The Student Room Group

Messy life: I got bad A Levels and my parents are still pushing me into uni - help!

I'm very sorry this is anonymous, but I am very embarrassed about my situation, especially my grades, which I know some people would make much fun of. Also, this is very life-related anyway. So I'd rather not be identified. But here goes...

I did my GCSEs two years ago, in which I got mainly Bs. But it was a disappointment, as I had been expected some more As, but never mind since at least they were OK and I got into sixth form.

Then I started sixth form. I think I was suffering a bit from some sort of depression, but I tried to truck on as I really wanted to do well and get into uni in two years time. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan at all, and I only ended up with Ds and Es, and that is with trying quite hard :s-smilie:. I know I could have gone back to sixth form to retake, but I chose not to, because it didn't feel right to keep on trying, and also I just hated that school for various reasons and needed to stop going there. I feel stupid for not leaving there earlier, but never mind, since what's done is done. I just left then as I now felt like I needed a bit of a break after all that to think things over.

Lately, I've been researching careers and also looking for jobs. I'm still slightly considering uni, but I'm not sure if I should. Since I did so bad at A Levels, could I really cope with uni? Plus, my parents are pushing me to apply as soon as possible for an Access Course or try for a uni overseas that only requires GCSEs, not A Levels. These things cost so much money though, and I'd hate to try them only to fail, like I did at A Level, which was free as well! I really don't know what to do, and all this is really stressing me out :frown:.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? Advice please.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, my dad was angry at me for suggesting a gap year, and seems to want me in uni as soon as possible. I can't imagine what he'd say if I didn't want to go at all, let alone wait a couple of years :frown:
Reply 2
It's better to attempt something and fail than to have never attempted at all and wondered whether you would have passed or failed.
Original post by Genocidal
It's better to attempt something and fail than to have never attempted at all and wondered whether you would have passed or failed.

your saying it wrong
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm very sorry this is anonymous, but I am very embarrassed about my situation, especially my grades, which I know some people would make much fun of. Also, this is very life-related anyway. So I'd rather not be identified. But here goes...

I did my GCSEs two years ago, in which I got mainly Bs. But it was a disappointment, as I had been expected some more As, but never mind since at least they were OK and I got into sixth form.

Then I started sixth form. I think I was suffering a bit from some sort of depression, but I tried to truck on as I really wanted to do well and get into uni in two years time. Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan at all, and I only ended up with Ds and Es, and that is with trying quite hard :s-smilie:. I know I could have gone back to sixth form to retake, but I chose not to, because it didn't feel right to keep on trying, and also I just hated that school for various reasons and needed to stop going there. I feel stupid for not leaving there earlier, but never mind, since what's done is done. I just left then as I now felt like I needed a bit of a break after all that to think things over.

Lately, I've been researching careers and also looking for jobs. I'm still slightly considering uni, but I'm not sure if I should. Since I did so bad at A Levels, could I really cope with uni? Plus, my parents are pushing me to apply as soon as possible for an Access Course or try for a uni overseas that only requires GCSEs, not A Levels. These things cost so much money though, and I'd hate to try them only to fail, like I did at A Level, which was free as well! I really don't know what to do, and all this is really stressing me out :frown:.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? And if so, what did you do? Advice please.

Exact same situation as me! I went back to college to resit something else, maybe look for a college and do a BTEC? Or do a foundation degree? Or an apprenticeship. There are plenty of options for you. I left with U's and ended up suffering with depression so I got myself sorted out and then went back to college.
Hope this helped
Reply 5
If you want to go to uni, then I would try re-do your A-Levels and get respectable grades. There is no point in going to 'university' with D and E grades.
Reply 6
Damn, I hate that the tuition fees are rising! This is making my decision so much harder :s-smilie:. Thank you for your advice everyone.
Reply 7
Do you WANT to go to uni? that should be your motivation for trying/ not trying, i doubt your parents would want you to be unhappy and at the end of the day its three years your life, not theirs
Reply 8
x

well you shouldnt let yourself get pushed into a situation because your parents want you to do it. TBH i think the foreign uni with GCSES sounds good, but only if there is something you are interested in studying at uni.
Reply 9
Original post by bubbaa
Do you WANT to go to uni? that should be your motivation for trying/ not trying, i doubt your parents would want you to be unhappy and at the end of the day its three years your life, not theirs

That's the thing, I'm really not sure. Since I didn't do well at A Level, what if the same happens at degree level? I would almost certainly go to uni if I was a straight A student, but I'm not, so there's my dilemma. I'm just worried I'll find uni difficult. Getting a 3rd class degree would be horrible :frown:.
Hm, do you want to go to University? ( I mean e.g. if education was free?)
{--> See you answered this already. They are less demanding subjects and as you said, you weren't "very happy" at Sixth Form, so there is no reason to beconvinced that you'll never be good at anything. (Perhaps not very good, but good? Not that bad.) Of course you have to do a lot of research to find the right course for you which has appropriate job opportunities.}
Really difficult situation. On the one hand I am not a big friend on "Everybody has to got to University" on the other hand if your parents support you, why don't you give yourself a new chance? Perhaps you can make kind of a "contract" with your parents, e.g. I will try it for a year, but I am responsible and if I see it won't work out, you don't complain and support me doing my way out of Uni.

By the way: University isn't allways University. There can be a big difference between very academic courses and very practical courses.

A very important point, what do you want to do? That would make the decision easier and if you can show your parents a well considered plan for your future will perhaps make them more comfortable with any decision you take.

Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Also, my dad was angry at me for suggesting a gap year, and seems to want me in uni as soon as possible. I can't imagine what he'd say if I didn't want to go at all, let alone wait a couple of years :frown:

Is it even possible for you to start uni before next septemeber though? :s-smilie:

I would raise you concerns to your parents also. As it is a lot of money and university requires commitment.
Reply 12
That's the thing, I'm really not sure. Since I didn't do well at A Level, what if the same happens at degree level? I would almost certainly go to uni if I was a straight A student, but I'm not, so there's my dilemma. I'm just worried I'll find uni difficult. Getting a 3rd class degree would be horrible :frown:.

I think you're actually stupid. Not because of your grades, but because of your lack of knowledge when it comes to Uni.

Good luck.
Reply 13
Original post by Yawn11
I think you're actually stupid. Not because of your grades, but because of your lack of knowledge when it comes to Uni.

Good luck.

Um, what? Can you explain your answer please??
Reply 14
Um, what? Can you explain your answer please??

To put it simply.

If you could only achieve good grades at Uni, with straight A's at A-levels, do you think any decent Uni would accept grades below A?

Just think about it.
Original post by adam_zed
well you shouldnt let yourself get pushed into a situation because your parents want you to do it. TBH i think the foreign uni with GCSES sounds good, but only if there is something you are interested in studying at uni.

dont take advice from dis fassio, hes a mug
Reply 16
Original post by Yawn11
To put it simply.

If you could only achieve good grades at Uni, with straight A's at A-levels, do you think any decent Uni would accept grades below A?

Just think about it.

From what I've heard and read though, decent unis usually want C grades at the very least, if not more. And I struggle to achieve C :emo:. It only seems like rubbish unis like Southbank or something like that take will take low grades. Is it worth trying for a uni like that?
Reply 17

Maybe you could try re-taking your A Levels at college? I left school and took mine there, it's hard as where i went you had to do a lot of things idependently, but i tried hard and got the grades for uni.
If you really want to go to uni then you will push yourself, as you have to do at A Level, and college is better when you're sick of school, i found it much better! If you manage to do well at college then you will be fine in uni as the independent work is similar to how it is at college :smile:
Keep trying, D's and E's are not the end of the world, i got a D in history after putting a hell of a lot of effort in, my teacher was a poor excuse so i had to do a lot independently! Get used to working like that and you will be fine, i know quite a lot about history considering my grade, it's nowhere near as bad getting a D at gcse.. and you got B's so you've clearly got the brains :smile:
Lucky my other grades were A and C, so i could still get on my course.
Also you might want to think about the A Levels you're taking? If you really don't enjoy them or just find you're not very good at them then you might want to consider different ones.
Oh and remember, uni isn't the best path for everyone :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Hustle4life
dont take advice from dis fassio, hes a mug

Why?
Where do you want to be in 5 years time? If you can answer that question, then working out what to do next is easy - some jobs require degrees, some don't. Or if you can't answer the first question, what do you most enjoy? If you enjoy learning academic things, go to university regardless of league tables and careers, whilst if you would rather learn to do something practical, then do a more vocational course.

That said, there are people who are 10 years older than you who still can't answer either of those questions. Cough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending