The Student Room Group

Ambition

Hi!
The question i am most in favour of for my assignment is:

Iago (aside) ‘And by how much she strives to do him good/ She shall undo her credit with the Moor - / So will I turn her virtue into a pitch/ And out of her own goodness make the net/ That shall enmesh them all’ (Othello 2.3.333-337).

Using the above quotation as a starting point, explore how the theme of ambition is dramatised in two of the plays you have studied during this module.

the books i have studied are :
Henry V, Julius Caesar, Richard II, Othello, Hamlet, Midsummer Nights Dream and As you like It

I was thinking of using Henry V and Julius Caesar, but there are very little resources out there for it. so i was thinking, maybe i should change it to Henry V and Richard II? Are my two chosen books correct, or should i change it???

Another question is:
Can this cock-pit hold/ The vasty fields of France? Or may we cram/ Within this wooden O the very casques/That did affright the air at Agincourt?’ (Chorus speaking in Henry V, prologue, 11-14).
After commenting briefly on what the Chorus is asking the audience to imagine, explore how the experience of a stage performance can enhance the overall interpretation of a Shakespeare play. You must refer to at least two of the plays you have studied during this module although you may refer more widely if you wish.
I don't really like this question, but, iv come across plenty of chapters on it, but then i dont want to be referencing chunks out of books.

thanks
Reply 1
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are we talking A-level or degree-level coursework here?
Original post by hobnob

Original post by hobnob
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are we talking A-level or degree-level coursework here?

Thanks for reading
No, its regarding an assignment iv got to do.
whether i should use henry V and Julius Caesar to discuss ambition,or a different book from the ones listed.
or whether to leae that question altogether, and look at stage performance
Reply 3
Original post by Little_missy01
Thanks for reading
No, its regarding an assignment iv got to do.
whether i should use henry V and Julius Caesar to discuss ambition,or a different book from the ones listed.
or whether to leae that question altogether, and look at stage performance

Yes, and my question was what kind of assignment is this?
Original post by hobnob

Original post by hobnob
Yes, and my question was what kind of assignment is this?

oh! lol. an assignmet to see how wel we've understood the module, it carried a weighting of 50% that goes to our final grade
Reply 5
oh! lol. an assignmet to see how wel we've understood the module, it carried a weighting of 50% that goes to our final grade

Hobnob was trying to get at what level of assignment it is i believe. As obviously degree would be a lot more complex than A/AS standard. So what is the final grade for?
Reply 6

:facepalm:
OK, never mind...

For ambition, I'd say As you Like It would be the most obvious one, but you could probably find it as a more or less prominent theme in any of those plays. That's why the question is about how that theme is dramatised rather than whether it is dramatised. So if H5 and Julius Caesar were the ones which stood out most to you, then go for it. Stage performance is a completely different question, but I couldn't possibly say which one you'd find easier to write on. Sorry.

As for there not being enough resources, surely there has been tons of criticism on every single one of those plays?:confused:
Original post by Speedy03

Original post by Speedy03
Hobnob was trying to get at what level of assignment it is i believe. As obviously degree would be a lot more complex than A/AS standard. So what is the final grade for?

oh! my apologies! its for the 2nd year of my uni degree
Original post by hobnob

Original post by hobnob
:facepalm:
OK, never mind...

For ambition, I'd say As you Like It would be the most obvious one, but you could probably find it as a more or less prominent theme in any of those plays. That's why the question is about how that theme is dramatised rather than whether it is dramatised. So if H5 and Julius Caesar were the ones which stood out most to you, then go for it. Stage performance is a completely different question, but I couldn't possibly say which one you'd find easier to write on. Sorry.

As for there not being enough resources, surely there has been tons of criticism on every single one of those plays?:confused:

lol, my bad, the assignment goes towards the2nd year of my degree grade.
well JC, H5 and RII stood out to me, and the ones i were advised to use.
i chose that question as i felt i could do it well, and there would be resources, there are criticisms on the play but not specific to the theme of ambition :frown:
Reply 9
lol, my bad, the assignment goes towards the2nd year of my degree grade.
well JC, H5 and RII stood out to me, and the ones i were advised to use.
i chose that question as i felt i could do it well, and there would be resources, there are criticisms on the play but not specific to the theme of ambition :frown:

Hmm, I find that a bit hard to believe... Maybe there aren't necessarily entire articles or 500-page monographs called 'Ambition in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar' or Ambitious Shakespeare or something like that, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been written about at all.:wink:
I'd say maybe it would be a good idea to widen your search a bit more, i.e. not use 'ambition' as your only search term, but have a look at the context in which ambition occurs in those plays and then read up on that. I'm pretty sure you'll come across stuff relating to the theme of ambition, even if it's not explicitly about it.
Original post by hobnob

Original post by hobnob
Hmm, I find that a bit hard to believe... Maybe there aren't necessarily entire articles or 500-page monographs called 'Ambition in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar' or Ambitious Shakespeare or something like that, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been written about at all.:wink:
I'd say maybe it would be a good idea to widen your search a bit more, i.e. not use 'ambition' as your only search term, but have a look at the context in which ambition occurs in those plays and then read up on that. I'm pretty sure you'll come across stuff relating to the theme of ambition, even if it's not explicitly about it.

Hmm...we'll see...Thanks
Reply 11
Hmm...we'll see...Thanks

You should really be beyond the point of asking for help on TSR. Nevertheless, Roger Brown and Albert Gilman's Politeness Theory and Shakespeare's Four Major Tragedies (1989) looks useful for at least two of the texts you are dealing with, and might provide a theoretical framework for the others; just copy and paste this into JSTOR.

Unfortunately, I have not read a lot of Shakespeare so the only text I can specifically with is Hamlet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by evantej

Original post by evantej
You should really be beyond the point of asking for help on TSR. Nevertheless, Roger Brown and Albert Gilman's Politeness Theory and Shakespeare's Four Major Tragedies (1989) looks useful for at least two of the texts you are dealing with, and might provide a theoretical framework for the others; just copy and paste this into JSTOR.

Unfortunately, I have not read a lot of Shakespeare so the only text I can specifically with is Hamlet.

Im not exacty asking for help, but suggestions and advice.
Nevertheless i did speak to my lecturer today about my assignment,if heading the right way, to clarify some possible misunderstandings etc, and she said I'm doing well and I'm on the right track, which was such a relief.
Thanks for the reference, I'll definitely check that out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending