The Student Room Group

Law: Newcastle or Northumbria

Apologies if there has already beena thread on this matter, but I would be greatful for adivce from members of TSR :smile:

At the moment I have offers from both universities for 2011 entry but it appears to be a harder choice than first thought. Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession?
Original post by Barnowl
Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession?

I think it's probably most likely to, go with Newcastle.
Newcastle all the way- absolute no brainer.
Reply 3
Newcastle. Better prospects, great uni, it's just generally better. And it's got really pretty buildings :biggrin:
Reply 4
I would imagine so yeah.
Reply 5
Original post by Barnowl
Apologies if there has already beena thread on this matter, but I would be greatful for adivce from members of TSR :smile:

At the moment I have offers from both universities for 2011 entry but it appears to be a harder choice than first thought. Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession?

I've heard that the law graduates from Northumbria are more sought for, because they have a work experience in the third year.

The guy who said it is here on TSR, just seek for TimNUFriend. Be aware of the fact that he's hired by Northumbria to advise potential students about the university and other things, so he will be a bit biased. However, he mentioned that he has gotten offers from Newcastle university and some other very good universities and finally decided for Northumbria (not saying it's bad). I'm making Northumbria my firm.
Reply 6
Newcastle /thread
Reply 7
Original post by MJay91
I've heard that the law graduates from Northumbria are more sought for, because they have a work experience in the third year.

The guy who said it is here on TSR, just seek for TimNUFriend. Be aware of the fact that he's hired by Northumbria to advise potential students about the university and other things, so he will be a bit biased. However, he mentioned that he has gotten offers from Newcastle university and some other very good universities and finally decided for Northumbria (not saying it's bad). I'm making Northumbria my firm.

Choosing between Northumbria and Nottingham Trent is one thing, but choosing between Northumbria and Newcastle is a no brainer. Newcastle is a top 20 law school (top 15 usually). Northumbria is ranked 40-50 for law. Everything about Newcastle is better. Coming from Newcastle your competing against Birmingham, Southampton, and Manchester for a training contract. Coming from Northumbria you are competing against post 92's. It's like if you had an offer from Manchester and Manchester Met, Manchester is obviously the better pick.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Barnowl

I'm in the same boat as you :smile: but Newcastle is definitely my first choice without a doubt! It is ranked 3rd for Law in the Times Good University Guide 2011 :smile: And the uni is amazing! Are you going to the Law Open Day on the 15th Dec?
Reply 9
Original post by rachlala14
I'm in the same boat as you :smile: but Newcastle is definitely my first choice without a doubt! It is ranked 3rd for Law in the Times Good University Guide 2011 :smile: And the uni is amazing! Are you going to the Law Open Day on the 15th Dec?

I haven't heard anything from the university about the open day but I think I will go through :smile:
Thanks for the reference MJAY91 haha but yes as well as working for Northumbria part time I am primarily here as a law student and I'm now in my second year and absolutely love the place. And sorry MJAY91 but I didn't decline Newcastle as I completely chose not to go there as the place didn't feel right for me with the old styled buildings and very archaic feel whereas Northumbria gave me that 'wow factor'. However I did decline red bricks such as Leeds and Sheffield, as well as Lancaster which is another highly regarded legal university and although i had offers from them all my mind was completely set on Northumbria.
The reason why i chose Northumbria was because when i was applying for universities i read an article stating that employers believe that 'every man and his dog has a degree these days' (or along those lines) and they now look for students who stand out and have 'employability'. This is what drew me to Northumbria as it had one of the highest employment rates post degree than a lot of the red brick universities. Also, the course here, which not many people are aware of, is very unique in what it offers.
The law course, known as M Law (exempting) degree, is a four year long course where students will be gaining the LLB as well as an LPC/BPTC (depending on which route, solicitor or bar, you wish to take) therefore you will be gaining the academic legal knowledge as well as how you would apply that within your role as a legal professional.
Additionally, the course has been upgraded to a masters as in 3rd and 4th year students will get to partake in real life legal services in the Student Law Office. Here real, everyday people come with their real, everyday legal problems and it is for the students, accompanied with tutors, to assist in the resolution of the legal disputes. Therefore when prospective employers assess your CV they can see that you already have hands on experience within the job.
Therefore you will leave Northumbria with a law degree, with a masters in law and the required LPC/BPTC for you to enter the next step in becoming a lawyer.
Also, Northumbria has close connections with many law firms in the area which are highly praising of the course.
I do not elude from the fact that Newcastle University has a more historical reputation however the courses are very different and I would strongly suggest coming along to an open day for both universities to see which one feels right for you. However, attending either will put you in a great stead for a legal profession.
Reply 11
Will opting for Newcastle provide me with improved job prospects in the legal profession?

It will make it easier let's say. It is regarded as the better of the two as it is an old Uni as opposed to a new poly-sad to say but true within the legal profession. Both Unis are in the heart of the City so other than reputation you will get the same standard of student life there. The only difference with Northumbria is that it offers the LPC and BPTC but Newcastle doesn't so you would have to go to another Uni for that. Northumbria also offers the exempting degree and has the student law office as a module-that's where work experience comes in. Northumbria has a large Law school with fantastis modern facilities (I wen there) but Newcastle has a better reputation.

Hope this helps!
Reply 12
Hi, both unis are no doubt fantastic.

First of all, league tables are not at all accurate whenever choosing a university. They are so retrospective and never depict a university's real image. After all, they are just stats. It does not take a real mathematician to notice that. The league tables do not recognise the quality of the courses, or the courses itself.

Northumbria has an excellent law school- no doubt. It has a student law office where you can put into practice what you learn from the course. You will never get such an opportunity to do something like this in university and you will definitely be sought after when you graduate. They have excellent buildings too. My friend goes there and loves it- He picked it over Newcastle, York, Manchester,and Liverpool. I think you probably become more passionate about the subject and after all, passion and experience is what employers want- You're more likely to get that from Northumbria. I went to a more traditional university, but I can guarantee you there is not any difference between Northumbria and my university.

Newcastle University: It is a good university too. The law is school is situated in victorian houses (i think) , and I do believe that it has also been refurbished. The course is just like any traditional law course but make sure you check it out

Just check both out. BUT, employers will not discriminate between universities such as Newcastle and Northumbria especially for Law- if that was the case then Northumbria would have an exceptionally low employment rate (which it doesn't at al). So go for what you think is the best and suitable for you needs and ambitions.
Hope this helped :smile:

BTW I just checked Northumbria Law School website- it is defo very good. It is award winning- surely all legal firms will know about this as all the awards are prestigious. For example, it's student law office beat the Magic Circle firms for ‘Excellence in Community Investment. Hope this helped more :smile:. I really wish I didn't look too much on league tables because they really are not the best indicator.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I find myself in a similar situation. In my opinion, after visiting both both university's law schools on more than one occasion, I am more inclined to make Northumbria my firm choice.

I believe Newcastle to be a good law school but Northumbria's 4 year exempting degrees along with the masters qualification upon graduation is what sold it for me. Also Northumbria has its student law office as has previously been discussed, fantastic law library in fact better than the facilities I saw at Newcastle. It is also worth pointing out that with the 4-year exempting degrees, whether you choose to qualify as a barrister or a solicitor, you will get student finance for that 4th year! Ordinarily you would have to fund the LPC or BPTC yourself which could cost around 12,000 I think. If you are wanting to qualify, as I am, then I would go Northumbria. If you did not want to become a barrister or a solicitor then certainly give Newcastle some more consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending