The Student Room Group

MSc Physiotherapy (pre-reg) Sep 2010/ Jan 2011 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
djk_99
Some people on my course have a job, it's split about half and half. Most of those that work are already qualified in sports therapy and do some work for local football teams or local disabled children, so it's a bit of a chance to practice physio skills. Some have temp jobs, or in local bars.
It is possible to have a part time job, but it really depends how much time you need to study. If you know anatomy and physiology really well then you'll be fine, if you need to spend 2+ hours a night learning it like I did then you may have to think again!
You are eligble for a career and development loan, a lot of people on my course have them, so check them out.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply , I appreciate it :smile:
What subject did you study at degree level before you went onto this MSc? - if you dont mind me asking?

I have done A level Biology, Chemistry , Maths and Psychology.
Took Psychology at degree level which as quite a big chunk of physiology in it and also a lot of Neuroanatomy. I am hoping this will be useful. Even though i know know i will probably need to get back on top of my hard Bio, i am actually excited to do so :smile:
Reply 21
I did Biomed Sci. One person in my cohort did psych. The vast majority did sports science/ rehab.
The A level Bio will be great- just for the basic physiology that you learn e.g. nerve structures.
Reply 22
Hi thinking of applying for the msc, not sure where yet. What is the course timetable like? as I may commute.
Thank you
Kev
Reply 23
Depends where you go- in Essex we were in uni for the majority of the first year, most days 9-5. In the second year we are on placement for the majority of the year 8.30-4.30 (and this is not always local, I currently have a 2+ hour commute to placement!).
It's doable to commute, but tiring. How far away do you live?
Reply 24
Hey,

Is anybody here applying to King's and know anything about how competative the course is in terms of how many people apply for the 20 places available? I am applying for September 2011 entry and really want to go to King's but am worried about their need for a "good A-Level profile". I did pretty poorly in my A-levels but have matured due to this and have finally started to work since i got to university. Has anyone here been successful or does anyone know of anybody who who might have some information for me?

Thanks,
Sam.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
HI thanks for your response, Is it monday to friday 9-5? Currently living and working in swindon but if needs be will move closer. How do you rate the course at essex? also does it start in september, when roughly does it start in september? as im getting married on the 20th september next year and do not want to miss any.

Thank you again for your reply

Kev
Reply 26
swindonkev
HI thanks for your response, Is it monday to friday 9-5? Currently living and working in swindon but if needs be will move closer. How do you rate the course at essex? also does it start in september, when roughly does it start in september? as im getting married on the 20th september next year and do not want to miss any.

Thank you again for your reply

Kev

Yup, Mon-Fri 9-5. Though often have Weds afternoons off, or an odd day off for whatever reason.
Placement is proper working hours though, Mon-Fri, 8.30-4.30.
Course at Essex is good, the people who teach are amazing. Really busy though, don't get a lot of holiday.
Generally the end of Sept (28th or so), but obviously this will vary every year by a bit- email and ask if you need to know the exact date.
Reply 27
Thank you for your reply much appreciated. Did you need to find your own placement? where is your placement, do most people do their placement with the nhs?

Thank you
Kev
Reply 28
Original post by swindonkev

Thank you for your reply much appreciated. Did you need to find your own placement? where is your placement, do most people do their placement with the nhs?

Thank you
Kev

The placement coordinators at uni find them for us- there is a central database they have, we don't really get involved. We can make requests but no guarantees! 99% of the placements are in the NHS- they fund the course after all.
Tbf, by your questions, you really need to do a little more research into it and what the course involves.
Reply 29
1. Anyone know anyone who got accepted with a 2ii in Biomedical Science?

2. How good or bad are the job prospects after doing the MSc pre-reg course?

3. What's the male:female ratio like on the courses?
Reply 30
Original post by lawaaris

Original post by lawaaris
1. Anyone know anyone who got accepted with a 2ii in Biomedical Science?

2. How good or bad are the job prospects after doing the MSc pre-reg course?

3. What's the male:female ratio like on the courses?

1. Yes, me.
2. Guess it varies with uni- for my course I think 90% of grads have a job within 4 months of graduating. This year 6 people had job offers before graduating!
3. In my cohort there are 19 girls and 13 boys.
Reply 31
Hi thank you for your help
Hey
has anyone accepted the Southampton Msc physio pre reg starting in january 2011? I got my conditional offer yesterday and just wondering if anyone else has and what you are doing about accomodation etc.
Thanks, Becky
Reply 33
hi guys just been told by someone that if you do a physiotherapy course thats funded by the nhs you have to do a certain amount of work in the nhs after you graduate, is this true and if so how long?

Thanks
Reply 34
hi guys just been told by someone that if you do a physiotherapy course thats funded by the nhs you have to do a certain amount of work in the nhs after you graduate, is this true and if so how long?

Thanks

Untrue. At least for the moment!
Original post by djk_99
x

Hi :smile:

I'm currently doing Biology and Psychology dual honours and I am thinking about applying to do MSc Physiotherapy at Essex once I graduate.
I was looking on the essex uni website the other day and I couldn't find how much the tuition fees are for Physiotherapy? :redface:
I was hoping maybe you could let me know? :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by secret_smile
Hi :smile:

I'm currently doing Biology and Psychology dual honours and I am thinking about applying to do MSc Physiotherapy at Essex once I graduate.
I was looking on the essex uni website the other day and I couldn't find how much the tuition fees are for Physiotherapy? :redface:
I was hoping maybe you could let me know? :smile:

You need to do a bit more research! NHS pay fees for all physiotherapy (pre-reg) courses. You may also be eligible for a means tested bursary.
Reply 37
Original post by djk_99
1. Yes, me.
2. Guess it varies with uni- for my course I think 90% of grads have a job within 4 months of graduating. This year 6 people had job offers before graduating!
3. In my cohort there are 19 girls and 13 boys.

Hi I'm a recent Biomed graduate from King's but only got a 2:2. I want to study physiotherapy at King's too, but I know I have a slim chance of getting in due to my 2:2, although I do have a good A level profile. My other option is Essex, as I don't want to move too far away from London. I was wondering about the reputation of Essex for physiotherapy MSc (pre-reg) and how easy it is to get a job with an MSc from Essex?

But reading that 90% of grads will have a job within 4 months of graduating seems promising.
Reply 38
Original post by Vinjo
Hi I'm a recent Biomed graduate from King's but only got a 2:2. I want to study physiotherapy at King's too, but I know I have a slim chance of getting in due to my 2:2, although I do have a good A level profile. My other option is Essex, as I don't want to move too far away from London. I was wondering about the reputation of Essex for physiotherapy MSc (pre-reg) and how easy it is to get a job with an MSc from Essex?

But reading that 90% of grads will have a job within 4 months of graduating seems promising.

We're only a class of 30 though, and don't take that as gospel, it was just a passing comment by a lecturer so it might not be accurate!
I know job prospects for physios aren't great at the moment, a lot of the junior physios I am meeting on placements say that there are 3-400 applicants per job, and all the jobs are closing early. But hopefully it will get better, and there are always lots of opportunities for physios abroad too.
Reply 39
Thanks. But how is Essex's reputation? Do you think its good to do pre-reg over there? Bit of a silly ques as you go there, but I want an unbiased opinion. Then again most Uni's ask for a 2:1 for their pre-reg so I guess beggers cant be choosers lol

Quick Reply

Latest