn in aid to Ireland, Billions in foreign aid which are either going to corrupt governments or used to better their systems when it should be ours as its our money.

Why are the politicians proposing such things allowed a free education yet now they want to stop the young of today from the same entitlement?

-These are the questions that should be asked to those political bigots.
Reply 183
Original post by Mann18
Isn't it awful? Imagine, people being asked to help others. You do realise that the same people that are being helped may one day be your doctor, and they wouldn't have chosen that career path had they not recieved help?

It should be MY choice whether I want to help people or not - I shouldn't have that choice taken from me. Lol if you won't consider that path unless you have handouts, then that says an awful lot about you...

Well this is just insane. Logically, very few people choose what pay they recieve, otherwise, everyone would be trillionaires.

I assume you mean "people can work hard and then they get a better income?"
OK, so then people who go to war, and have a leg blown off, have sort of chosen to become disabled. Indirectly, like the income, but a choice that led to something nevertheless.
That's completely different. If someone is injured in an accident, then it isn't their fault. Yes, they knew there were dangers, so I do see what you're saying. However, with a blown off leg, you can sit on a chair. You can operate a computer. Therefore, you do not need state handouts long term. Thus, our hypothetical soldior can help himself. Much like someone living off state handouts can (unless they are severely disabled, e.g paraplegic).

The doctor thing. It's not just the individual that suffers.

There's plenty more.

The field is not even at the start of the game, to then right it and claim that the score is correct is insane.

Explain?
Reply 184
Original post by jb9191
Why should the help I get be based on how my parents lives have panned out financially?

Because it is parents who will help people financially with university if they were able to, hence why people who have more money for the most part get stuff paid for them at uni (i said for the most part, dont need no moaning at me)

Why does the SLC & Government assume I will get help from them if they earn so much?

Because for the most part people do, just because YOU dont doesnt mean the government should stop all plans just to cater for you, the things they propose help most people, not all, it is impossible to help all.

Why isn't everyone given the same amount ? After all we are a country fighting for equality so we should all have the same help

Ok, so everyone gets the same pay at their job and suhc, because thats equality too right? :facepalm:

Why is parents income even taken into consideration at the age of 18+ ? Surely you are an adult and therefore are an independent.

Because people who go in to university mostly wont have full time jobs, and any part time jobs they have wont be very beneficial to helping towards university. I still lived with my parents after i turned 18 tili moved to uni. As a very very high percentage of students do. Thus you are living with them, thus you are still their responsibility and they are your parents.. they will help you.. in general.. with university costs.
Why is money being wasted elsewhere instead of it being used to educate the future of Britain? I.e. Vodafone let off £6bn tax bill, Topman let off tax bill, £8bn in aid to Ireland, Billions in foreign aid which are either going to corrupt governments or used to better their systems when it should be ours as its our money.

Why are the politicians proposing such things allowed a free education yet now they want to stop the young of today from the same entitlement?

What? So now your moaning at the government for not giving us free university education? ... :Facepalm:

-These are the questions that should be asked to those political bigots.

Silly post.
Reply 185
Original post by Lewroll
You lose out? Oh poor you? Please enlighten us as to what you are missing out on? I'm sure we will all feel your pain. Curse that bloody government, helping all those poor people when there are all these middle class people in much more need of their help.

-40 and 50% tax rates.
-No EMA
-No Child Benefit (from 2013)
-No free textbooks

Just a few things where the middle classes are penalised. I'm not saying everyone should get EMA or whatever, just showing examples of where we lose out.

Also, with this new procedure, the people who get 2 free years will essentially get uni at the same price as before. Middle and Upper Class people will have our fees trippled. Blatant discrimination!

Because if everyone paid the same fees, then all the poorer students (many of whom will be smarter than you) wont be able to go to university. A university for the rich doesnt sound like a very attractive place does it (well it probably does to you).

Student loans? Maintainance grants? Hardship funds?
It's not just about the money though right, it would surely act as an incentive to get more working class kids into higher education? isn't that the main aim?
Reply 187
Original post by Tabers
Yes but there are many other things which are more important than my tuition fees. They have to pay for mortgages and pay off cards and stuff after bringing me up and they still have to pay for everything for my brother. They see it as I'm an adult so then it is my responsibility.

My parents pay my fees and they don't earn that much. My dad earns £50k a year, which is a good wage but it doesn't go that far (it's not like surgeons on £100k p.a.) and my mum only works part-time. It's about priorities - your parents chose a bigger house (if they're still paying off their mortgage then they bought above their means) over giving you the best head-start in life they could afford.
The government keeps telling us we don't have to "fork out" or "reach into our back pocket" for these fee rises yet they are going to be helping out the poorest kids. Now, if it's not going to affect us, these fees, until after university, they'll be exactly the same as (most of) us. So what's the point when they'll be paying them off the same uni fees at the same time as us - after earning £15,000 pa just like the rest?
Reply 189
If middle and upper class families are getting more help from home for their fees, why are they all taking these massive loans that they are going to have to pay off later on in life? I don't see why your background should penalise you when you are a fully grown adult. Why did I pay 9k for my degree, when someone with a single parent down the road paid nothing? Perhaps if my family weren't burdened with taxes to pay for other peoples children to go to university they could have paid it off.
Original post by .Ali.
-40 and 50% tax rates.
-No EMA
-No Child Benefit (from 2013)
-No free textbooks

Just a few things where the middle classes are penalised. I'm not saying everyone should get EMA or whatever, just showing examples of where we lose out.

Also, with this new procedure, the people who get 2 free years will essentially get uni at the same price as before. Middle and Upper Class people will have our fees trippled. Blatant discrimination!

Student loans? Maintainance grants? Hardship funds?

Large fees will put many poor students off uni regardless of the help availiable. They are probably afraid of having huge debts and remaining poor. The amount of low income students in university in the past proves this point.

Upper class people will be able to pay off any fee realistically. Middle class people will be in the same boat. However middle income families will have more problems. From reading your past posts I could make a pretty good guess at saying that you arent middle income. Amiright?

As for EMA (which is being killed btw) and free textbooks, its obvious to see why a poor student would need these things whereas another student wouldnt.

There arent enough poor students going to university. This figure needs to be increased.
Original post by Elipsis
Perhaps if my family weren't burdened with taxes to pay for other peoples children to go to university they could have paid it off.

I hope you are not naive enough to suggest taxes would be lower if we had a fully independent university system.
Reply 192
Original post by Lewroll
Large fees will put many poor students off uni regardless of the help availiable. They are probably afraid of having huge debts and remaining poor. The amount of low income students in university in the past proves this point.
Well I have to have debts too. Yes, my parents will assist me, but I'll still have to pay some of it. I'll still have debts. If you can't see the long term benefits, then frankly, maybe you shouldn't be at uni.

Upper class people will be able to pay off any fee realistically. Middle class people will be in the same boat. However middle income families will have more problems. From reading your past posts I could make a pretty good guess at saying that you arent middle income. Amiright?
maybe so, but it shouldn't cost more for the same thing! Lol yes I am middle income.

As for EMA (which is being killed btw) and free textbooks, its obvious to see why a poor student would need these things whereas another student wouldnt.
And if people were responsible with money in the first place, they wouldn't rely on the taxpayer.

There arent enough poor students going to university. This figure needs to be increased.

Lol no we don't. We need the best students, be they working, middle, or upper class. When you impose quotas, or try to increase figures, that's when posetive discrimination starts, and that's wrong.
Original post by .Ali.
And if people were responsible with money in the first place, they wouldn't rely on the taxpayer.

Right, so you have just said that everyone who is poor only has themselves to blame? :rolleyes:
Reply 194
Original post by WelshBluebird
I hope you are not naive enough to suggest taxes would be lower if we had a fully independent university system.

It doesn't make any sense that any of my parents taxes should go towards others when they cannot afford to pay for me...
Reply 195
Right, so you have just said that everyone who is poor only has themselves to blame? :rolleyes:

Not everyone, a lot of people though, yes.

If they saved or invested some money for 'a rainy day' so to speak, maybe they would have something to tide them over when they need it?
Reply 196
Original post by bananaterracottapie
it might act as a further deterrent in case it doesn't work out, and they don't have the safety net most people from middle class family will have...

That makes no sense what so ever.
Original post by Elipsis
It doesn't make any sense that any of my parents taxes should go towards others when they cannot afford to pay for me...

There are two meanings of "cannot afford".

There is they are earning such a low wage that they physically cannot afford to pay for something, no matter what they do.

And there are people who have money, but choose to spend it on other things, thus they cannot afford to pay for something else.

I suspect your parents are in the second group if you don't get EMA.

Original post by .Ali.
Not everyone, a lot of people though, yes.

If they saved or invested some money for 'a rainy day' so to speak, maybe they would have something to tide them over when they need it?

And what about those who cannot afford to save or invest money? Or perhaps those who had saved money but then had to use it to pay for something that is more important? (like food).
Original post by .Ali.
Well I have to have debts too. Yes, my parents will assist me, but I'll still have to pay some of it. I'll still have debts. If you can't see the long term benefits, then frankly, maybe you shouldn't be at uni.

I think after the bit, 'yes my parents will help me' the rest of that statement becomes pointless. A poor student gets no help from anyone , apart from the government

maybe so, but it shouldn't cost more for the same thing! Lol yes I am middle income.

Ok if you really are middle income (i seriously doubt that, but ok then) then you may face problems as well. It should cost more for the same thing. Thats like saying a billionaire should pay the same taxes as a poor person. It shouldnt be the case of 'only go to uni if you can afford it' university should be available to everyone to access, however some people will not feel they have access to something out of their budget, in which case, they should get help.

Hold on a sec, how is a student responsible for their parents income. They didnt choose to be born into a poor family, just as you didnt choose to be born into your family. They shouldnt be penalised just because of their parents failure to be rich. Everyone should have access to uni, and if that means that people who cant afford it pay less and those who can pay more, then that makes sense to me.

Lol no we don't. We need the best students, be they working, middle, or upper class. When you impose quotas, or try to increase figures, that's when posetive discrimination starts, and that's wrong

Ok i agree, we need the best students. However many poor students wouldnt have gone to university in the past. Poor intelligent students. If you look at a school with rich students, you will find that nearly all of them will go to university regardless of how smart they are. Thats not the case in poorer areas. Schemes like this will hopefully change that.
Reply 199
There are two meanings of "cannot afford".

There is they are earning such a low wage that they physically cannot afford to pay for something, no matter what they do.

And there are people who have money, but choose to spend it on other things, thus they cannot afford to pay for something else.

I suspect your parents are in the second group if you don't get EMA.

And what about those who cannot afford to save or invest money? Or perhaps those who had saved money but then had to use it to pay for something that is more important? (like food).

Anyone can afford to. You can open an ISA with as littl as £1. No one is going to miss £1 here and there. It'll add up.

Thy should use the interest, and if they take out from it, make sure they put back into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending