The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EWS

Please point out what's wrong about my ‘logic’. And what gave you the impression I think that Oxbridge's places on those silly lists are more important than equality and fairness? :wink:

It wouldn't be either equal or fair to treat somebodys black skin equal to another persons intelligence.
Reply 42
Are you suggesting they take on any black applicant over other more qualified applicants just because they're black for the sake of 'diversity'? That's ****ing ridiculous and illegal.
The second I saw the headline I knew there'd be a TSR thread! :smile:
I'm black myself and the first thing I thought was 'they don't apply'. Obviously that's a huge generalisation but the other black people I know (including myself) are either not good enough for Oxbridge or feel it's not for them. Regarding the black Law applicant: if he/she is inane enough to think Oxford rejected him/her because of his/her race when universities don't see your name or ethnic background, well I'll just say I'm not surprised they got rejected. I'm sick and tired of everything being about race when it's a clear case (IMO) of fewer black people applying so fewer acceptances or not being good enough.
I will despair if the next headline I see is 'Report shows Oxbridge positively discriminate towards black students in bid to widen access.'
The ironic thing about all this is, it seems to me that black students don't apply for whatever reason and the ones who do don't *seem* to get a place (again, for whatever reason) which probably perpetuates the myth that black students can't get into Oxbridge which makes high achievers less likely to apply?
What do you think?
But anyway, I really don't think it has anything to do with race.
Original post by diamonddust
The second I saw the headline I knew there'd be a TSR thread! :smile:
I'm black myself and the first thing I thought was 'they don't apply'. Obviously that's a huge generalisation but the other black people I know (including myself) are either not good enough for Oxbridge or feel it's not for them. Regarding the black Law applicant: if he/she is inane enough to think Oxford rejected him/her because of his/her race when universities don't see your name or ethnic background, well I'll just say I'm not surprised they got rejected. I'm sick and tired of everything being about race when it's a clear case (IMO) of fewer black people applying so fewer acceptances or not being good enough.
I will despair if the next headline I see is 'Report shows Oxbridge positively discriminate towards black students in bid to widen access.'
The ironic thing about all this is, it seems to me that black students don't apply for whatever reason and the ones who do don't *seem* to get a place (again, for whatever reason) which probably perpetuates the myth that black students can't get into Oxbridge which makes high achievers less likely to apply?
What do you think?
But anyway, I really don't think it has anything to do with race.

are you being serious?

We are talking about 21 colleges not admiting a single black student. We are talking about 0, zilch, nada.

Merton hasn't admitted a black student in 5 years, are you seriously saying that in 5 years there have been no black students that have attained AAA at A2 and were good enough for Merton?

Comments like your's really make me wonder.
Original post by Delaney
Ohh please, they're picking the best candidates and it's hardly Oxbridge's fault if none of them are black.

Exactly! Jesus, why is racism screamed so often these days?
Original post by EWS
Please point out what's wrong about my ‘logic’.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination, regardless of the fluffy adjective it has. You are harping on about 'equality' and 'fairness', denouncing any alleged discrimination but then proceeding to advocate another form of discrimination that is neither fair nor equal - it's just tool to window-dress organisations.

Your logic is hypocritical and flies in the face of the moral high ground you have placed yourself on.

And what gave you the impression I think that Oxbridge's places on those silly lists are more important than equality and fairness? :wink:

Because poorer higher education standards have a ricochet effect on practically everything?
Original post by i_hate_teeth
are you being serious?

We are talking about 21 colleges not admiting a single black student. We are talking about 0, zilch, nada.

Merton hasn't admitted a black student in 5 years, are you seriously saying that in 5 years there have been no black students that have attained AAA at A2 and were good enough for Merton?

Merton has 300 undergraduates. Juxtapose that figure with black applicants over the years and other factors and the result is not that shocking. Disappointing - but it does not unequivocally scream institutional racism in my view.
Reply 48
Original post by Krebs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment

Has this person not stopped to think his/her personal statement might not be up to scratch?? There could be any number of reasons. So many people apply to Oxbridge it's rediculous. They cherry pick the best of the best. Look at me with my perfect grades might not be enough if he's coming up against thousands of 'Look at me with my perfect grades and I volunteered here and have worked for this company for x amount of years'.

Guys need to stop pullin the racism card for everything.
Original post by i_hate_teeth
are you being serious?

The numbers involved are tiny - applications for a single college (there are 30) from a group who are a very small proportion of applications. It wouldn't actually be that statistically improbable I expect. Apparently only 292 black students achieved AAA at A-level (from this article, standard of analysis not high http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/06/the-oxbridge-whitewash-black-students).

Certainly black students are under-represented at universities with high entry criteria - I'd be surprised if Bristol, etc. are much better in this regard incidentally. Likewise people from poorer backgrounds and from poorer regions of the UK. This reflects, by and large, what comes out of schools and it isn't the job of universities to socially engineer away the consequences of state school underperformance - it's the job of the school system.

It'll take more than these numbers to demonstrate Oxford\Cambridge's institutional racism in my book. My experience of the former is that they try very hard with access - the most difficult part is overcoming people's entrenched belief about Oxbridge elitism to get them to apply in the first place.

The proportion of ethnic minority students at a postgraduate level and the fact that certain minorities are over-represented based on the population as a whole seems to suggest against an explanation as simple as "Oxford\Cambridge are massively racist!".

The stat about just the one black Caribbean student admitted should be qualified that you can tick as Black British, Black African, Mixed Race as well IIRC.
(edited 13 years ago)
Who gives a crap. Oxford are a university whose priority is finding the most academically able students. Universities are not engines for social justice.
Original post by insoms
Has this person not stopped to think his/her personal statement might not be up to scratch?? There could be any number of reasons. So many people apply to Oxbridge it's rediculous. They cherry pick the best of the best. Look at me with my perfect grades might not be enough if he's coming up against thousands of 'Look at me with my perfect grades and I volunteered here and have worked for this company for x amount of years'.

Guys need to stop pullin the racism card for everything.

This.

I honestly can't believe that Oxbridge would take a look at the form option marked 'ethnicity', see black and then reject pre-interview.

If this did happen, then it's disgraceful - but I think the notion is too far-fetched.
Original post by SomaliMan
I'm Somali, and you need to stop with this race card, this isn't America where Blacks get everything on a silver plate because they uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused to be slaves. The truth is that British blacks are wasting their lives because of African American culture (gangs, big booty bitches and chicken).

shhhh we love our big booty bitches!
Reply 53
Original post by SomaliMan
I'm Somali, and you need to stop with this race card, this isn't America where Blacks get everything on a silver plate because they uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuused to be slaves. The truth is that British blacks are wasting their lives because of African American culture (gangs, big booty bitches and chicken).

i love big booty bitches and chicken too though. does that make me black? or am i just wasting my life
i can't think of a better way to waste it
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
This.

I honestly can't believe that Oxbridge would take a look at the form option marked 'ethnicity', see black and then reject pre-interview.

If this did happen, then it's disgraceful - but I think the notion is too far-fetched.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Uni's don't see that part of the Ucas form until they give an offer or of course an interview.
Original post by Einheri
If there were better candidates then there were better candidates, universities shouldn't be used for purposes of social engineering - race, gender, age, sexuality should have no part in who gets an offer.

Would you be offended if they said "it wasn't their fault the whites weren't good enough"? No? Stfu then.

No my point is we are equal so f you.
I like to think where there's smoke there's fire.
Reply 57
This is quite suprising although I don't see how the race card can be played here.
Reply 58
Including race is pretty much against the foundations of multiculturalism. Race isn't a factor, it's taken as each person's identity.
I'm black and I think not many black people apply. I didn't apply because Oxbridge isn't for me and I felt like it was a watse of a choice since I already want to do a competitive course. Some of my black friends don't apply because they felt the same even though they have excellent grades. Some apply and just don't get a place for whatever reason. The world won't end if you don't get into Oxford or Cambridge and the best people aren't just going to be there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending