The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As others have said, Oxford won't even know the applicants race, so it is pretty ridiculous to blame the university. If there is a problem it lies with the secondary school system since it is obvious that either black students are achieving lower marks or not being encouraged to apply to institutions like Oxbridge.
Reply 21
Original post by LaughingBro
Racist or not racist; that is the question!

It's not racist. It's about the quality of the candidates. Lets admit it, black people tend to be less academic on the whole.

What do you think? :holmes:
(edited 13 years ago)
These Guardianistas really need to come back down to planet Earth, instead of living in this fantasy world.

Being a small minority + socio-economic issues that affect a large proportion of the black community (and thus educational factors) + Oxbridge's ridiculously high admissions requirements + a reduction in university places = something like this scenario.

Is the Guardian so clouded by their Daily Mail-esque sensationalism that they cannot see this?

Of course, if there's institutional racism - it should be stamped out. However, I don't buy it in this case.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
A nation of millions, etc. You'd have to be pretty naive not to realise that Oxbridge don't care about social issues one bit. This is just one of its ugly, ugly consequences.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by EWS
A nation of millions, etc. You'd have to be pretty naive not to realise that Oxbridge don't care about social issues one bit. This is just one of its ugly, ugly consequences.

So to show they 'care', what would you suggest Oxbridge do? Start engaging in positive discrimination?
Reply 25
If there were better candidates then there were better candidates, universities shouldn't be used for purposes of social engineering - race, gender, age, sexuality should have no part in who gets an offer.

Original post by Roflhahalol
Do you really have to refer to us as "the blacks".... seriously?

Would you be offended if they said "it wasn't their fault the whites weren't good enough"? No? Stfu then.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lonely14
It's not racist. It's about the quality of the candidates. Lets admit it, black people tend to be less academic on the whole...

I've seen the stats about black people education but we don't have evidence of discrimination/prejudice...yet?
I'm Somali, and you need to stop with this race card, this isn't America where Blacks get everything on a silver plate because they uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused to be slaves. The truth is that British blacks are wasting their lives because of African American culture (gangs, big booty bitches and chicken).
Original post by aeonflux
...Oxford won't even know the applicants race...

I thought everyone gets interviewed? And names can be a dead giveaway of ethnicity!
Reply 29
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
So to show they 'care', what would you suggest Oxbridge do? Start engaging in positive discrimination?

Yes.
Reply 30
I'm pretty sure there is a bit on the UCAS form where you put down your nationality AND your ethnicity...
But meh :dontknow: Wonder if the figures are the same for Cambridge...
Also...I wonder how live their ACS is? Maybe cause there are so few, they all stick together and eat jelof rice :iiam:
(edited 13 years ago)
Urgh, another attempt by the left to try to find racism in just about everything :rolleyes:
I don't think they'd want to be admitted on a lower academic standard on the basis of being black.
Original post by EWS
Yes.

Even though it's illegal :rolleyes:
Original post by EWS
Yes.

Okay so fight alleged discrimination with more discrimination? Great, moral logic you have there!

Oh, and damage Oxbridge's status as two internationally-renowned institutions? If Oxbridge starts sacrificing exceptional candidates for mediocre candidates because they happen to be from an ethnic minority or are gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. - then their standards will fall.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Smeh
I'm pretty sure there is a bit on the UCAS form where you put down your nationality AND your ethnicity...
But meh :dontknow: Wonder if the figures are the same for Cambridge...
Also...I wonder how live their ACS is? Maybe cause there are so few, they all stick together and eat jelof rice :iiam:

If I can recall, ethnicity is not compulsory on your UCAS form.
Okay so fight alleged discrimination with more discrimination? Great, moral logic you have there!

Oh, and damage Oxbridge's status as two internationally-renowned institutions? If Oxbridge starts sacrificing exceptional candidates for mediocre candidates because they happen to be from an ethnic minority or are gay, lesbian, bisexual, etc. - then their standards will fall.

and how come its always black people, why not Asians.
If I can recall, ethnicity is not compulsory on your UCAS form.

I think it is.
Original post by SomaliMan
and how come its always black people, why not Asians.

Nobody makes these stories about Asians because Oxbridge takes a lot of Asians. Clearly there's no direct racial discrimination going on, the figures show that in general fewer black people apply or are good enough to get a place.
Reply 39
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Even though it's illegal :rolleyes:

Since when did Britain have the fairest, most reasonable legal system in the world?

Margaret Thatcher

Please point out what's wrong about my ‘logic’. And what gave you the impression I think that Oxbridge's places on those silly lists are more important than equality and fairness? :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending