The Student Room Group

food for the needy/homeless

I have recently found out about my food sensitivities/allergies and now I have one type of bread (whole loaf in the freezer) and tomatoes that I can't eat anymore. I would like to give it to a homeless person.

I live in London.

Now, surprising as it may sound but have not really seen that many homeless people around. (where are they?)

what to do with the food I'd like to donate?
Lovely notion. I don't know anything about london but if you don't find a random on the street try dropping it off at your nearest homeless shelter? Just google them and find out.

I think it's a great initiative, good luck!

X
I don't think that this always go down so well unfortunately.
Reply 3
Original post by sandys1000
I don't think that this always go down so well unfortunately.

why?
Original post by other one
why?

in my experience a few don't mind begging for money but find it patronising if you offer them food... but i think there will definitely be people who're really grateful and need it, just don't give up/feel hurt if you get one or two rude homeless people.
Reply 5
Homeless people are not starving - various charities/religious groups do provide soup runs and fairly adequate meals so if they turn it down it's because they're not hungry!
Reply 6
One meagre loaf of bread? Give it to your nan.
Giving random small chunks of leftover food in the freezer will be more insulting than anything to the homeless
Reply 8
I see.

my nan doesn't live anywhere nearby.

will just throw away the bread then. i just really hate the idea of throwing food away...
Reply 9
I remember when I was like 11 I went to Italy with the school and there were lots of homeless people living on the streets. They were asleep at the time and I felt a bit sorry for them but at the same time was quite scared of them too. So I took all the coins out of my "Bun bag" (HAHA - how embarassing are they?) and it was about 14 euros in change but because I was scared of them I just threw the lot at them and run away.

Must have been a bitter sweet awakening.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending