The Student Room Group

have you ever tried to solve a maths problem entirely in your head?

no literally, make up for example.. two equations in your head (complex) and solve them simultaneously (by substitution) without pen or paper (or any other long maths problem).

I was told that if you can do this you're a genius! it shows your recollection abilities are strong (something to help maths students) and the ability to multi-task in those sticky mathematical situations. Practice makes perfect

well there's something to think about in bed tonight

:cool:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ilyking
no literally, make up for example.. two equations in your head (complex) and solve them simultaneously (by substitution) without pen or paper (or any other long maths problem).

I was told that if you can do this you're a genius! it shows your recollection abilities are strong (something to help maths students) and the ability to multi-task in those sticky mathematical situations. Practice makes perfect

well there's something to think about in bed tonight

:cool:

Thats not very hard to do...
Reply 2
Yes, but my brain fell out.
All the time. :smug:
:yep:
But the universe did start to implode.. so I haven't done it since :mmm:
Reply 5
I tried... and woke up in A&E.
Yeah... my teacher once asked me how many apples I'd end up with if I had 8 in the first place and ate three of them.
I fell at the first hurdle, though and burst into tears.
Reply 7
nope. shop keepers used to get annoyed with me when i started adding up my coins using pen and paper though, so now i just have to use my fingers. finger counting is very much underrated.
Reply 8
Hmm..

2a + b = 7
a + b = 5

a=2, b=3.

Genius, right? No. =/
You were told wrong.
I calculate my food shop in my head...

sometimes I do random calculations in my head just for the heck of it too. Like, they'll give you a figure of how much something is for however long and I'll figure out how much that is in weeks/days/hours or whatever.

Contrary to popular belief, I am actually quite intelligent.
Yeah, took me 1000000000000000 years to solve 50x100.
(No wonder i hate Maths :sad: )
Reply 11
Original post by F1Addict
Hmm..

2a + b = 7
a + b = 5

a=2, b=3.

Genius, right? No. =/
You were told wrong.

harder!

2x - y = 3
x^2 - 2xy + x^2 = ...

things like this! not like what you just did!
Reply 12
Original post by zcomputer5

2x ? y + 9 = 0
x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = 9

Is this difficult? And just look at is once and memorise it. Then solve it from what you can remember. Don't solve it while staring at the question or else you're not actually solving it like I told you
Reply 13
Original post by zcomputer5

2x ? y + 9 = 0
x^2 + 2xy + y^2 = 9

Is this difficult? And just look at is once and memorise it. Then solve it from what you can remember. Don't solve it while staring at the question or else you're not actually solving it like I told you

it's quite a chalenge
I have a Mensa-high IQ and don't know what "simultaneous" is.... **** my life
I am doing some physics proofs all the time just to remind myself about the principle.
Reply 16
Always.

The best way to become very good at maths is to always have some problem in your mind that you can go around thinking about.

Another which I do all the time is just looking through your math book and doing all the questions in your head.

I think doing math problems in your head is essential for higher level mathematics since you save alot of time checking if you're doing it the right way in your head.
Too bloody often lol. Luckily I have very good short term memory(according to some random test I done) and able to solve long questions in my head. hehe
Original post by lawology

Original post by lawology
nope. shop keepers used to get annoyed with me when i started adding up my coins using pen and paper though, so now i just have to use my fingers. finger counting is very much underrated.

haha
I do the same. I need Maths to be my bestfriend, but i think Maths just don't like me at all. :p:
Reply 19
When me and my friend where drunk once at a party, we where outside waiting for a taxi home, (it was around the time we had just been introduced to the quadratic equation) and I was asking him to solve quadratics in his head and he was doing the same for me.

Another friend who was also in out A level Maths class, but didn't really ''feel'' it, walked over heard us, face palmed us, then walked off again.

Quick Reply

Latest