The Student Room Group

Patch Adams

Admit it, did this film get you thinking about becoming a doctor?

It's reality-based, would you like to do a stint at the hospital he set up, or one like it?
Reply 1
If Robin Williams had a marked influence on my future life I would be filled with a deep sense of self-loathing.
No, I watched this film for the first time a couple months ago, when I already knew I wanted to be a doctor :smile:. I thought it was a really good film, and I think people should want to become a doctor for the same reasons as Patch - to make a difference to people's lives (hopefully most do it for this reason) instead of only wanting to do it for the money/respect!
Reply 3
Original post by ScottishShortiex

Original post by ScottishShortiex
No, I watched this film for the first time a couple months ago, when I already knew I wanted to be a doctor :smile:. I thought it was a really good film, and I think people should want to become a doctor for the same reasons as Patch - to make a difference to people's lives (hopefully most do it for this reason) instead of only wanting to do it for the money/respect!

The great irony being that Robin Williams made $21m for doing an impression that the subject found offensively reductionist, and kept all of the money for himself. Classy guy.
Reply 4
Original post by NJA
Admit it, did this film get you thinking about becoming a doctor?

It's reality-based, would you like to do a stint at the hospital he set up, or one like it?

No, not at all.
Reply 5
Original post by Phalanges
The great irony being that Robin Williams made $21m for doing an impression that the subject found offensively reductionist,

Not what Patch says according to this site:
"I think Robin himself is compassion, generosity and funny. I like to think that that's who I am, and so I think he was the only actor I wanted to play me, and I think he did a fabulous job, and my friends around the country are feeling that he gives that basic message."

Original post by Phalanges
and kept all of the money for himself. Classy guy.

Hmm, disappointing, I would have thought he would have given some if only not to appear meaner than Dean Walcott in real life!
Reply 6
Original post by NJA
"I think Robin himself is compassion, generosity and funny. I like to think that that's who I am, and so I think he was the only actor I wanted to play me, and I think he did a fabulous job, and my friends around the country are feeling that he gives that basic message."

Or his PR agent :p:
Reply 7

Original post by NJA

Hmm, disappointing, I would have thought he would have given some if only not to appear meaner than Dean Walcott in real life!

Hmmm, I seem to recall an interview I saw where he expressed considerable dislike that Williams had essentially reduced his character down to just making children laugh.

As for compassion and generosity, I don't think he'd have been saying that after the payday. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending