The Student Room Group

I like to be fat! Am I wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mediaroom
Don't make this topic all about me! How many of you will actually believe that about 5 years ago I was actually a size 12?

I used to be normal but the thyroid issues, death of a best friend and everything just pushed me to the point where I wanted to eat and not do anything else.

For people with mental and physical issues like myself, when we can't help being fat, I really don't understand how you people can criticise those who can't help it.

Exercise HURTS like a bitch! :frown:

No matter what you say, I'm like any normal person, I have a job I love, I did really well in my A Levels despite a hard life and I could have gone to uni but I didn't because of my weight. But now I lead a happy life and I'm being hated for this?

Whereas heart attacks and strokes and great fun and not at all painful.

If you're genuinely having Thyroid problems then your Dr should be able to offer medication to help your Thyroid work properly, or at least mimc the effects of a healthy Thyroid. Please don't give the mental health issues as a reason not to exercise because it's bobbins. I was diagnosed with severe Manic Depression which resulted in time in hospital. I still manage to exercise.

The only mental problem that genuinely STOPS people exercising is a lack of willpower.

Yes your knees will ache and your muscles will be sore when you first start exercising but once you start to see a differrence not only does your body become more used to the exercise but it becomes an addictive pastime.
Reply 61
a fat :troll:
Reply 62
Original post by donuticus
Whereas heart attacks and strokes and great fun and not at all painful.

If you're genuinely having Thyroid problems then your Dr should be able to offer medication to help your Thyroid work properly, or at least mimc the effects of a healthy Thyroid. Please don't give the mental health issues as a reason not to exercise because it's bobbins. I was diagnosed with severe Manic Depression which resulted in time in hospital. I still manage to exercise.

The only mental problem that genuinely STOPS people exercising is a lack of willpower.

Yes your knees will ache and your muscles will be sore when you first start exercising but once you start to see a differrence not only does your body become more used to the exercise but it becomes an addictive pastime.

If you don't mind my asking, how did you cope with the depression? A friend of mine had it because we lost our close friend about 5 years ago in a car crash. I coped way better than her but in very different ways. :rolleyes: She still has depression but I'm just curious to know how you coped.
I am 19-20 stoneish and about 5ft 4. I know that I'm like morbidly obese or something. I like playing computer games all day long and food actually makes me happy! I eat because I want to try everything in the world before I die!

Am I wrong that I like that I am so fat? It hurts me that people look at me like I am some sort of hippo or something.

The reason why I posted this in general discussion and not H&R is because I want to know why it isn't socially acceptable that people like me (who like to be obese) aren't treated equally.

We're all meant to be comfortable with our own body, right?

:troll:
You are a troll, but nonetheless - obese people cost the NHS billions. Of course it isn't socially acceptable to be fat - because it's irresponsible. So stop being so disgustingly lazy.
If you don't mind my asking, how did you cope with the depression? A friend of mine had it because we lost our close friend about 5 years ago in a car crash. I coped way better than her but in very different ways. :rolleyes: She still has depression but I'm just curious to know how you coped.

In all honesty I didn't cope with it. I was ill for a long time from an early age and looking at it now what, at the time was put down as streaks of teenage rebellion, I was undoubtedly showing the early signs of my illness.

The medication helps immeasurably. People should not be afraid of the medication. While initially it can be hard to get the balance right to enable as normal a life as possible it is worth it in the end. I had to take Lithium to keep my mood stable and Olanzapine to cure the infrequent bouts of psychosis I sufferred. Mediacation help me sleep and to calm me down. I still take the Lithium now and will do for the rest of my life but the other medication has been stopped and even the Lithium dose has been reduced significantly.
Well tbh it just shows that you're proud of who you are :biggrin: If you're comfortable with who you are, why not eat what you want and when you want? no problemo! :biggrin:
Meh. Enjoy it while you can.
Reply 67
Nah being fats ok. Makes us normal people look sexy.
Reply 68
Lol @ the insecurity seeping from this thread. :s-smilie:
Reply 69
It's good to be comfortable in your own skin, so I'm happy for you in that respect.
But when you're causing serious health problems for yourself, which will eventually cost society a lot of money, how can you be proud of your weight?

I have rarely heard a smoker state that they are proud to be a smoker. Yet overweight people often say they are proud of their size/big and beautiful/happy to be overweight. I just cannot understand how anyone can be happy and/or proud to be hurting their bodies.
It is a problem, and should be addressed as such instead of making excuses or trying to justify staying at that weight.
I am 19-20 stoneish and about 5ft 4. I know that I'm like morbidly obese or something. I like playing computer games all day long and food actually makes me happy! I eat because I want to try everything in the world before I die!

Am I wrong that I like that I am so fat? It hurts me that people look at me like I am some sort of hippo or something.

The reason why I posted this in general discussion and not H&R is because I want to know why it isn't socially acceptable that people like me (who like to be obese) aren't treated equally.

We're all meant to be comfortable with our own body, right?

I've tried so hard but I just can't shift the weight :frown: I've just grown to love my body the way it is I guess. I mean I can't really walk very well because my knees hurt like hell.

I lost about 3 stone when I dieted once but I put on another extra 5 stone after so it didn't really work. :frown:

Doesn't sound to me like you're happy if you're trying to diet... a bit of a contradiction from your 2nd post really.

Being obese and living an unhealthy lifestyle isn't going to do anything for your fitness, nevermind your health levels. You're already struggling to walk!

Also, playing computer games all day? Are you unemployed?

Start doing some exercise and cut out of the "experimenting" food excuse.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
Original post by Ricky116
Also, its ugly to look at and I like to look at pretty things.

Totally subjective so that doesn't mean anything to anyone except you just like OP

Don't kid yourself, you do not eat because you want to try everything. Get that right out of your head. If that were true you would not be repeatedly shoving mars bars down your throat (they do not change with consumption).

Could always be a different chocolate bar every day, i mean theres probably more than 365, one a day every year i would call that 'trying everything' :colone:

Yes, you are wrong. You being fat is detrimental to the human race, which is the same race as me. This upsets me.

OH YEAH COS FAT PEOPLE ARE WELL BAD FOR THE HUMAN RACE.

Moron, ill tell you what is bad for the human race, the haze of facts vs opinions the media manifests, the fact Cheryll Cole got voted as the most inspirational women of the decade, not the year, the DECADE, the fact that children idolise emptiness and glamour and will grow up to be nothing, no hopes or dreams, just a yearn to be famous for any reason..

Media aside, what about the travesties that happen abroad? the thousands of hungry, homeless and poor in so called civilised countries? The millions of people who suffer or die from curable diseases daily? Politicians (wikileaks scenario) deeming it appropriate to keep secrets from other nations? If everyone did this there wouldn't be a problem would there!

The fact that people wonder why our economy is falling apart when it was originally based on a piece of useless metal called gold that does **** all except look nice.. GREAT SYSTEM M8.

And ****ing etc etc etc etc etc etc that doesn't get addressed
/i cant be bothered with..

Then theres people like you... calling someone who enjoys eating a lot a travesty.. they are only 'detrimental to the human race' in your eyes because yours are clouded with all the propagated bull**** where you have to be thin and attractive and fit and healthy to achieve anything in this life rather than just having a good time, but then that doesn't always create a profit does it?

We die in the end... did no one tell you to do what you enjoy?

rantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrantrant
Reply 72
Whatever you feel comfortable with. At the end of the day, it's your body and nobody can tell you what to do. People can advise you, but they're not you. However, if your health is at serious risk then it will be best to try and do something about it.
It's so ridiculously unhealthy.. And actually, I personally think smoking is disgusting and will **** you up.
Reply 74
i really dont wanna judge, but have you ever thought what happens if you get sick or just need smbody to look after you when you get old? e.g.for people working in hospitals its incredibly hard to have overweight patients...
if i were you i would think about what it means for other people...
if you're really genuinely happy with how you are, and the consequences, then that's fine :smile:

One of my best friends is, well to be frank, hugely obese. He is going to die younger, and he's tried and tried, but can't shift it (but doesn't try hard enough :frown: )
he's practically quadrupled in size the past couple of years, and it's really really upsetting to see someone you care about like that, knowing how unhealthy they are, and that there's nothing you can do. I want him to be happy, and have a girlfriend, and be able to run around in fields and go clubbing with us, but we have to adjust what we do because we don't want him to feel bad about it.
And he's actually been told he's 3 stone too light to have gastric band surgery, which is stupid really, but I just hope he can get it :frown:

So yeah, I guess my point is, if you're happy, you're happy and that's great :biggrin:
But you need to consider whether you're really ready to only experience a tiny proportion of what you potentially could out there in the world, I mean, there's more to the world than trying all the food there is!! And also the people you care about and how it effects them...
Don't make this topic all about me! How many of you will actually believe that about 5 years ago I was actually a size 12?

I used to be normal but the thyroid issues, death of a best friend and everything just pushed me to the point where I wanted to eat and not do anything else.

For people with mental and physical issues like myself, when we can't help being fat, I really don't understand how you people can criticise those who can't help it.

Exercise HURTS like a bitch! :frown:

No matter what you say, I'm like any normal person, I have a job I love, I did really well in my A Levels despite a hard life and I could have gone to uni but I didn't because of my weight. But now I lead a happy life and I'm being hated for this?

Your profile says you got like Cs Ds and Es in your a levels...hardly "really well" :/ just try going for a 5 minute walk everyday, it's not that hard
Reply 77
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
I read something else but okay even still. It's still an african country that is among the fattest in the world. Even the impoverished there are fat like here.

Well Egypt isn't really a good example of poverty anyway, they get a lot of money from tourism. I was talking about Africa in general.
Reply 78
Original post by James4d
Nah being fats ok. Makes us normal people look sexy.

This is sooo horrible but it still made me laugh :laugh:

Original post by DanielleT192
Doesn't sound to me like you're happy if you're trying to diet... a bit of a contradiction from your 2nd post really.

Being obese and living an unhealthy lifestyle isn't going to do anything for your fitness, nevermind your health levels. You're already struggling to walk!

Also, playing computer games all day? Are you unemployed?

Start doing some exercise and cut out of the "experimenting" food excuse.

Nope I'm not unemployed. I work in a wedding cakes shop. Which probably doesn't help :s-smilie: Maybe computer games all day long was a bit of an exaggeration but my hours at work aren't long so I spend about 6 hours working (excluding break/lunch) and the rest of my time being unhealthy. It hurts me that people don't understand that I have tried in the past. I just want people to accept me the way I accept me.

Original post by I.LOVE.CAKE
Are you a guy or a girl?

I am a girl. I work in a wedding cakes shop so I have to be a girl! :smile:
If your comfortable with it then who cares? I'm exactly the opposite, 6'2" and 9stone but I don't care that I'm skinny. I'm happy with my body and if you are too then woopdy doo there's no problem. Learn to not care what others think. They often judge because they are the insecure ones and often feel better by criticising others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending