The Student Room Group

Greatest prime minister of the 20th/21st century!

so ladies and gentlemen, who do you think was the greatest prime minister of 20th and 21st century (so far)? please bare in mind factors such as their political skill (winning elections and staying power, dealing with crises etc) and their influence of the political climate during and after their tenure in office. also, think about whether they achieved most of what they set out to do. i know this is difficult but try and put some of your ideological inclinations aside.

so who was the best prime minister: Balfour, Bannerman, Asquith, Lloyd George, Bonar law, Baldwin, Chamberlain, Churchill, Attlee, Macmillan, Wilson, Heath, Callaghan, Thatcher, Major, Blair or Brown?

Scroll to see replies

Winston Churchill.

Margaret Thatcher.
Reply 2
Robin Asquith.

Sorry, just remembered - he was the star of the 1970s Confessions series of sex comedies.
Reply 3
Churchill by a long way.

Blair was good, until he led us into an illegal war in Iraq.

Brown was by far the worst. He wasn't even elected in ffs. He was just hungry for power.
Reply 4
Nick Clegg
Reply 5
John Major
Clement Atlee. Without a doubt.
Gordon Brown.

lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
margaret thatcher
david cameron
gordon brown.
Wtf, why leave out Ramsay Macdonald?

Anyway, my answer is Chuck Norris.
50 cent.
Original post by Diabolic99
50 cent.

50 cent was never a British prime minister. Are you trying to be funny or are you trying to look like a knob ?
Reply 12

Thatcher, followed closely by pre-2003 Blair.

Churchill was a disastrous peacetime PM and rose to reverence only because he got lucky and ended up in power during the darkest days of World War II.
Reply 13
Original post by Diabolic99
50 cent.

Seconded.

Original post by ch0llima
Thatcher, followed closely by pre-2003 Blair.

Churchill was a disastrous peacetime PM and rose to reverence only because he got lucky and ended up in power during the darkest days of World War II.

More seriously, this. ^^

Agree on all three counts.
(edited 13 years ago)
Churchill. Obviously.
Reply 15
Original post by PlanetEuropa
50 cent was never a British prime minister. Are you trying to be funny or are you trying to look like a knob ?

Trying to be funny but ended up looking like a knob, I reckon.
Churchill - for standing up to Hitler.

Thatcher - for standing up to the unions.
Original post by PlanetEuropa

Just how sure are you? I'm pretty sure he was a British prime minister in the 1880s.
Original post by xfactorfan

Brown was by far the worst. He wasn't even elected in ffs. He was just hungry for power.

This is completely wrong. No prime minister is ever elected by the people. The leader of the largest party is the one who is chosen by the monarch to be prime minister. The people only decide the MP for their constituency, so please stop peddling the myth that he was never elected. I wasn't a fan of Brown either, but the idea that you are putting forward is a warped view of reality.

In regards to the question:

Churchill and Thatcher.
Original post by SPMS
Trying to be funny but ended up looking like a knob, I reckon.

Stop with the assumptions, seriously. I'm fairly sure 50 cent was elected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending